PDA

View Full Version : Diff Drain Plug and Filler Plug Info??

tdw6974
07-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Ok Drain plug is Frozen(95 D) stuck any suggestions on removal I know we should not have rounded it off. :018: and what the Hell is the correct size for the drain and filler plugs <_< I ASS U ME they are freakin metric :014: :eclipsee_steering:

ddewhurst
07-10-2007, 01:31 PM
***I know we should not have rounded it off.***

Tom, I like this WE ^ $hit. Did it take two of you or more to turn the wrench at one time ? What you do now that it&#39;s rounded is you take the friken wrench that didn&#39;t do it&#39;s job, ya stick the male wrench into the rounded female orifice, ya weld the friken wrench to the rounded orifice & after you turn the female plug out you throw the plug with welded tool to the wind.

Curious question, when you use a torque wrench to tighten something do you rotate the torque wrench untill it meets the torque & then give the torque wrench just a little more turn ? :018:

Just funnen with ya Tom, WE all do DUMB $hit with zero thought to the consequsences. :o

tdw6974
07-10-2007, 03:06 PM
***I know we should not have rounded it off.***

Tom, I like this WE ^ $hit. Did it take two of you or more to turn the wrench at one time ? What you do now that it&#39;s rounded is you take the friken wrench that didn&#39;t do it&#39;s job, ya stick the male wrench into the rounded female orifice, ya weld the friken wrench to the rounded orifice & after you turn the female plug out you throw the plug with welded tool to the wind.

Curious question, when you use a torque wrench to tighten something do you rotate the torque wrench untill it meets the torque & then give the torque wrench just a little more turn ? :018:

Just funnen with ya Tom, WE all do DUMB $hit with zero thought to the consequsences. :o
[/b]
I think the driver had something to do with installation :D Try and keep him away from car as much as possible. When He is in GRP 1 we have no trouble keeping away from the car :D :eclipsee_steering:

ITA240
07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Tom,
Those stock plugs are pretty soft. Have you tried tapping a slightly smaller socket onto the rounded plug? It might do it.

good luck..

AntonioGG
07-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Here&#39;s what works on a stripped square plug.

One of those cheesy "as seen on TV" Gator lock sockets with all the little pins inside will grab that rounded square plug. I found one at Home Depot, it comes with an equally "cheesy" socket wrench for something like $15. I bought mine at Home Depot out of desperation and lo and behold it worked (that&#39;s why I put the quotes around cheesy, because it worked).

Before that, I tried vice grips, blue tipped wrench, liquid wrench, ice, you name it.

Hopefully you can still find one of those, when I bought it a couple of years ago, it was at the bottom of a shelf gathering dust.

Scott Nutter
07-12-2007, 08:51 PM
When I did that, my beer induced thinking told me to walk to the hardware sore, buy a 5/8 in drill bit and drill it out. Then I took a dremel and cut the sides to get it out. Of course I then realized that I had to at least remove the ring and pinion to get all the shavings out. And of course by the time you do that, you think to yourself jeeze 5 more bolts and you could have removed the axle housing and removed it on the bench ;)

tdw6974
07-26-2007, 04:35 PM
The Saga Closes :026: Got the "Cheesy" wrenches although the large one isn&#39;t light weight by any means but since they push over the (by now) perfectly rounded plug they would not work :( . SOOO borrow a welder and operator welded a unplated bolt on to plug (keeping the housing cool) in less than a minute the plug was out. :happy204: . New plug with antiseize intalled an torque to specs. Headed to the Glen tomorrow for the July Sprints :eclipsee_steering:

seckerich
07-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Buy an 8 point 9/16ths socket and leave it in the toolbox. Never found a fill plug it would round off. Killed them with anything else. :bash_1_: