PDA

View Full Version : Barber Race

charrbq
07-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Congratulations to the Alabama Region on a most successful event this past weekend. I'm sure that the weather scared several people away, but that's their decision. I would, however, question the sanity of the Weather Steward and see if there couldn't be a replacement made before the next event. :lol:

The Barber staff was friendly and courteous, the parking people were extremely helpful and friendly, everyone should be commended on the work done in some of the most strenuous conditions and situations.

Next year, I'll work on fully functional brakes so that I can run and play with the big boys.

Still had a good time in spite of myself. Thanks for all the hard work, guys. :023:

BlueStreak
07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Glad to hear it went well. Looks like it had a solid IT turnout too.

How did the non IT traffic in the ITB/ITC group drive?

I went west of the weather to MMP for a RallyX, sorry I missed everyone, but I needed to play in the dirt :eclipsee_steering: .

I'll catch up at a later race. :birra:

bhudson
07-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I was the operating steward for the mixed group and, if memory serves me well, everyone played together with no problems even in the rain. It's a great event that deserves an even bigger turnout next year.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region

pballance
07-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I was at 13 during the rain and at 5 for Sunday's race and for the most part everybody played well :D

Now them pesky mee-otters got a little crazy and those SPO guys couldn't shake some of their roots and there was a little "shoving" that took place. Nothing bad per say but not the normal.

I had fun and got to meet several of the ITS guys. Unfortunately I met David Plott in a not so good way Saturday afternoon at 13 :( I hope he can get the car put back together.

I have posted some lousy pictures and videos at
this link http://picasaweb.google.com/ITSa240

Jeff Young had a good day with his Triumph :P

I look forward to being there next year out on track with you.

Paul

240zdave
07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
It was good to finally meet you, Paul, although under different circumstances would have been preferable. I wanted to thank you again for all of the help loading up the car after the race. And thanks to Paul and all of the other corner workers for a very busy job well done.

As far as the car, after I figure out how to get it out of the trailer and back into the workshop, Randy Shedd, another great Z-man I met this weekend, is going to help me determine if it is repairable or not. I have another roller that I bought last year to build a replacement car eventually. I have a sick feeling that eventually may be here sooner than I hoped.

I do have a slight (maybe not so slight) bone to pick with the race officials, though. I think it was a bad decision to leave my car and the RX7 that hit me out there against the tire barrier for the remainder of the race. Fortunately, nothing else happened, but if someone else had slid off there, they would have hit the cars instead of the tire barrier, possibly causing unnecessary injury, not to mention further damage to our vehicles. I believe there were several more cars that went off during Saturday's race. I don't know how many of them were in potentially dangerous spots. I do think that pressure to meet the 5:30 deadline may have trumped safety in this case. If they had thrown a full-course yellow to remove the cars, they probably would have had to call the race after the 3rd lap or else it would have encroached on the next race's start time. Of course, I'm more than a little bummed about the outcome of my first Barber race, and I did not talk to the Stewards about it before I left.

pballance
07-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Dave,
To get your car out of the trailer try some HF wheel dollies. You already have the suspension strapped up and with the wheel dollies and a floor jack you should be able to get it out without too much trouble. You may have to use some 1/8" hardboard to get the wheels over the seam from the door fo the trailer and onto the ramp.

FWIW, I have another tub that I picked up last week that I will look at more closely and see if it is good enough for you to use if yours doesn't work out.

I won't comment about where your car came to rest. I was a "junior" worker and there were senior people at 14 below us as well. Your point is well taken though. I will say this, your car and the Mazda were the only ones to go off there all day Saturday even with all of the rain. I think we only had 1 or two others go 2 wheels off and continue. Thankfully you and the other driver were ok but I admired your restraint while waiting in the flagstand. :birra:

Joe-Racer
07-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Here are a couple more..

http://picasaweb.google.com/bschonk/Barber (http://picasaweb.google.com/bschonk/BarberMotorSportsSCCA2007)

Overall a great event. The rain worked in my favor..for a change.

BlueStreak
07-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I do think that pressure to meet the 5:30 deadline may have trumped safety in this case.
[/b]

Just curious, what is the 5:30 deadline?

seckerich
07-09-2007, 06:08 PM
The track had a mandatory stop time of 5:00pm but allowed the region to run long because of the rain. I had a much bigger problem with race control and the stewards and did speak with them. I am glad everyone that went off was ok. That said it was the most drawn out waste of time I have ever seen at a race. 20 minute qualifiers and a 30 minute race (shortened to 11 on Sat) and we still got hosed in group 6 with the checker after 7 laps. Wasted a full hour and a half with lunch break knowing it was a rain event instead of making up some time. Could not fit 5.8 hours of hot track time into 8 hour day? Even with the lap times of the rain races they were only 22-23 minutes long with advertised 14 lap or 30 minute races--we got screwed--period. Drove too far and spent too much money to run 7 laps. Sunday ran well but don't pat yourselfves on the back for what happened Saturday. The excuse I got was the time needed to clean up the track with all the cars off--valid but should have never gotten to that point. Other races had cars to be hauled in and got all their laps.

wbp
07-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, what's with with letting the workers off the 17 corners come in a dry off a bit before their lunch. After all they were just going to get soaked again in the afternoon. And none of them drove any further to work than you did to race. But some Stewards did.

