PDA

View Full Version : Weight distribution hitch and sway bar control arm

Hammer
08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I recently purchased a 24 ft Haulmark enclosed trailer that will be carrying a ITA Nissan 240sx. I am guessing the trailer will weigh 6500lbs - 7000 lbs fully loaded. I will be pulling the trailer with a 1999 Ford Expedition 5.4L SUV. Included with the purchase was a Curt Trunion Style weight distribution hitch and a Curt sway bar control that were not hooked up. My questions are should I hook up one or the other, or both. I will be towing in Florida only and the furthest tow would be 200 miles. I will mostly be towing to Sebring (90m miles) and Daytona (50 miles). The Expedition does have the self leveling option. Any feed back on how either of these products improves the rise will be appreciated.

JoshS
08-05-2007, 07:02 PM
You should absolutely hook up both.

But I think you'll soon be upsizing your tow vehicle. My '03 Expedition 5.4L (newer body style) had a very hard time, power-wise, with my 24' TPD with extra height, despite being rated to tow much more weight. I replaced it with a 8.1L Suburban and couldn't be happier.

mlytle
08-05-2007, 09:20 PM
+1 on everything josh said. you are a little light on the tow vehicle for that size trailer, regardless of what ford claims is the capacity. the load dist system and sway system will help off set the tv inadequacy a bit. being in florida where the biggest hill is a highway overpass will help too.

you might be underestimating the weight of your trailer too. curb weight empty on my haulmark 26 is 5k. plus cabinets, tools, extra wheels, spare parts, cooler, a/c and oh yeah, an ITR car puts it closer to 10k lbs.

Hammer
08-06-2007, 12:06 AM
The trailer is a Haulmark Thrifty package. It is currently bare in the inside and there is no a/c. I will be adding a tirerack to start. The weight on the MSO for the trailer is 3,530 lbs.

For the sway bar control, did you weld or bolt the bracket to the trailer tongue.

Thanks for all the input.

JamesB
08-06-2007, 08:53 AM
For short hauls with little elevation changes the load bars do a great job with anti sway. But longer hauls through the bigger hills and dales around here it makes a huge improvement for the 20' enclosed a buddy hauls with (I used it for Watkins Glen in 2006.)

tom_sprecher
08-06-2007, 10:49 AM
+1 on everything josh said. you are a little light on the tow vehicle for that size trailer, regardless of what ford claims is the capacity. the load dist system and sway system will help off set the tv inadequacy a bit. being in florida where the biggest hill is a highway overpass will help too.

you might be underestimating the weight of your trailer too. curb weight empty on my haulmark 26 is 5k. plus cabinets, tools, extra wheels, spare parts, cooler, a/c and oh yeah, an ITR car puts it closer to 10k lbs.
[/b]

+2 on everything josh said. I have a 24' pulled by an F-250 w/6.0 diesel but I'm a little further North (Hotlanta) and we have some hills here.

It doesn't matter what your wife says, bigger is better. ;)

DavidM
08-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I'd definitely hook up the weight distribution hitch. The sway control you may or may not need. I got one for my trailer and have never installed it. I'm pulling with a 7.3L F350 dually, though, and the truck weighs about the same as the loaded trailer plus it has dual rear wheels. All the weight is down low in the trailer which I think helps stabilize it compared to a RV trailer.

You should tow up to Roebling in Savannah as that won't be too bad a haul for you. Sounds like you bought the 240 that was for sale in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I was going to pick it up if nobody else got it.

David

Hammer
08-07-2007, 12:09 AM
That is the car I bought. I hope to bring it out for the Labor Day race at Sebring. I have been to Roebling a couple of times in the past with my IT7. I am looking to get the feel for the car this year at Sebring and Daytona and may venture north to Roebling next year.

DavidM
08-07-2007, 12:59 PM
That was a steal of a deal for everything you got. Hope to see you up "north" sometime.

David

mlytle
08-07-2007, 09:11 PM
The trailer is a Haulmark Thrifty package. It is currently bare in the inside and there is no a/c. I will be adding a tirerack to start. The weight on the MSO for the trailer is 3,530 lbs.

For the sway bar control, did you weld or bolt the bracket to the trailer tongue.

Thanks for all the input.
[/b]

both my 20ft wells cargo and 26ft haulmark had them bolted on. work fine. be careful towing the first few times as you get used to the size of the trailer. there is a lot of sail area back there.