PDA

View Full Version : tire decisions.....need help

vr6guy
07-25-2007, 02:23 PM
i know this has been discussed previously, but i would just like some opinions on tire selection. I used to run in ITS 6 years ago. Which means i have to do some catching up on newer tire technologies. I recently purchased an ITB vw, which is well sorted, straight, and with previous owner extremely competitive. I ran one track day at nhis earlier this month and the tires that were on it definitely are showing their age. In this months sportscar mag i noticed that the avon tech R/A for my size, are listed at $109. Also I noticed the closeout special for the hankook z211 r compound on sale for $94. would either one of these be suitable for a few track days, and get me through a drivers school? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Marc Rider

ps for next year when i race i plan to run either the kumho v710's or the hoosier r6

JamesB
07-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Either tire will get you through a few track days and your school. I have not tried the Z211, but those I know that have said it was pretty much equal to a shaved toyo RA1. the Avon R/A should hold out well, a friend raced on them last season, they are not too shabby in the rain at full tread.

vr6guy
07-29-2007, 02:13 PM
thanks for the input.....still on the fence. Does anyone have any other suggestions for any other type of tire?

JamesB
07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Im a tried and tru kind of guy, if I had to blow money on tires that would last for what your after I would go with RA1's. My full treads have taken me through 2 schools, a couple of wet qulifings, 1 wet instructing day, and 4 dry track instructing days with some time left in them (though I expect them to be toast after the instructing season is done.)

jlinfert
07-30-2007, 11:57 AM
When you start racing definately go with the R6 Hoosier. I absolutely love them. We got through 3 driver's schools, 2 regional weekends, an enduro and a double SARRC weekend on 6 tires. 3 are still fine for use on the rear of the car and three are done.

tnord
07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Z211s are junk.

of those two, i'd go with the Avon.

Z3_GoCar
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
RA-1's are a good tire, they're even and don't fall off drastically. I ran a set of 6/32's RA1's untill they heat cycled out, and there's still lots of rubber left. I also was able to learn how not to flat spot them. Now the Z211's I never did get figured out. I'd guess they have a stffer side wall and don't need as much camber because I flat spotted three of them, all on the inside. It was also cool out in the 60's and so getting them up to pressure was problematic. As for what I'll go with next, I'd like to get the Z214, they're $7 each more expensive than the RA1 but add in $50 per for shaving and they're more like $40 a tire cheaper. I like the RA1 but don't know about paying the extra for shaving, they've gotten expensive this season.

James

buldogge
07-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Hey James... The main problem with Z214's is SUPPLY...I tried them once and was pretty sure I wanted to run them and there were ZERO in the country...when the supply did come in there were only 50 (!) total at my distributor. Several places have dropped them because you can't sell what you can't stock. It's a real bummer....

With the RA-1's...we run them at 3/32 (sometimes 4/32)...Shaving is only +$15 a tire...I think you're paying too much for shaving at your supplier!

FWIW...

RA-1's are a good tire, they're even and don't fall off drastically. I ran a set of 6/32's RA1's untill they heat cycled out, and there's still lots of rubber left. I also was able to learn how not to flat spot them. Now the Z211's I never did get figured out. I'd guess they have a stffer side wall and don't need as much camber because I flat spotted three of them, all on the inside. It was also cool out in the 60's and so getting them up to pressure was problematic. As for what I'll go with next, I'd like to get the Z214, they're $7 each more expensive than the RA1 but add in $50 per for shaving and they're more like $40 a tire cheaper. I like the RA1 but don't know about paying the extra for shaving, they've gotten expensive this season.

James
[/b]

JamesB
07-31-2007, 09:56 AM
That is a lot per tire for shaving.

I heat cycled my RA1's out, but I keep running them when I go down and instruct. I got a full 9 race season including all but 3 qualifying sessions and two 2 day instruction events out of my hoosiers (gotta keep rotating them.) But I dont think a hoosier is worth the money for a school and DE events.

Z3_GoCar
07-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Sorry for the topic highjack...

My main sources are seirra/frisby tire in Vegas at $205 each for 245/45-16's + $20 each for shaveing for a total $225 each plus shipping (which is not that much from Vegas)

Or AIM tire in Sonoma at $178 each for 245/45-16's +$50 each for shaveing for a total of $228 each plus shipping (which would be more)

The Z-214's are $185 from either place(same size), but I do have a couple of serviceable RA-1's where I haven't any 214's. I'm still not sure if I should bite the bullet and change to the 214 or RA-1.

Maybe I should google search for more distributors, last RA-1 I purchased was $205 shaved, and that was at Buttonwillow, so I expected to pay slightly more for it.

James

77ITA
08-02-2007, 11:25 AM
In my opinion, the Hankook Z214s are incredible for a budget tire. They're no R6, but they are much better than the other budget tires (Avons, toyos, etc.). I just ordered a set of them in 225/45/15 from Appalachian tire yesterday.