seckerich
07-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah, what's with with letting the workers off the 17 corners come in a dry off a bit before their lunch. After all they were just going to get soaked again in the afternoon. And none of them drove any further to work than you did to race. But some Stewards did.
[/b]
Cute smarta-- reply. :blink: I know, respect, and have worked with most of those in race control. Has nothing to do with that. Poor time management screwed me out of half a race. The region offers X amount of track time a weekend for X amount of dollars. As the customer I decide if it is worth it. Saturday had just qualifing before lunch and did not start back until just before 1:00. Just 4 hours to run 7 races in the rain. Sunday had lunch at 11:00 and left 5 hours for the same races--get the picture? Poor schedule if all had gone well. Most regions run a practice and a qualifier in the same time frame on tracks with very similar lap times. Trim the qualify time if you need to but leave the races alone. Short of full course caution the race should run the distance after we leave pit road. World class facility and glad I ran there once but will think hard before supporting again.

wbp
07-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Sorry about the smarta-- reply, a bit. I guess standing out all day with rain running down my crack may have influenced my attitude.
But to get real. I wasn't in control and know only what I could see (limited by wet glasses and my position) , hear on the radio and read on Mylaps. It seemed Control pushed staying Green about as far as they could at Barber all day (see post by Zsolt above).
After 7 of the rescheduled 11 laps for Group 6 they apparently decided they could stay green no longer. In that case a decision has to be made whether to let the race go the final 4 laps under FCY or to checker. Cleanup aways takes longer with cars on track, especially a wet track. Wrecker guys watch their rear so much of the time I suppose (they learn that on the highways) and they are limited in their use of the track surface. I hate driving around under FCY as many do. So I agree with the early checker, and you don't, and that's OK. On the other hand, they may have just decided it would be fun to screw Steve so let's do that. (Oops, I did it again).

I was in control for the Friday Practice Day and did notice that one of the Rollback crews was the slowest I can remember watching at a race. They were Really Careful! But we still got five 25 minute practice sessions in for every group, against a promise of four. Except I had to shut down the last group 11 minutes early due to the thunder storm.

Are there opportunities to do better next time at Barber? Oh yes.

240zdave
07-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Dave,
To get your car out of the trailer try some HF wheel dollies. You already have the suspension strapped up and with the wheel dollies and a floor jack you should be able to get it out without too much trouble. You may have to use some 1/8" hardboard to get the wheels over the seam from the door fo the trailer and onto the ramp.

FWIW, I have another tub that I picked up last week that I will look at more closely and see if it is good enough for you to use if yours doesn't work out.

I won't comment about where your car came to rest. I was a "junior" worker and there were senior people at 14 below us as well. Your point is well taken though. I will say this, your car and the Mazda were the only ones to go off there all day Saturday even with all of the rain. I think we only had 1 or two others go 2 wheels off and continue. Thankfully you and the other driver were ok but I admired your restraint while waiting in the flagstand. :birra:
[/b]
Paul,

Good idea. I've got wheel dollies, and I also have an HF transmission jack. I thought of getting the transmission jack under the diff and seeing if that would work. It has 4 casters, but whether it will take the weight is a question. The wheel dollies may be the way to go.

I'll let you know about the tub. I have one I bought last year that I think is pretty good condition. It seemed to be fairly rust free and structurally sound at the time I bought it. We shall see.

seckerich
07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Sorry about the smarta-- reply, a bit. I guess standing out all day with rain running down my crack may have influenced my attitude.
But to get real. I wasn't in control and know only what I could see (limited by wet glasses and my position) , hear on the radio and read on Mylaps. It seemed Control pushed staying Green about as far as they could at Barber all day (see post by Zsolt above).
After 7 of the rescheduled 11 laps for Group 6 they apparently decided they could stay green no longer. In that case a decision has to be made whether to let the race go the final 4 laps under FCY or to checker. Cleanup aways takes longer with cars on track, especially a wet track. Wrecker guys watch their rear so much of the time I suppose (they learn that on the highways) and they are limited in their use of the track surface. I hate driving around under FCY as many do. So I agree with the early checker, and you don't, and that's OK. On the other hand, they may have just decided it would be fun to screw Steve so let's do that. (Oops, I did it again).

I was in control for the Friday Practice Day and did notice that one of the Rollback crews was the slowest I can remember watching at a race. They were Really Careful! But we still got five 25 minute practice sessions in for every group, against a promise of four. Except I had to shut down the last group 11 minutes early due to the thunder storm.

Are there opportunities to do better next time at Barber? Oh yes.
[/b]
Fair enough Bill. Water will do that. :P I appreciate you and all the workers who put on these races. I have worked my fair share this year as well. My problem was not so much the decision to shorten our race further (14 down to 11) but the fact we ended up in the situation that it had to be done. The decision was not done for safety but for lack of time for cleanup. That was from your officials and not my opinion. Qualifing was 20 min (not 25) and ate up more of the day than the races? Group 6 and 7 were 50% of the total entries (and revenue for the region) and deserved better treatment than we got. As I said in my earlier post Sunday went like clockwork and I hope the region learned something for future events.

PS. With Sue as race control she just might have done it to piss me off. B)

apexingsupra
07-10-2007, 10:57 AM
First thanks to everyone that came out to the Barber race. The same people (the stewards) that operate the other races in SEDIV are the same stewards that operated the Barber race. The Ala. region has no control over how many laps a group gets, when the track goes green, etc. etc. So the same very experienced people that run Road Atlanta, Roebling, CMP, or VIR were in Race Control during the race. The region's responsibility is in "production" i.e., making sure there is enough staff (we had 90+), doing all the paddock parking, feeding workers, and doing all the pre-race paperwork. That the region did.

