PDA

View Full Version : 2ND GEN. AXLE REPLACEMENT

bldn10
07-28-2007, 11:54 AM
OK, first off let me confirm this: I am assuming that all 2nd Gen. 5-lug axles are interchangeable - right? Specifically, I am trying to install a '91 axle into an '87 chassis (and also assume an early diff.).

What's the friggin trick to get the diff. end of the axle to line up w/ the bolts? I need like another 1/16 of a damn inch. :bash_1_:

Chris Wire
07-28-2007, 12:27 PM
I think the only difference is the T2 and that is in the stub axles, not the axle shaft itself. Is the spacing affected by too much suspension droop?

bldn10
07-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Chris, I have the hub assembly supported w/ a jack and it is about level. Actually, I think I'll try raising or lowering it a bit since that should give me a little more room - maybe that 1/16".

Chris Wire
07-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Just a suggestion, I'd put the axle through the wheel hub and run the axle nut just enough to get the threads started, then secure the inner axle to the stub axle on the diff. This should give you enough play to get the inner flange fully tight before tightening the final out axle nut.

Hope it helps.

bldn10
08-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Raising/lowering the hub in relation to the diff. flange did not work either. Since no one chimed in w/ the secret trick to it, I gave up and freed up the entire hub assembly. That worked. I'd say that's the trick; shoot you can do it that way w/o even getting underneath the car!