PDA

View Full Version : airbox mods/ egr removal? '94 Golf

jamscal
07-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Couldn't find anything on an "egr removal" search. I was wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't do it?

Also, what other emissions stuff can I take off with no negative effects?

Finally, what about the airbox on these cars? VWVortex has varying opinions on modding them. I picked up a replacement at the junkyard today for $5, so I'm good to experiment. I was thinking removing the flapper system, blocking off the heat input from the exhaust, adding an aluminum heat shield on the engine side, and MAYBE cutting a hole or series of holes in the lower right front of the box. Good idears? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks,

James

'94 Golf Sport

rabbidmk1
07-11-2007, 10:18 AM
All of those mods plus a K&N are as good as you can do on these cars. If you go to techtonics website they actually show that a modded airbox yields more power then an open element (cone filter) style.

keycom
07-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Anyone ever pull their filter all together?

Eric Parham
07-12-2007, 05:35 PM
All of those mods plus a K&N are as good as you can do on these cars. If you go to techtonics website they actually show that a modded airbox yields more power then an open element (cone filter) style.
[/b]

I saw that chart. Since the gain is proportional across the RPM range, I think it's due to temperature rather than to any differences in restriction. There was probably no heat shielding or CAI done for the cone.

jamscal
07-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Here's what I did:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2677000-2677999/2677007_3_full.jpg

I removed the flapper system, cut open the tubes they controlled, and blocked off the rear 'heated air' inlet. Used a piece of plastic cut from the box to fill the hole, and used JB weld.

I cut a large chunk from the right front of the box, and cut the snorkel down. I plan on removing or modding the plastic fender inlet piece, and also bolting a heat shield to this bottom airbox, on the engine side.

Re: EGR

I fabbed a block off gasket just to see what happened, and everything is fine. I'll make the appropriate block off plates for a full removal when I have the time. For now, I think my stock clutch is on it's last legs.

-James

jamscal
08-08-2007, 10:34 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2677000-2677999/2677007_4_full.jpg

Here's the airbox w/ heatshield installed. Aluminum, tig welded, polished.

Conover
08-08-2007, 10:40 PM
you don't have to loop vacuum line, it doesn't go anywhere if you just leave it unhooked it is fine.

Looks good.

You can remove the egr all together and not get a CEL by removing the ground pin from the ECU connector. The ground for the EGR circuit that is.