Saturday started less then five minutes after the published time. It rained like hell all day long. I was up in control as Race Admin. for the region (pretty much to make sure the stewards had hot coffee). There were a LOT of cars that went off in the rain. We had both the flatbed and the hook wrecker trucks. But as I saw on several occasions there were more cars disabled then the number of wreckers and so time got burned up taking badly damaged cars to tech and then having to come back out and get yet another car. It was unfortunate but unavoidable. The standard time figured between sessions is 10 minutes which got blown due to conditions. Rain soaked soggy grass hampers vehicle recovery too. The Ala. region has no control over EV services or the wrecker either. I heard one steward say we were the only rain event so far in 07 (don't know how accurate that is for SEDIV). Sunday the track was dry and things were different then. As to going cold we had until 5:15pm per Barber's rules/decision. I think the stewards did the best job that could be done under the conditions and appreciate all the hard work that was done.

Sorry you feel you didn't get your "money's worth".

Barry H.
Ala. Region Admin.

seckerich
07-10-2007, 04:55 PM
First thanks to everyone that came out to the Barber race. The same people (the stewards) that operate the other races in SEDIV are the same stewards that operated the Barber race. The Ala. region has no control over how many laps a group gets, when the track goes green, etc. etc. So the same very experienced people that run Road Atlanta, Roebling, CMP, or VIR were in Race Control during the race. The region's responsibility is in "production" i.e., making sure there is enough staff (we had 90+), doing all the paddock parking, feeding workers, and doing all the pre-race paperwork. That the region did.

Saturday started less then five minutes after the published time. It rained like hell all day long. I was up in control as Race Admin. for the region (pretty much to make sure the stewards had hot coffee). There were a LOT of cars that went off in the rain. We had both the flatbed and the hook wrecker trucks. But as I saw on several occasions there were more cars disabled then the number of wreckers and so time got burned up taking badly damaged cars to tech and then having to come back out and get yet another car. It was unfortunate but unavoidable. The standard time figured between sessions is 10 minutes which got blown due to conditions. Rain soaked soggy grass hampers vehicle recovery too. The Ala. region has no control over EV services or the wrecker either. I heard one steward say we were the only rain event so far in 07 (don't know how accurate that is for SEDIV). Sunday the track was dry and things were different then. As to going cold we had until 5:15pm per Barber's rules/decision. I think the stewards did the best job that could be done under the conditions and appreciate all the hard work that was done.

Sorry you feel you didn't get your "money's worth".

Barry H.
Ala. Region Admin.
[/b]
But after calling group 6 at 7 laps we somehow found time to run group 7 full distance with plenty of cars off. Not a moneys worth deal Barry--just a fairness deal. Rain sucks and we should have all had equal time. No need to carry this further on this forum on my side. I spoke to the stewards about my objections at the race and understand how they got to the point they made the decision they did. Enough said. I will be at the mid-year meeting if you want to discuss it further.

Joe-Racer
07-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Whats the standard on calling it short and notifying those on course? Show the white, then the checker?
Yes, it's nit-picky.. :P I was timing my approach with the proposed laps and came up short - a hundredth short

bhudson
07-10-2007, 05:24 PM
If you mean show a white for last lap, that's not what the white flag is used for in SCCA Club Racing. The white flag has just one meaning - a slow moving racecar or a moving emergency vehicle is on course ahead of you.

The GCR does not require any signal to indicate the last lap.

Once a race has completed half distance, if its found necessary to stop the race, it is considered complete. A more detailed wording is found in the GCR, but I don't have it in front of me to quote the section.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region

JeffYoung
07-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Some regions (CCR for example) will show a placard with a big "1" on it to indicate one to go. Nice touch, appreciated, and would be something for all regions to look at doing.

chuck baader
07-10-2007, 07:26 PM
I was in the shortened group 6 and completely understand why it was shortened. Rain during the group intensified to the point there were large pools of standing water not only on the front straight, but after turn 6 and on the back straight. My car, on full tread Toyos, was hydroplaning in 4 distinct areas of the track...in general, track conditions deteriorated to the point that the race was called, I feel, in the interest of safety. We all got our finishing positions/points, whatever. Bottom line, thats racing. Chuck :D

camop
07-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Boy what a great Track. I had a very good time even with the rainy saturday. I was surprised by the checker on Saturday at lap 7, but I guess there was a little relief mixed in as well. Maybe a lot of relief! I had 4 year old rains and little experience driving in the rain and at this track. Very interesting to break the tires loose on a 3, 4 upshift in my 1.6L miata!

All the workers and stewards were very friendly and deserve a BIG thank you for sticking it out all day saturday and then coming back for more Sunday!

I do hope to race at Barber again - soon. Maybe 3 or 4 (or 40) more weekends and I'll be able to put down some good laps.

Neal Norton

Hotshoe
07-10-2007, 08:50 PM
[attachmentid=1020]
Chuck,

..... Thanks for all the help on Friday. I enjoyed the drive and hope to pay you back someday soon.

..... To bad they stopped us early on Saturday, I was really enjoying the rain and the challenges it creates.... lol

..... Had to hold my breath on Sunday going into the hairpin after the start. I drove off track to avoid an ITS Acura doing a banzai on my left side. Sure was glad I checked my mirror before I turned in. The driver was able to hold it on track but a few turns later his luck ran out. I was a couple car lengths behind him when he forgot that he had cold tires and tried to go full tilt through the chicane on the back straight. That is a hard way to learn a very important lesson. Just glad he is okay, it could have been much worse if he had gotten collected by oncoming cars.

..... Maybe if I can get some real springs on my car with some camber adjustment ( like you have) I can go faster in the dry.

