PDA

View Full Version : Removing Koni Insert

mbuskuhl
08-08-2007, 06:09 PM
I must be stupid. I can't figure out how to get an insert out of a strut tube. I had some Koni inserts show up today that were already in the strut tube and with the threaded collars (all used). I'm going to send the inserts off to get checked. I've tried google and some forums with no luck, I'm afraid to bang on them to hard.

How the heck do the inserts come out? :bash_1_:

924Guy
08-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Is it a matter of getting the strut nut off? We always use a REALLY LARGE pipe wrench...

Eagle7
08-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm assuming you can remove the retaining bolt in the bottom. Once that's out I put a flat-ended punch into the hole and tapped it out.

chuck baader
08-08-2007, 08:11 PM
When the gland nut on top is removed, they should pull out by hand....IF everything is straight. Check straightness first. Only other thing I know is rusted in place, then you should be able to remove by clamping the shaft and gently tapping on the strut tube. I have found Amsoil 75W90 works wonders on rust. Good luck, Chuck

mbuskuhl
08-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the responses, can you elaborate as in how to remove an insert for dummies 101? I'm not sure what the gland nut is, possibly the thing on top with 2 holes? Or is that the strut nut or something else? I'm not sure it has a retaining bolt. Call me stupid, I have never put an insert in a strut tube before. I want to get these inserts out, get them checked and then used in my strut tubes with my collars/seats. I spent an hour researching and didn't find an answer.

They are double adjustable, the bottom adjuster is about 1" up inside the tube. Maybe these pics help. Something has to hold the insert in the tube or it would move up on rebound, what holds it in? Thanks!

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3929/pict0157jo6.jpg
http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/5302/pict0156zz5.jpg
http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/6576/pict0155as0.jpg

Eagle7
08-08-2007, 10:40 PM
My comment was with regard to the center picture. Put a punch into the hole, hold the strut tube, and whack.

dickita15
08-09-2007, 04:13 AM
and yes the thing on the top with 2 holes is the gland nut. put the strut in a vise and remove that nut with the big pipe wrench.

ddewhurst
08-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Mark, this instruction is kind of like if all else fails, CALL Lee Grimes of Koni at 1-859-586-4100. Tricks of the trade. ;)

240zdave
08-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Your 3rd photo shows the top of the strut with the gland nut in place. It is screwed in to the top of the strut tube and torqued down. You have to remove it, after which the insert can be lifted out. Pipe wrench or a gland nut wrench (see link below) should do it.

http://www.autopart.com/TOOLS/TOOLSMAIN/tool/T_8600.htm

08-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Don't try the punch in the bottom hole, this will lead to very expensive oil leaking out of the insert. Don't believe it is expensive oil, ask Koni how much to put it back in!!!

The round deal with two holes in it on top is the gland nut. You can make your own wrench out of a piece of 3/16-1/4" flat stock with a big hole for the piston rod and two small holes that line up with the holes in the top. Put some round stock through those holes. Steel dowel pins work great for this. A small tack on each dowel to keep them in and you have a wrench. Clamp the strut in a vise and loosen the gland nut. The insert should come out when the nut is loose. There is probably a section of round tubing inside the housing between the bottom of the housing and the bottom of the strut. This centers the wheel travel and allows you to reach the adjuster.

Mike

PS - Say hi to Lee at Koni for me. Mike Mackaman, knew him in Kentucky before he worked for Koni, great guy.

mbuskuhl
08-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks everyone. They are out. I tried a GIANT pipe wrench but that just kept slipping. I made a gland nut wrench at a buddies shop out of 2 bolts, an exhaust clamp and scrap metal but that didn't work. Finally I took them to an import shop and they had a gland nut wrench, $20 later and they had them out for me. The nuts were very tight. I'll be buying my own wrench now!