PDA

View Full Version : New/Old Fire Systems?

grjones1
07-21-2007, 11:45 AM
OK, just to prove I'm as dense as many think I am: As far as I can see my mounted , hand held 5-lb. Halon extinguisher still meets the rules for on board systems. Am I wrong?

"The following is acceptable for cars registered before 1/1/09:
On-board fire systems shall use Halon 1301 or 1211, with a five pound minimum capacity (by weight). Alternatively, on-board fire systems may use AFFF or equivalent surfactant foam material (i.e. SPA Lite, ZERO 2000, Coldfire 302), 2.25 liter minimum capacity (by volume). All AFFF fire system bottles shall incorporate a functional pressure gauge and shall be marked with the manufacturer’s recommended “filled weight.” CO2 cartridge propellant fire extinguishing systems are permitted provided that the seal of the manufacturer specified CO2 cartridge is not punctured and the fire bottle is equal to the weight specified by the system manufacturer.
Cars shall meet the following regardless of registration date:
1. The fire system cylinder shall be securely mounted in such a manner that it can be checked during a technical inspection
and may be removed for weighing periodically for compliance to full weight shown on the cylinder. (Weight is without valve
assembly.)
2. Manual or automatic release is allowed. The release mechanism shall be within reach of the driver when belted in the car."

grjones1
07-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Is the answer so obvious no one is bothering to answer or does no one know the answer?

lateapex911
07-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Trick question?
Does your unit use the prescribed Halon?
If so, whats the issue? Seems like you're fine.

grjones1
07-22-2007, 06:34 PM
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it appears as if the change is trying to mandate full systems, i.e., tank with remote release and metal tubes (Noozles) aimed in certain areas. But as the rule is written you can accomplish same with a mounted hand-held if it meets the chemical and volume requirements.

I'm checking the specs. Thanks, Jake.

G

JoshS
07-22-2007, 07:28 PM
If the new proposal passes, then on-board systems will be required for cars registered after 1/1/09. Existing cars would be grandfathered in. It's all at the top of the Fastrack section you quoted.

grjones1
07-22-2007, 09:16 PM
I beleive you are correct. The change refers to 9.3.22A and not 9.3.22 which exludes IT anyway. Sorry to take up Forum space.

G