..... Rick Thompson #99 ITR

Ron Earp
07-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi Rick,

I think you can find that video in car from his side here. Jeff sent this to me a couple of days ago so I could experience the race from my chair at home. He looks okay when he gets out of the car. Car is probably not happy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5406328404888873169

Ron

DavidM
07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Overall, I think it was a good weekend. The people were great and parking was easy. Registration could use some work, but that's to be expected when it hasn't been done at the track in a while.

I tend to agree with David Plott that perhaps safety was sacrificed somewhat for the races on Saturday in an effort to try and meet an artificial deadline set by the track. David's car and the RX-7 were left where they were and a CRX was left in the gravel trap in 1. Somebody could have easily gone off and hit one of those cars. A car did go off during the SRF race and hit a parked car. I'm guessing that during different conditions a full-course yellow would have been thrown to collect those cars. Time management on Saturday was somewhat less than spectacular.

Sunday went much better from an organizational perspective. I'll have to say that the "Thanks for coming - get your ass out by 7" announcements were rather annoying. Perhaps somebody should tell the Barber people that we don't have big crews working for us and sometimes it takes us a little longer to get things put away and ready to go. It's not like we want to be there.

Joe, I had fun racing with you (again) on Sunday. Once the NX passed me I tried to keep up with him and you gave me a little push to go faster. I think we would've caught him if it hadn't been for the leaders lapping us. Sunday was fun.

David

Joe-Racer
07-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I agree with Jeff. A placard would have been much appreciated - at the station before T11.

David, it was good running with you as well. I spun on lap two in the carousel and was fighting to get back in. I made up a lot of time and got close to 4th. I caught up to you and the other ITA B13 with Durward about 20yrd up. I couldnt get past you guys and lost Durward. The Rex doesnt have the tq (at least mine doesnt..thanks Paul Yaw). So if you see me coming up and I earn it, show me the point by. I'd greatly appreciate it and will return the favor.

Here are some highlights from Saturday - Group 6.

http://media.putfile.com/Barber-Motorsports-SARRC-July-2007

DavidM
07-12-2007, 12:38 PM
David, it was good running with you as well. I spun on lap two in the carousel and was fighting to get back in. I made up a lot of time and got close to 4th. I caught up to you and the other ITA B13 with Durward about 20yrd up. I couldnt get past you guys and lost Durward. The Rex doesnt have the tq (at least mine doesnt..thanks Paul Yaw). So if you see me coming up and I earn it, show me the point by. I'd greatly appreciate it and will return the favor.
[/b]

Yeah. I was thinking about letting you by, but we were catching the NX and I was racing him for position. I didn't want to lose ground to him. If it was an IT-7 car in front of me I would've let you by no prob. Of course, I wound up getting hosed when I let the leaders by anyways.

David

JeffYoung
07-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Those SR20DETs (the NX and the SE-R) had some stink in a straight line.

Joe-Racer
07-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Here are my lap times from Sunday. I spun in lap two - hence the slight increase in lap times :blink: Then I picked it up. Got behind a Miata on Lap 10. Then came upon David and the NX on lap 11 to 13.
Not that I am asking for a handout - just a point by. It's racing, and I totally understand its every man for himself when we're on the track. But if another driver catches me, and he's not in IT7, then I gladly give him the racing room he needs to get by. Just my two cents.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f105/jippolito001/laps.jpg

RacerBowie
07-13-2007, 07:06 AM
If I am racing for position in the last 2 or three laps of a race and someone from a different class catches us up, I hate to tell you but I am not going to make it easy for you. If you can get me cleanly that is great, but I am working on my position first and foremost.

My race for position in class is more important to me than your attempt to make up some overall spots. Just my opinion in the matter. It doesn't sound like David did anything wrong.

Joe-Racer
07-13-2007, 07:50 AM
I'm not suggesting that he did anything wrong. Nor am I suggesting that his race (I believe he was 12th) was any less important than mine. What I am saying is, if we could have worked together - I would have returned the favor. On the very same lap.

David and I have raced like this before and we both know this isnt a big deal.

Knestis
07-13-2007, 08:51 AM
... Not that I am asking for a handout - just a point by. ...[/b]
Now, having driven some of the slowest cars in any given group over the years (ITC Renault Alliance - not even the rat motor version), I know me some point-by. Since this has become a philosophical discussion, I'm with Bowie: What's described here ain't no "point-by" situation.

Now, "working together" is another issue. If I can latch onto the bumper of the guy in front and make both of us go faster to catch a third car up ahead, by all means I can do it. The trick is having the discipline to pursue that strategy rather than working for the pass myself.

On the OTHER hand, if my definition of "working together" requires the guy in front to compromise his lap time to let me by - so HE can push ME down the straight, or so I can run off after Guy Three - then I'm going to be disappointed more often than not.

Of course, this whole conversation presumes we are talking about cars on the same lap.

K

Gary L
07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
David and I have raced like this before and we both know this isnt a big deal. [/b] Okay. So why even bring it up?

But since you did bring it up, I feel compelled to make a couple of comments, with all due respect of course... I'm just trying to understand why you're discussing this publicly, or at all, for that matter.

- First, the position in which you found yourself during the last few laps of the race would be the result of what? I believe that would be the spin on lap 2, which was apparently of your own doing, correct?

- Be that as it may, for reference, your best lap was a 1:54.05 on lap 9. So, let's do some math... let's say you blow by the Miata on lap 10, David and the other ITA car both inexplicably wave you by, and you miraculously run 1:53.0's on the last 4 laps. This still puts you 5th in class, and 27th overall instead of 29th.

Hmmm?

