PDA

View Full Version : "new" BRG R1's

itmanta
08-09-2007, 08:40 PM
So I was looking into tires for next year and have heard some very positive feedback from my tire guys on the "new" BFG R1's. Has anyone invested in them yet and what do you think. So far I have heard they are real fast...

JohnRW
08-10-2007, 11:00 AM
So I was looking into tires for next year and have heard some very positive feedback from my tire guys on the "new" BFG R1's. Has anyone invested in them yet and what do you think. So far I have heard they are real fast...
[/b]

I believe that's called "marketing", and not necessarily backed up by actual performance. I race a lot...Nat'l and Reg'l...and haven't seen them at all.

Of course, I have a personal bias in that BFG were complete and total asshats the last time they had a roadrace tire. Personal experience with their trackside tire support at Nat'l and Pro races makes me a "never go back" as far as BFG/Michelin is concerned. They're lucky no one had firearms at the season-closing SCCA pro weekend at VIR in 2001....

...but that's just my opinion.

racer_tim
08-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Just went out to Tire Rack to look for the BFG R-1, I see that the smallest tire is a 205-50zr-15 so that limits what cars can run them.

I'd try the Avon Tech R in a 14" tire first. If you need a 13" then it's either Hoosier or Kuhmo.

shwah
08-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Hankook also has 13" sizes.

Jake
08-11-2007, 07:15 AM
GRM just did a test of road race tires and said that the R1 was faster than the Hoosier R6.

It also said that the new Hankook is probably better than either one for a lightweight car that is easy on tires.

tnord
08-11-2007, 09:26 AM
eh....i wasn't too keen on that test. it was more of an autox test than a roadracing one.

sirchadd
08-12-2007, 11:12 PM
R1 might have been faster, but for my budget the toyo's and hoosiers help me most sffording the race season. On my car they last, love that.

itmanta
08-14-2007, 10:41 PM
I guess we will need to let this play out a bit... The information I recieved was from a couple of top local teams that can afford to test these things. Their feedback was relayed to me via a local tire supplier that does not need to do any promoting.

Z3_GoCar
08-14-2007, 10:49 PM
I was wondering becasue aren't they the same as the Nitto NT1's? I do know someone running those and being very fast, almost as fast as on Yokohama slicks just not for the whole race.

James

Russell
08-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I read the GRM test to. I was tempted by the BFG's for a moment..... But when I buy a set of Hoosiers from Appalachian Tire, I get great track support. With the BFG's I would get a set of tires that no one at the track knows anything about. I'll take the Hoosiers and support for the same money thank you very much.

But It will be interesting to see what the BFG's do....

Knestis
08-15-2007, 08:27 AM
eh....i wasn't too keen on that test. it was more of an autox test than a roadracing one.
[/b]
Ditto - I saw the basic test methodology and pretty much ignored the rest of the article as not applying to me.

K

philstireservice
08-15-2007, 09:13 AM
[/b]

Bingo !!!

Sandro
08-19-2007, 11:24 AM
[/b]

agreed also, if they wanted to compare hoosiers in that test they should have used the A6

Cobrar05
08-28-2007, 08:57 PM
I have a set of the R1's in my garage that we will test at Roebling Road in September for a Mustang publication and race at VIR in October on my Cobra R Mustang. Ive heard good things, but have seen very few at the race track if any.

If interested I will be sure to let you know how they do.

Ron
08-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Hey Knestis, speaking of tires, what tires will you run for the 13 hour and how many sets will you use.
We are going to try to run it again and not hit the wall in the first 30 minutes like in 2004.

JeffYoung
08-29-2007, 08:11 AM
Never run a "B" car in teh 13 hour, but for the SMs we did run Toyos were the only way to go. OUr cars typically made it on six tires -- just needed to change the left sides about 8-9 hours in.

Greg Amy
08-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Ron, we run Hoosier R6s and we use - at most - one pair of front tires per 3 hours, plus one set of rears for the whole race. We can probably run 4.5 hours on the fronts if we stint at 1.5 hours versus 3 hours. - GA

242volvoITB
09-09-2007, 12:52 PM
[/b]
ill let you know next year :D ill be running them

itmanta
09-10-2007, 08:48 PM
ill let you know next year :D ill be running them
[/b]

What about next weekend slow poke :o :o :o