PDA

View Full Version : A funny story...

pballance
07-31-2007, 07:58 PM
I thought I would share this here. I posted this for sale ad in the local forum. I thought some of you guys might find it funny. BTW, when I brought this car home it was a complete car, suspension and drivetrain were still installed. Enjoy :D

1972 240Z project car, RallyX or DD, needs some work, CHEAP

I am the third owner of this car. It is a 1972 Datsun 240Z. I found this car while being the good Dad and buying a replacement, un-dented, junkyard front fender for my younger son’s 240SX.. I quickly returned home, picked up the trailer and returned to the junk yard to secure my find. We tried to roll it on to the trailer but there just wasn’t enough “umph” for the two of us to push it on board. With a little shove from the junkyard pickup we were able to load the car and we were headed back to Huntsville.

I couldn’t believe my luck when I found a nearly complete 240 sitting in the junk yard with virtually no rust in the body. I had found a usable parts car for my fledgling racing efforts and this car was going to help my spares list quite a bit. This car had undergone a partial restoration many years ago. The side marker lights have been shaved and most of the car displayed only surface rust after being sanded and placed in primer. The car has no interior to speak of but does have air-conditioning.

The engine is complete save for missing a valve/cam cover. The car appears to have not been wrecked as I could not find any evidence of body work save for the unfinished restoration. Now I should let the potential buyer know that the gas tank was missing when I found this car and it may be easier and cheaper to replace with a fuel cell.

As I continued to look over this car I couldn’t figure out why it was in a junk yard. The body was in amazingly good shape for a 35 year old car and the drive train was complete. It was then I discovered the reason for the incomplete restoration. As I was removing the Cadillac and Buick grill components that had been stored in side of the 240 my eye caught glimpse of something purple in the favorite hidden compartment of Z cars. Some of you may remember the two small storage compartments in the rear deck of the 240’s that was completely hidden by the carpet.

I moved the trash aside and I found a 70’s era purple and blue speckled, hand glazed, very well made Bong. Tommy Chong would love to have this highly collectible memorabilia from the Woodstock era. Of course, he and many other “tuned in” smokers of the time may not remember much of that era and may have actually owned this pipe themselves. I now knew why the restoration was only partial. The attention span of the previous owner was obviously so short from the years of “hitting the pipe” that he just couldn’t complete the body work. It also explained the numerous candy and potato chip bags that were scattered throughout the car as well as the old rectangular “Coke” cases that were used to hold 24 bottles of Coca-Cola.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ITSa240/PartsC...513165837468258 (http://picasaweb.google.com/ITSa240/PartsCarPics/photo#5093513165837468258)

I have removed several parts from this car and it is definitely a “fixer-upper.” It would make a good project car for someone who would like to hone their restoration skills.

My reason for selling: I have removed a few parts for my racing effort and hate to see this shell go to waste. You will also need interior parts and some suspension parts. I have all of the parts necessary to make this a first class daily driver at additional cost of course. You will need a trailer to move it as it is not in drivable condition at this time; however some of you may disagree with me if the motor was running and still installed in the car. In fact, this would be an excellent candidate for a Small block Chevy transplant as most of the removal work has already been done.

I will entertain interesting trades for this project. My price is one pitcher of beer (my choice of brand) at the next TVR meeting. If you want the Bong as well the price is $100.00 and one pitcher of beer. Pictures are below.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ITSa240/PartsCarPics