Joe-Racer
07-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I only brought it up because by Lap 11, Durward (4th - IT7) was 20yrs ahead of the B13 and David. There was a valid shot at 4th - and maybe 3rd. Who knows. I'm not concerned with overall rankings. Who is in IT7?

Just be to clear, I'm not critizing anyone's driving. Only putting in my two cents.

JeffYoung
07-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Hmmmm..probably best to take this one off a public board.

Both of you guys are good guys, good drivers, and on your way up in the IT world. Discuss it privately if you can; airing it out here can cause more problems than it solves.

See you guys at teh track; Joe I still need to introduce myself and apologize for the near miss at CMP. David, missed saying hello to you as well at Barber. Also need to figure out how you convince your wife to go to every race...that's a nice feature....lol.....

DavidM
07-13-2007, 01:49 PM
See you guys at teh track; Joe I still need to introduce myself and apologize for the near miss at CMP. David, missed saying hello to you as well at Barber. Also need to figure out how you convince your wife to go to every race...that's a nice feature....lol.....
[/b]

She actually likes to go. I think she likes being crew chief. She's the only person I have at a lot of the races and she does everything she can to help. I got her started watching racing many years ago and for whatever reason she likes it. :)

David

chuck baader
07-13-2007, 02:51 PM
David, wow!!! How much would it cost to have your wife talk to my wife? Chuck (That is, of course, if I can drag my wife to the track kicking and screaming all the way)

seckerich
07-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Be careful what you wish for!! 48 foot trailer--2 cars--lots more tires. :D Actually she is the perfect crew chief and she drives a few races a year too.

JeffYoung
07-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I've brought women "to the track" exactly three times. Twice was at Savannah, and they demanded a room at that Westin resort across the river from the city. Cheap! Yeah baby. Once was at VIR, and the talk on the way back was about how it would be nice to have a beach house instead of spending money and time at the track......

Needless to say, I'm still single. The concept of the wife who likes racing, or (gasp!) races, is rather furrin' to me.

dj10
07-13-2007, 04:01 PM
She actually likes to go. I think she likes being crew chief. She's the only person I have at a lot of the races and she does everything she can to help. I got her started watching racing many years ago and for whatever reason she likes it. :)

David [/b]

Ditto here Dave, she started to watch me race GP Bike about 33 years ago. She was at the my very 1st bike race which was a 4 hr race and that Eric Buell (you may recognize the last name) crashed my Honda 750 @ Nelson Ledges. She tries to make as many races as she can now and she helps a lot including changing tires even to this day. We were married 30 years this May......I guess I'll keep her. ;)

its66
07-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Be careful what you wish for!! 48 foot trailer--2 cars--lots more tires. :D Actually she is the perfect crew chief and she drives a few races a year too.
[/b]

..I hear its especially bad if your wife is faster than you, right Steve? :P

seckerich
07-13-2007, 05:11 PM
..I hear its especially bad if your wife is faster than you, right Steve? :P
[/b]
Just have to know which plug wire to pull. ;)

DavidM
07-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Needless to say, I'm still single. The concept of the wife who likes racing, or (gasp!) races, is rather furrin' to me.
[/b]

I got a TraqMate as an anniversary gift this year. Now that's a crew chief! :OLA:

I guess I did something right along the way to have such a wife.

David

Hotshoe
07-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Steve Eckerich,

.... I have been trying to figure out a nice way to say this, and since you were a witness, you know what I'm talking about.

..... To start this story I want to go back to the Charlotte race last year. I was running in ITA. I had one ITS car in front of me and one (a Sliver #57 Z Car) behind me. So, since I couldn't improve my position, I moved over and let the ITS car past.

..... Now, back to last weekend at Barber. I goofed during qualifying and ended up 8th overall. So I'm hoping to get close to the front during the race (Yoda and I have this thing about who finishes in front of who) . So, during the first few laps I try to work my way past you and the Blue Z car without messing up your race. But, and there is always a butt, when I catch the Silver #57 Z car he decides he wants to keep me between him and his fellow Class Mates. After blocking me for a lap and a half and slowing us down to where the two of you were right behind me, I decided just to pull over and let you and the other Z car have another crack at him in turn five.

.... I guess you could say, that pulled my chain pretty good. I don't race that way, especially when the other car is faster and NOT IN MY CLASS. So, Next time, Should I Give Him a Brake?...... Not

.... Rick Thompson #99 ITR

ewaugh
07-13-2007, 07:30 PM
I didn't realize quite how little you could see from station 9, it really would suck if you hadn't ever ran the track before.

Thanks for coming to the races and supporting us, racers! (I plan to be there in a year or two taking a flag instead of waving them.)

JeffYoung
07-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Rick, I am sure that is a misunderstanding on your part and Steve Parrish's (driver of the 57). Steve's one of the best guys around, and one of the most courteous on track. Shoot him a PM and discuss it -- I am sure you guys can work that out.

seckerich
07-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Steve Eckerich,

.... I have been trying to figure out a nice way to say this, and since you were a witness, you know what I'm talking about.

..... To start this story I want to go back to the Charlotte race last year. I was running in ITA. I had one ITS car in front of me and one (a Sliver #57 Z Car) behind me. So, since I couldn't improve my position, I moved over and let the ITS car past.

..... Now, back to last weekend at Barber. I goofed during qualifying and ended up 8th overall. So I'm hoping to get close to the front during the race (Yoda and I have this thing about who finishes in front of who) . So, during the first few laps I try to work my way past you and the Blue Z car without messing up your race. But, and there is always a butt, when I catch the Silver #57 Z car he decides he wants to keep me between him and his fellow Class Mates. After blocking me for a lap and a half and slowing us down to where the two of you were right behind me, I decided just to pull over and let you and the other Z car have another crack at him in turn five.

