PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Shrouding and Moving

Sandro
08-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Is it legal to box in the radiator so all the air entering through the grill goes through the radiator and doesn't escape around the sides?? Don't see any mention in the GCR

"Any radiator may be used, provided it is mounted in the original location, maintains the same plane as the original core and requires no body or structure modifications to install."

So does moving the radiator 3 inches to the right and drilling two new holes count as legal or illegal?

pfcs49
08-08-2007, 10:36 PM
yes, if it is in the confines of the original aperture. Any shrouding to block the original opening can be mounted to the (VW) radiator quite adequately (aluminum sheet metal trimmed w/1700 Bus engine compartment skirt mtl or Volvo door gasketing). phil

RSTPerformance
08-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Is it legal to box in the radiator so all the air entering through the grill goes through the radiator and doesn't escape around the sides?? Don't see any mention in the GCR

"Any radiator may be used, provided it is mounted in the original location, maintains the same plane as the original core and requires no body or structure modifications to install."

So does moving the radiator 3 inches to the right and drilling two new holes count as legal or illegal?[/b]

Doesn't sound like it would be in the original location to me...

as for adding a box to "trap" the air into the radiator, I feel it is legal as long as it is considered part of your "new" custom radiator as long as the added material doesn't alter the body or structure to install it.

Raymond

Chris Wire
08-09-2007, 01:20 PM
...I feel it is legal as long as it is considered part of your "new" custom radiator as long as the added material doesn't alter the body or structure to install it.[/b]

Additionally, those that run a splitter w/ undertray could mount the shrouding to the legal undertray and accomplish the same thing. It makes the installation of the splitter/undertray a bit more difficult unless permanently mounted.

pfcs49
08-09-2007, 08:50 PM
when the new radiator is 3" shorter you can move it 3"

JeffYoung
08-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Someone pointed out to me, just attach the air shroud to something that is "free" -- either the spoiler/undertray/splitter or to the radiator itself.

By the way, although my car is an oddball, you guys might find it interesting that a good shroud and "director" that I have attached as a spoiler knocked about 30 degrees of my temps. Incredible improvement.

shwah
08-10-2007, 08:32 AM
The rule actually says

original location
same plane as original
no structural modifications

Holes and mounting brackets are not structural modifications. Next thing you know the same folks that tell us a driver seat constitutes a cage mounting point will tell us that we have to trap our radiators in place instead of bolting them :wacko:

Same plan covers your smaller radiator.