PDA

View Full Version : What about the Boxster?

Zneed4speed
08-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Anyone thinking about putting together a Boxster?

JoshS
08-04-2007, 08:25 PM
You should do it!

I considered it, before I bought the Z3. I chose the BMW mostly because I know them better, I like them, and I was afraid it could be quite costly to race a Boxster. But I think it would make a great car. I really enjoyed autocrossing the Boxster back in '98.

Zneed4speed
08-04-2007, 11:07 PM
I AX'd mine w030 in '97 and didn't enjoy it. Even though all the magazines said it did not handle like the 911 it was spin city until some big alignment changes. Sold it and bought a 968 that my wife Polly used to win the ASL '98 National Championship.
Anyway though the initial purchase might be lower I'm afraid the 968 would be more costly to race.

What to you think would be costly for the Boxster? Engine prep?

JoshS
08-04-2007, 11:40 PM
I think I remember that you had a bunch of trouble at the Pros in yours with axle hop, etc. Maybe that was someone else, that's pretty much ancient history at this point. I never did a Pro in that car, but we had great luck, 100% stock w/M030 and BFGs, at regional events and at a couple of Tours. After I won AS at the '98 San Diego tour I expected a lot of people to buy Boxsters, but pretty much no one did until the 2.7 came out. I wish we'd taken that car to Kansas. Only big loss I had for the one season we raced that car was to our own Andy Bettencourt at Devens in '98, if memory serves. But that was a serious horsepower course with a drag-race start. Boxster lost a second right at the start.

Anyway ... you would know better than me about costs, being in the Porsche world, but I assume that body parts and engine work is pretty expensive ... but I don't really know.

I'd love to see a Boxster in ITR. I think it would make a great race car.

jlucas
08-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't know what the PCA Boxster Cup rules are but it would be killer for them if there could do that and ITR with the same car.

Zneed4speed
08-06-2007, 01:57 AM
I believe the cost for the Boxster would be in engine development, there are some very strong cars in ITR and a Box might have a hard time.
The '97 has 201 crank HP, but weaker torque, don't know of any engine builders doing them, probably no .40 over pistons on the shelf, engines already well balanced and ported. No cheap R&P choices. New ECU rule might help tuning.
Hopefully bodywork wouldn't be needed but a year ago a new Box fender was cheaper than a used 968 fender. Front and rear bumper covers may be costly though.

POC has the Boxster spec class, spec suspension, no engine overbore, no LSD, but they can run at 2700lb with driver.
They make a big deal about needing the "3rd radiator" which probably wouldn't fly in IT.

Maybe I posted the ? looking for someone to talk me out of it, but... if you see an abused one needing some TLC, send me an email ;) .

shwah
08-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Can't fit the 3rd rad, but could upgrade what is there with better units. I too think it would be neat to see, but wonder how competitive it could be. My bet is that for the next few years at least, any car that is fully developed will be a winner. After that we may see some rise to the top as the class gets more miles on it.