.... I guess you could say, that pulled my chain pretty good. I don't race that way, especially when the other car is faster and NOT IN MY CLASS. So, Next time, Should I Give Him a Brake?...... Not

.... Rick Thompson #99 ITR
[/b]

I really did appreciate the drop back when you moved over to let us race. I will remember. Those Z cars were killing me off the corners. Did not realize how bad a decision my rear gear was until the race. I had nothing for them. David Kim and I had a blast trading positions and I am sure Steve Parrish did not want us on his bumper again. You did make a good buffer. :D Steve has not had the best year and he had a great race going Sunday so you might give him a break--he races clean and I'm sure he did not mean to hold you up. Heat of the battle thing. He will most likely make it up to you in the future.

Hotshoe
07-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Rick, I am sure that is a misunderstanding [/b]

Jeff,

.... Wish I could agree. After the race I found Steve and asked him why and he admitted to it. That is what bothered me the most. I know that it is out of character for him, and considering I do my best to stay out of ITS races when I run ITA I guess I may have expected to much of him to return the favor.

.... Lesson Learned

Gary L
07-14-2007, 09:23 AM
...and considering I do my best to stay out of ITS races when I run ITA I guess I may have expected to much of him to return the favor.[/b] Maybe Mr. Parrish was bright enough at the time to realize there was no stinkin' ITR race. You were the only ITR car out there, so if I were in his position, I would probably have done the same. You were after all, the very definition of a perfect pick.

And BTW, let's not forget who put you in that position in the first place. I seem to remember a comment about blowing the qual effort?

seckerich
07-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Maybe Mr. Parrish was bright enough at the time to realize there was no stinkin' ITR race. You were the only ITR car out there, so if I were in his position, I would probably have done the same. You were after all, the very definition of a perfect pick.

And BTW, let's not forget who put you in that position in the first place. I seem to remember a comment about blowing the qual effort?
[/b]
Every time you post Gary you are just a ray of sunshine. :blink: I guess your fellow racers in Oklahoma just love your attitude. We race hard but we race clean. A good driver will let a faster car in ANOTHER class through if possible without screwing up his own race. Most of us have raced together for almost 10 years and have respect for each other. No dish on Steve P, I don't blame him for the pick either, but he should let Ricky go. Steve is probably off on the other side of the world but he will weigh in when he gets to a computer. Good to know that if I see a big blue volvo it will only stop blocking if I made no mistakes in his eyes. :023:

chuck baader
07-14-2007, 11:58 AM
I think most of us think like Rickey-Bobby...we will yield to faster out of class traffic. I have been held up also, at the Jim Stark, by an ITS car blatantly blocking and not allowing me to get to the first place car.(And I'll never know if I could have passed him) This "gentleman" was much younger and even though I was 2 seconds a lap faster, he would not let me by. When I talked with him after the race, his excuse was that he was racing for position. Not only did he not do the right thing, he was unaware that he was between two ITA cars and running seventh in his class. IMHO, no class whatsoever. Chuck

Gary L
07-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Good to know that if I see a big blue volvo it will only stop blocking if I made no mistakes in his eyes. :023: [/b] For the record, I do not intentionally block faster cars, out of class or otherwise.

Now... I'm sorry if my attitude seems in need of adjustment, but I simply have no tolerance for drivers that must publicly find someone else to blame, when something on-track doesn't go exactly as they think it should have. Plus, I'm a really old fart, and the older I get, the less tolerance I have for just about everything. :D

chuck baader
07-14-2007, 01:51 PM
As one old fart to another (racing on Social Security) you are certainly in the minority here. Most of us in Southeast division have been taught to expect better. Chuck

Hotshoe
07-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Most of us in Southeast division have been taught to expect better. Chuck
[/b]

Chuck and Steve E. ,

..... Thanks for understanding what I meant by what I said. I don't have any bad thoughts toward Steve P. for what he did. I just would like for him to give the same consideration to faster cars (out of class) as he expects himself. He is a good clean driver and I have always enjoyed racing with him.

...... Now with the addition of ITR, some of the ITS drivers will have some unfamiliar situations to deal with........

Parrish57
07-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Geez.... I leave the country for a couple of days and return to find out I'm now one of the hinchmen from an episode of Speed Racer!!!

Ricky... I had no idea you were upset about the race. I'm sorry I didn't pick up on that. I would have discussed it at the track. But as for my actions, I stand by what I did on the track. I understand Jeff's concerns about airing this out on the forum but this is not an argument. This is two good friends who have always raced well together expressing differing points of view.

I don't believe there is any blanket policy that can govern every situation on the track when it comes to "To point by, or not to point by". Every ontrack pass has it's own set of circumstances. For me, it's all about Right Place, Right Time. For instance, at one of the recent races at CMP during the last few laps of the race I was pretty much by myself and was just on cruise control saving the car. I saw in my mirror that Ricky was on the back bumper of another car for position. I moved offline, got out of the gas, and pointed him by. If memory serves me right you went on to chase the other guy down for the win :smilie_pokal: After the race you made it a point to find me and thank me. I remember well your words "I owe you one. I won't forget it". As far as I was concerned you didn't need to thank me, it was the right thing to do. Right Place. Right Time.

