PDA

View Full Version : help needed fast

ldp82
07-30-2007, 09:17 PM
my 1992 Golf GL 5-speed will not start. this is my daily and i need it to get to work. i can push start it but it will not turn over on its own. The car is in Lexington MA and i work in Danvers MA. i would like to find a shop on the way but if a good shop is a little out of the way please let me know.
thanks for your help,
-Luke

itracer
07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
If you can't get it figured out on your own:

Brian's Garage in Needham. Right off of 128.

VW and Audi only.

analog74
07-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Make sure the two small wires coming off the starter have clean and tight connectors.

I've had one loose or dirty on both an A1 and A2 GTI and if this happens -- no cranky!

Hope it's this easy for you.

ldp82
07-30-2007, 10:22 PM
After messing around with it some more, I have a weird connector hanging by the relays on top of the fuse box, plugging this into one of the open spots it fit into (between relays) did nothing, and was able to get it to start by hitting under the steering wheel on the "knee pad" it will no longer start no matter what I do.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

shwah
07-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Make sure that you are engaging the clutch-starter lockout (clutch all the way on the floor when cranking), or that the switch on the pedal cluster is functioning.

Sandro
07-31-2007, 12:05 AM
if you were hitting under the steering wheel and it was starting could be the wire going to the starter solenoid. Not too familiar with the MKII's but on a MK1 it is a brown and red wire. Check to see if the wire is broken or maybe it just fell off the connector.

You could also get someone to take a piece of wire about 12 gauge to be safe and touch it on the big ring terminal on the starter(where battery connects) to the little spade connector where a smaller wire is connected. This will help emininate if it is the starter or a wire/ignition switch problem. Ignition will need to be in the on position and MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL would not wan't to run over your helper on accident.

ldp82
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
i hope this fixes it.

after 12 years the starter died (not gradually) i hope i don’t start killing starters.
i also had a few broken ground straps

thanks for the help guys!