PDA

View Full Version : Ford 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel owners....lookee here !!!

JohnRW
07-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Wow...something getting cheaper !!!

Ever replace a CPS, due to the dreaded CPS "Engine just quits and then happily restarts" problem ? I have...put 3 of them in. Ford wanted ~$190 for the sensor, but you could get the same sensor from an International truck parts counter for about $95. Symptom is so obvious that you didn't even need to put a scan-tool on it...just shotgun the part in and everything gets better. Always carried a spare...kinda like VW's always carry a fuel-pump relay.

Well...life has gotten better yet...they're now available in a "new and improved" version, and you can find them for $15 !!!!

Just in time...the 2003 dually has just started doing the CPS dance on me at 60,000miles. Was at Diesel Stop.com doing a search to find the part #, and WHOA...cool....they're cheaper now. Ordered two...cuz....well....you know why....

http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/partloc...lts&searchAll=1 (http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214083&partnumber1=F7TZ12K073B&Makeid1=10&catalogid=0&searchType=Part%20Number%20Search%20Results&searchAll=1)

You all owe me a beer.

dropkick317
07-19-2007, 10:58 PM
I work in parts for a Ford dealer, and a few weeks ago me and a co-worker noticed a part number change and an availability issue with the cps. When we looked into it we noticed a price reduction also, so the price should come down at the dealer soon. Ford loves to do this, they sell a part for years and get every one to buy one then they decide to change the part# and reduce the price(by a lot). Before the cps they did it with the dpfe for the 3.0l cars and Rangers

seckerich
07-20-2007, 07:26 AM
And if you are a supplier to Ford, etc. you will know it got cheaper because it is now sourced in China. :mad1:

Eagle7
07-20-2007, 11:58 AM
94-96 models is still $83. Any chance the 97-up sensor will work with my 95?

JohnRW
07-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Been a few years since I changed one in a '95-96. I have the new ones in my hand right now, and I'm going to say that they're a little different...same mounting, but maybe the sensor head itself is a little bigger.

andrew240z
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Same part for a 2002 7.3 excursion?

DavidM
08-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Same part for a 2002 7.3 excursion?
[/b]

Should be the same part for all 99-03 7.3L diesel motors. I replaced mine a year or two ago when mine started cutting out on me. Paid $90 from powerstrokeshop. I have the old one in the glove box just in case it dies on me. I may get a spare new one for only $15.

It's a pretty crappy design to have the truck shut down when the cps dies. Nothing like cruising along towing the trailer and then having the motor die. Anything driven off the motor (i.e. power steering) also goes. Some sort of limp mode would have been much better. It makes for a good kill switch, though.

David