As for Barber, different day, different set of circumstances. I didn't see it as "blocking you for a lap and a half", but I fully admit closing the door on you between turns one and two and taking the fast line around that VERY long carousel. If I had moved over and gone around the outside not only would I have let you by but the two S cars on your bumper could have freight trained me as well. Since there were no R cars in front of me I didn't think it was too much to ask to be able to race with the other S cars. Wrong place and time for a point by. After the guys behind you started racing each other hard we started to pull out on them. I then moved over and pointed you by. I finished about 7 car lengths behind you and after the race I pulled up beside you and gave you a big thumbs up and you did the same. Like I said, I had no idea you were upset. Let's sit down at the next race, open a frosty beverage, and laugh about it!!

Steve (evil hinchman) Parrish

charrbq
07-15-2007, 11:21 AM
WOW!!! This thread sure changed direction from the way I started it! I wanted to thank Alabama region for sticking their necks out and putting on a race in a place that we all feared would never happen again. Thank them for a job well done and hope they do it again. Now it's starting to look like an episode from "The Three Stooges".

seckerich
07-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey Chris, don't take us too serious. We just live so far apart and never see each other except at the races that we treat this like the front porch. We come here to whine, complain, and tell lies about how fast we would be if XYZ had not been wrong. All in good fun. Everyone loads up (especially at Barber) and hits the door and we don't get any time to bench race after it is over. What fun is it if you never stirr the pot a little. :026: Got to go paint the Spec Miata to move to the "dark side"

charrbq
07-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Understood...I hear that membership on that site requires you to bring gasoline for the fire, salt for the wounds, and acid for the tongue. I suppose that's another reason why SRF's and SM's should have their own race groups...at another track...at another time.... :D

JeffYoung
07-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Steve's wrong. I hate all these guys I race with. Plus, I would have won that damn Barber race except the 12 cars in front of me outbraked me, went through the corners faster and took my milk money down the straights.

Must be cheating the bastards.

Hotshoe
07-15-2007, 03:00 PM
This is two good friends who have always raced well together expressing differing points of view.

Let's sit down at the next race, open a frosty beverage, and laugh about it!!

Steve (evil hinchman) Parrish
[/b]

Steve,

... I will gladly take you up on the frosty beverage. And if this is the "Three Stooges" I want to be Curly ....LOL

... I guess I got my panties in a wad when you snubbed me in turn one / about the same time the chain broke I was using to pull Jeff.

... Ditto on the "two good friends" and will continue to always be.........

... Rick Thompson

JeffYoung
07-15-2007, 03:04 PM
It was a British chain..they all break.

seckerich
07-15-2007, 03:42 PM
So when are you guys going to find a better rain setup than jack stands???? :OLA:

JeffYoung
07-15-2007, 04:02 PM
The car wasn't on jack stands! It was sitting in the paddock on all four wheels in the rain just like it should be!

To race that 85 inch wheelbase, 195 wheel torque beeyatch in the rain, I'd need:

1. windshield wipers that work;

2. defrost that works;

3. rain tires;

4. a driver with balls.

Missing all four.

I ran two laps in qual in the rain. MORE than enough for me.

Parrish57
07-15-2007, 04:03 PM
So when are you guys going to find a better rain setup than jack stands???? :OLA:
[/b]

If I could put Rick's rain setup under my car in place of the jack stands I would. He was steamin' fast in the rain. Until then I'll leave my car on the jacks with the Barber approved plywood under them until it's dry!!!

Hotshoe
07-15-2007, 05:16 PM
If I could put Rick's rain setup under my car in place of the jack stands I would. He was steamin' fast in the rain.
[/b]

Steve,

... I am running the suspension that is legal for T2 and it was just right for the rain. Throw into the mix a brand new set of Hoosier rain tires and unhook the front sway bar and WOW. That BMW Z3 was hooked up. Yoda even made me laugh when he said "I gave up when I saw you using the concrete curbs".

... To bad it only lasted seven laps .............

ewaugh
07-15-2007, 10:04 PM
We had radio silence for the pace and first lap. The radio never stopped from the time Sue asked for calls until about tem to fifteen minutes after all you guys were in the pits. I had a four off and continued call that I never did get in...

Man I wish I was out there with you.

Parrish57
07-16-2007, 04:36 PM
What fun is it if you never stirr the pot a little. :026:
[/b]

Attention SEDIV racers: I'm preparing a run of about 100 "I beat Steve Eckerich" T shirts. They will be black with purple and white lettering. Anyone who wants one (except Jeff Young, I hate his guts) should send a sase and a check for $57 to me. ( Beating Steve E. is not cheap!). Sorry Steve but when you make it to the top there is only one way to go! ( p.s. Do you think you can install a Motec in my car?)

Stevel

JeffYoung
07-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Steve E. did the Motec on my brakes! Beaucoups horseypowers.

One day, I will own an "I beat the Steves" t-shirt.

seckerich
07-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Attention SEDIV racers: I'm preparing a run of about 100 "I beat Steve Eckerich" T shirts. They will be black with purple and white lettering. Anyone who wants one (except Jeff Young, I hate his guts) should send a sase and a check for $57 to me. ( Beating Steve E. is not cheap!). Sorry Steve but when you make it to the top there is only one way to go! ( p.s. Do you think you can install a Motec in my car?)

Stevel
[/b]
Vicki had to call me at work to look at this post. After she got off the floor from laughing she said to order her 2. I think we could do better with a Lucas system in your car. :lol:

NutDriverRighty
07-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I was thinking something more along the lines of "I p!$$ed-off Steve Eckerich!!". After the Barber race, we should be able to get a volume discount on them! (just kidding, Steve)

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org

pballance
07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
You know, I know only have met a few of you and have personally watched you race only once but I feel like I know you guys. I can't wait to get out and race with you.

