PDA

View Full Version : longacre Ignition switch

gc102750
07-16-2007, 02:00 PM
I tried to put a Longacre Ignition switch on my 84 RX7. I hooked the White/Red wire to brown power in wire. I hooked the Black/White to the yellow accessories wire and I hooked the Black/Yellow to the green starter button wire. When I flip the toggle switch I can tell the gauges are getting power. When I press the starter button, it sounds like the fuel pump is kicking on, but it is not spinning the starter. It almost seems like I need to hook both the Black/White and the Black/yellow to the yellow accessories wire, but then I'm not sure what I should hook the green starter button wire to.
Any ideas on what I have hooked up wrong?

Thanks, Gordon

kbailey
07-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Gordon,

I went through this when first building my car (also an 84). I did have to tie a couple of the power wires in to the same feed. Additionally the 84 fuel pump will not run through the stock wires if the engine is not running (or something like that...there is a cutoff relay under the dash for it that is ECM controlled...I am not sure what the condition is for it to pull in, when I found it I bypassed it). The Chilton Manual has fairly decent diagrams, but what is not clear is that a couple of the wires change color at the plug from the ignition switch to the under-dash wiring.

I took the time this year to bypass all of the stock wiring and run fresh stuff. The stock stuff is all still there...just not hooked up. If you still want blinkers, lights etc this would be a lot of work. I just ran ignition, fuel, gauges, brake lights, wipers, defrost and a 12-v accescory plug.

BTW- no matter what you do just run a fresh wire for the starter...it uses a simple 1/4" female blade terminal at the starter motor.

gc102750
07-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks Kevin I will give that a try.

Gordon