PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Rabbit ITC > ITB

awd92talontsi
08-01-2007, 06:45 AM
I have a 1980 Rabbit with the 1.6L in it. ITC is pretty sparse around here and I was contemplating building it into an prod car, but thought that if I could put the 1.8L I could have fun in ITB. As far as i know the chassis are the same with the difference between the 83/84 rabbits being the engine and trans.

Is this legal? or should I just sell the thing and buy and ITA car?

Bryan

Knestis
08-01-2007, 07:01 AM
It's not legal. It's a stupid rule but there you go...

K

shwah
08-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Like Kirk said, it is not legal, which is dumb.

I don't know that anyone would be able to ID the car as a Rabbit vs. GTI if it is a square light version. Not that I'm suggesting bending the rules....

You could transfer your cage, suspension and body shell to a set of GTI VIN plates as well....

itracer
08-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Legally you can run the 1.7L in ITB for the 1980 car. But, as others have said -- there is no physical difference between the square headlight rabbit and the GTI bodies. Only bolt on stuff and the VINs. I woudl not protest you for that, because I know there is no advantage.

Zephyr
08-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Sadly it is not legal. I had the same issue with my old Civic, a DX body with a SI driveline, not legal so I didn't run it with SCCA.

Bill Miller
08-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Legally you can run the 1.7L in ITB for the 1980 car. But, as others have said -- there is no physical difference between the square headlight rabbit and the GTI bodies. Only bolt on stuff and the VINs. I woudl not protest you for that, because I know there is no advantage.
[/b]

Actually, the 1.7 is an ITC car.

Anyway, as the others have said, not legal and a dumb rule. Even more so in light of the recent Fiero proposals.

itracer
08-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Actually, the 1.7 is an ITC car.
[/b]
oops. missed that change. At one point it was a B car (I think) :blink:

BlueStreak
08-01-2007, 01:53 PM
It is illegal.

I'd do it anyway and consider it a badge of honor if someone had to use that to protest me!

I just spent a fortune saving a car I should have re-shelled because of this STUPID (for this particular car) rule, and I won't do that again. Next time I will uninstall the chassis as a whole and replace it :)

awd92talontsi
08-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, that about does it for that i suppose.

I'll probably pick up a GTI some time and swap everything over. Will give me a chance to build the car and learn its ins and outs. Downside to buying an already built race car.

Thanks for the replies.

bryan

Knestis
08-01-2007, 10:53 PM
If everyone who thinks this is a stupid rule had written to support the change when it has been requested, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation today. Ten letters on one topic is pretty much a landslide.

K

awd92talontsi
08-02-2007, 12:01 AM
How do we get the ball rolling on that? I've been a member of midwestern council for awhile but not SCCA. Nobody in council would give me grief about the swap, but SCCA seems to be a bit more of a stickler for the rules.

Somebody mentioned a fiero rule that seemed similar to this. what was that?

bryan

shwah
08-02-2007, 12:33 PM
I wrote my letter back when this was brought up last.

gran racing
08-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd do it anyway and consider it a badge of honor if someone had to use that to protest me![/b]

While I and many others wouldn't have an issue with it personally, it still isn't legal to do right now. Write a letter to the powers that be and get some support from others. The issue with building a car that does not meet the rules even if others won't protest you is what can happen down the road. Maybe you get competitive and want to attend the ARRC? Or maybe you want to sell it in the future (the buyer should be made aware of this).

Bill Miller
08-04-2007, 06:07 PM
If everyone who thinks this is a stupid rule had written to support the change when it has been requested, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation today. Ten letters on one topic is pretty much a landslide.

K
[/b]

Kirk,

The fault in that logic is that you're actually applying logic. You assume that all issues are treated the same. That being said, I requested they do away with this YEARS ago.