Mr. Parrish, I about fell out of the chair laughing so hard about the t-shirts. Sorry I didn't get to shake your hand since you were gone when I talked with Jeff.

I ran two laps in qual in the rain. MORE than enough for me.
[/b]

I wondered what happend to you on Saturday. I figured you for an easy race winner, I mean that British car is ready made for the rain. It feels like HOME to the car. The Lucas electrics will work better with the reduced resistance, the brakes will work better since they will be properly cooled by the water on the track, and the driver will not be inundated by the burning oil fumes since the windows will be down and everyone knows what happens to oil smoke in the rain. :D :026: :026: :026:

It was good to meet you guys and I look forward to seeing you all again. (see, even newcomer can stir the pot a little :birra: and put me down for one of the t-shirts)

Parrish57
07-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Boy... If the orders keep rolling in I might just have to remove tounge from cheek and actually go into the Tshirt printing business!

You know, the Japanese stole a lot of British design when the made the Z, SU carbs, Styling ques, Etc.. But the one thing they didn't touch with a 39 and a half foot pole was the Lucas electronics.

Paul... I wish I'd had a chance to shake your hand as well. I can't wait to see that beautiful Z join the heated vortex of side by side racing. Maybe the Bama region will invite us back to Barber next year! (I FINALLY made it back on topic!).

JeffYoung
07-18-2007, 11:14 AM
While it was Steve's inspiration, I had to have my own t-shirt crafted. If you guys want one, I now have a stash of "I moved over for Ricky Thompson" shirts in a beautiful silver and orange color scheme.

charrbq
07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Jeff, I meant to get down and chit-chat with you at Barber. You were just a few cars down from me, but the few times I walked by, you had a confused look on your face and were staring at your car in disbelief. I was by myself, so I was busier than the little boy looking for his gum on the hen house floor. I don't think I've ever changed tires and suspension set ups so many times as that weekend.

If you make it to the ARRC, give us a hollar. We'll be on the skid pad cooking Jambalaya on Thursday night and Gumbo on Friday. Come early as we tend to feed a bunch of people...particularly when the Appalachian tire bunch comes down!

JeffYoung
07-18-2007, 12:46 PM
chris, I will do that......

If it was SAturday, I was just puzzled by the weather and whether I should risk running in it. The car ran fine this weekend actually, didn't have to do anything but put gas in it.

I am going to the ARRC if I don't do the VIR 13 hr, and will take you up on the Jambalaya offer..thanks on that man.

charrbq
07-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I warn you, the bench racing usually gets hotter than the Tabasco. Many brain cells tend to be destroyed during the event, too.

DavidM
07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Jeff, I meant to get down and chit-chat with you at Barber. You were just a few cars down from me, but the few times I walked by, you had a confused look on your face and were staring at your car in disbelief. I was by myself, so I was busier than the little boy looking for his gum on the hen house floor. I don't think I've ever changed tires and suspension set ups so many times as that weekend.

If you make it to the ARRC, give us a hollar. We'll be on the skid pad cooking Jambalaya on Thursday night and Gumbo on Friday. Come early as we tend to feed a bunch of people...particularly when the Appalachian tire bunch comes down!
[/b]

Does that mean the chef is allowed back this year after his motorcycle "incident" last year? Tasty food indeed..

David

chuck baader
07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
I really think the "T" shirts should read..."I moved over for Rickey-Bobby in Alabama". :OLA: Should sell hundreds :023: Chuck (then again, we all did on Saturday :smilie_pokal: )

JeffYoung
07-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Rickey Bobby, I must kiss you! (not you Rick!).

Rick hauled butt on Saturday. Like Mike VS said, when I saw him hopping the curbs in the kink on the backstraight I knew no one would catch him. Amazing drive.

jrvisual
07-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Chris,

I just notice your from BR. Did you ever make it out to Baton Rouge Raceway to watch the dirt stockers race on a Friday night.

I grew up in LaPlace and then went to LSU. Tried to make it out to BRR as often as possible. Almost scared my now wife away, it was a little to redneck for her (OK a lot to redneck for her). I had a blast eating dirt the drinking stands. :birra:

Jeff Roussel

charrbq
07-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Does that mean the chef is allowed back this year after his motorcycle "incident" last year? Tasty food indeed..

David
[/b]
When questioned about it, the Chef promised he was going to be there whether his wife allowed him or not (sudden growth of a set), but he was self banned from the operation of any wheeled vehicle and not allowed to travel to turn 5 unescorted by an adult...or child. :lol:

Chris,

I just notice your from BR. Did you ever make it out to Baton Rouge Raceway to watch the dirt stockers race on a Friday night.

I grew up in LaPlace and then went to LSU. Tried to make it out to BRR as often as possible. Almost scared my now wife away, it was a little to redneck for her (OK a lot to redneck for her). I had a blast eating dirt the drinking stands. :birra:

Jeff Roussel
[/b]
Haven't been out there in quite a while. Used to do tire business with all the gravel haulin' rednecks out there, but changed jobs several years ago. It was a helluva lot of fun, but you sure did get dirty! Learned never to sit down low in the stands near turn one, and to always put my palm over my beer during a race! The few times I was sober at the end of a race, there were usually some good fights in the pits to watch. Last one I saw involved several crazy crew guys and a 24" monkey wrench. No one was seriously hurt, but the possee was called. Apparently, this was the training ground for new IRL competitors. ;)

jrvisual
07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
[/b]

Jeff, With Jambalaya and Gumbo available, you will definitely have crew for ARRC. I'll wrench on your car as long as it takes to get some good Jambalaya and Gumbo. God, I miss good food!