PDA

View Full Version : A1 vs. A2

chewy8000
07-28-2007, 01:27 AM
I am picking up an ITB A1 next weekend and was curious what the pros and cons were for the A1 and A2. I did a ton of research on each and decided to go with the A1. I noticed the A2 is heavier but most of the A1's I looked at for sale were running faster times. I know alot of it depends on the driver, but I just didn't find to many well developed A2's for sale in my price range. I'm a novice with my first school in Oct. and just hope I made the right decision with the A1.

Thanks
T

jlinfert
07-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Personally I think an A3 Golf, properly developed, will be the car to beat in ITB. Especially if the new ECU rules go into effect. Having said that, the A2 is probably a better B car than an A1. Certainly body parts and such are MUCH easier to find. and 10 to 1 compression is nice too!

JimLill
07-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Personally I think an A3 Golf, properly developed, will be the car to beat in ITB. Especially if the new ECU rules go into effect. Having said that, the A2 is probably a better B car than an A1. Certainly body parts and such are MUCH easier to find. and 10 to 1 compression is nice too!
[/b]

Parts are easier on an A2 (but getting harder)

A2 has more structural strength

chewy8000
07-28-2007, 11:57 AM
The A3 would be awesome but more expensive. I will eventually try to build one later on. I spoke to the junkyard man down the road that I have gotten to know real well from pulling parts and he has 4 or 5 A1 spares to pull from so parts should be fine.

zracre
07-28-2007, 06:42 PM
The A1 is an awesome choice for ITB...they are still relatively competitive and you will learn alot driving it...welcome to the madness!

BlueStreak
07-28-2007, 07:47 PM
I picked an A1 as my second IT car. My first was an ITA RX-3 that I screwed up and sold after I thought I was retiring.

I went A1 because it was the right car at the right price. A1 vs. A2? I've raced both, and I think the A2 has a slight, and I mean slight, edge right now.

Never had or raced an A3, so I'm not qualified to comment, but my gut says the developed A3 will be the best of all three.

chewy8000
07-29-2007, 12:23 AM
I think the A1 is a good car for me. I'm picking up the Washay/Currie rabbit in the classified section next weekend. I spoke to a bunch of people about this car even John Weisberg who built it. It looks like a well developed and a fast car. Just couldn't beat the price for a turn key car with a good history.

JLawton
07-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Thats a great car to get started in! I think you made the right choice. There's tons of support, easy to work on AND you don't have to worry about $10K ECUs..... :D

jlinfert
07-29-2007, 08:08 AM
The A3 would be awesome but more expensive. I will eventually try to build one later on. I spoke to the junkyard man down the road that I have gotten to know real well from pulling parts and he has 4 or 5 A1 spares to pull from so parts should be fine.
[/b]
Man are you lucky! A1 parts cars are basically non-existant around here. We were SOOOOO lucky to score my Scirocco as a near pristine driving street car. Some friends have given us stuff when they changed classes or stopped racing, but if I ever bang the car hard I am done.

gran racing
07-29-2007, 08:53 AM
The car you're buying is a very fast car. I've only raced against it once, but I came in second that day (to that car :bash_1_: ).

rabbidmk1
07-29-2007, 09:17 PM
I have owned and raced a mk1 and now currently run a mk3. I find that you cannot get the mk1 low enough without breaking a ton of axles, good luck with that. The construction of the mk2 and mk3 is easier to work on also ( in my opinion) because of the subframe front suspension design. My first race at Blackhawk farms in my new MK3 but me just over 1.5 seconds faster per lap then my previous best in the mk1. (with a 2 year break since I ran there last)

Either way is a better choice then a Jap car though! :D

Aaron