PDA

View Full Version : NHIS Test Day...

RSTPerformance
07-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Well we finally got an Audi on the track!!! We have been rebuilding the Audi's doing some work and some upgrades to them so that we can stay in front of Dave Grand at Mid Ohio... :unsure:

The test day was from ~8:00am -12:00pm with an open track, thus 4 hours of track time for only $100.00. The only other SCCA car I think was the 86 SM. The test day went well for us, up till the end. but the beginning first...

We ran the red Audi in camouflage with lots of primer and bondo colors. We were able to work out a few kinks that could have sidelined us at Mid Ohio, so it was a success for us. The new clutch is awesome, and all the second half season issues was a seal in the transmission not the rear main seal on the block so those issues are part of our history now, not the future!!! Look out Dave; we are going to give you a fight!!!

Now the safety tip...

After I had had almost but not quite enough I was crouching in the enclosed trailer stepping over some stuff on the floor (about 11:00). I then stood up directly under one of the tire racks (they run along the sides of the trailer). I hit the tire rack at the perfect spot, where one of the mounts are with bolts sticking out, with my head. The bolt went into my head along with the plate and made a decent hole and gash.

Next thing was me crouched on the floor pissed off for doing something stupid (again) as I watching the blood come out like a hose. My brother and our crew quickly got me up with paper towels and pressure to stop the bleeding, but their was already a very very big pool of blood on the floor of the trailer (something from a movie I swear).

It was then time to pull an ambulance off the track to tend to me (thus topping the event, sorry). They checked me out and surprisingly had no real worries, or anything to clean the wound, so my crew decided it was in the best interest for me to go directly to the hospital since the trackside ambulance really didn't offer much advice, or concern (The cut was only 1 1/2 inches long, it was deep and it was wide where the bolt went into my head).

I was then at the friggen ER for over 3 hours getting stitches and having the cut cleaned. I still haven’t checked out of the hospital although I am at work. Concord Hospital was so pathetically slow it was ridiculous and I had lost all patience to wait another 1/2 hour just to check out. I might go later tonight to do that.. lol

So the SAFETY MESSAGE: PADDING!!!! Keep your trailer safe, I am just glad it happened to me instead of one of our crew.

See you all in my mirrors at the IT Festival!!!

Raymond "scar head" Blethen

PS: jake- been to bus to post, but I wanted you to know, I liked your old sig better :)

gran racing
07-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Glad to hear you're o.k. That must have given you guys quite a scare!! I can't even imagine, although I can see myself doing something like that too.

They checked me out and surprisingly had no real worries.[/b]

You know why that is, right? :D Just kidding Ray!!!!!!

I'm also happy to hear you got your car running right. I'm not so pleased to hear you made some additional upgrades. Stop doing that! Last year you went out and got a new suspension so I decided if I want to keep up I better upgrade mine too.

Mid Ohio should be fun.

RSTPerformance
07-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Mid Ohio should be fun.
[/b]

Dave I got some of my tips for the improvements from your book!!! Should I get a copy of your book cover laminated and put on the back of my car so you can look at it when we cross the finish line???

Raymond

gran racing
07-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Ray, I really have no intentions of us both crossing the finish line going backwards, but I guess that could be fun.

RSTPerformance
07-20-2007, 11:11 AM
dam it....

someone help me out with this one!!! lol

StephF
07-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Don't feel too stupid about the tire rack Ray. We used that trailer over the years, and those racks just plain suck. Phil could walk beneath them without an issue. No one else could. I hit my head several times on them.
I would consider replacing those with bars on chains that you can slip the tires on for transit, and then let it lie flat along the wall when you aren't using them.
A side note about Phil: He dumped his Ducati in a big way at a track day at Mosport just about 2 weeks ago now. As I understand, he punctured a lung, cracked a vertabrae, and broke various ribs. I was told he's in a halo, and was in the hospital in Canada for a week. I think he's home now. He might appreciate if you guys dropped him a line to rag on him about it.

RSTPerformance
07-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Steph-

Thanks for the info, I will give him a call :)

We weighed the trailer, w/parts loaded in it... lol its heavy!!!

Raymond