PDA

View Full Version : Lap Timers

Goran
07-20-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm considering buying a lap timer (with beacon) and was curious how others work their beacons/transmitters at the beginning of the race. Obviously you want this as close to the start/finish line as possible, but depending on which brand will determine how many beacons are on pit wall. Do those with different brands interfere with each other? Does anyone ever "forget" and include a second device causing interence? Also, any recommendations on which is the best? I've seen the AiM Mychron Light TG, the XT, and Hot Lap, any others? Seems most are in similar price ranges.

Thanks!
Goran

JoshS
07-20-2007, 05:16 PM
As long as they are all close together, multiple beacons won't screw things up. Most places require that the beacons are in one small area along the wall, and usually, people follow the rules.

The Intercomp has a "blanking interval" feature where it will ignore trips within X seconds of another trip. So I sent it 2 seconds faster than my fastest lap could be, and then if some yahoo places a beacon somewhere else on the track, it doesn't mess me up. Hotlap doesn't offer that feature.

BTW, you mentioned how people handle them at the race, but ... I don't use mine during a race. I don't need to know lap times during a race. I really only care during testing, practice, and qualifying.

Goran
07-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks, Josh for the information. Yes, I meant for only during practice/qualifying.

dickita15
07-20-2007, 06:01 PM
I use during the race as well. counts laps and if I am alone it keeps me focused.

jlucas
07-21-2007, 07:38 AM
XT Racing UltraLap was my favorite beacon type timer (http://www.cc-2000.com/xtracing/en/ultra-lap/index.html). Slower/Faster blinking LED is a nice touch as is the summary screen at the end of the session. You can set a minimum lap time, so any interference will be ignored. I used to sell them but couldn't beat Craig's pricing (http://www.laptimerholders.com/products.asp?cat=16) so I now I just send everyone his way. Tell him I sent you if you end up going that route. The AIM ones are probably second best, not as many features as XT, but maybe a slightly nicer/larger screen.

Keep in mind the cost of a nice beacon lap timer is 1/2 way to a entry level GPS based data logging device that will give you virtual beacons anywhere you want and give you performance information besides just time. For example, the Racelogic PerformanceBox. (I started a GB on those over on EliseTalk)

tnord
07-21-2007, 09:14 AM
XT Racing UltraLap was my favorite beacon type timer (http://www.cc-2000.com/xtracing/en/ultra-lap/index.html). Slower/Faster blinking LED is a nice touch as is the summary screen at the end of the session. You can set a minimum lap time, so any interference will be ignored. I used to sell them but couldn't beat Craig's pricing (http://www.laptimerholders.com/products.asp?cat=16) so I now I just send everyone his way. Tell him I sent you if you end up going that route. The AIM ones are probably second best, not as many features as XT, but maybe a slightly nicer/larger screen.

Keep in mind the cost of a nice beacon lap timer is 1/2 way to a entry level GPS based data logging device that will give you virtual beacons anywhere you want and give you performance information besides just time. For example, the Racelogic PerformanceBox. (I started a GB on those over on EliseTalk)
[/b]

i have an xt that works well. i don't really use any of the features, but it's small and light compared to the hotlap, so it's still better imo.

IPRESS
07-21-2007, 12:31 PM
I have the AIM with the bigger screen which is nice for old eyes. It has just enough features to give me what I want without being too over the top. I usually just walk out to the track edge before grid time and take a look, and there is a beacon already setup. I guess AIM is popular because I have only used MY beacon one race in the past two years.

Mac

bldn10
07-22-2007, 09:09 AM
I have the MyChron and the nice thing about having a popular model is that I rarely have to even put my transmitter out. But, even w/o mine, there were too many at Barber and too far apart. I was getting 1 lap time followed by a 2nd 5 sec. one and had to add them together.

tdw6974
07-22-2007, 10:11 AM
I have the MyChron and the nice thing about having a popular model is that I rarely have to even put my transmitter out. But, even w/o mine, there were too many at Barber and too far apart. I was getting 1 lap time followed by a 2nd 5 sec. one and had to add them together.
[/b]
Bill, You can set a delay in the programing so system will read the first beacon maybe a 45 second delay. Seems to work for us at this point we are still learning the system. T weaver

924Guy
07-23-2007, 08:41 AM
I actually very much like having my lap times displayed during the race - instant feedback on performance of the loose nut behind the steering wheel! Of course, I'm using a data logger, an AIM system... but I do also notice I rarely have to hang my beacon out. Seems that the AIM uses an interchangeable signal with some other brand, I want to say Hot Lap?

mlytle
07-23-2007, 09:01 PM
As long as they are all close together, multiple beacons won't screw things up. Most places require that the beacons are in one small area along the wall, and usually, people follow the rules.

The Intercomp has a "blanking interval" feature where it will ignore trips within X seconds of another trip. So I sent it 2 seconds faster than my fastest lap could be, and then if some yahoo places a beacon somewhere else on the track, it doesn't mess me up. Hotlap doesn't offer that feature.

[/b]
not true actually, hot lap timers do this also. there is a default 5 sec blanking interval. you can't change it, but it prevents a second trip from someone else who has a hot lap xmitter on pit wall.