PDA

View Full Version : ISAAC Install

spnkzss
07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Alright, I followed the instructions and marked my helmet for my ISAAC install. They seem to be a little far back on the helmet. Anyone willing to post some pics before I start sanding and mix the glue?

gsbaker
07-03-2007, 05:48 AM
This is very good:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Users/VaughanScott.jpg

Sometimes the rivet for the chin strap forces a position more to the rear, but that's not critical--even at 70Gs on the test sled.

planet6racing
07-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Good thing I'm getting a new helmet, then! Mine were farther rearward than that...

spnkzss
07-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Good thing I'm getting a new helmet, then! Mine were farther rearward than that...
[/b]

Mine too. It appears that mine is located just behind his sticker. I'm going to go back to the car today and remeasure. We'll see.

Thanks.

Wreckerboy
07-03-2007, 10:00 AM
With regards to the picture above - the ISAAC mounting may be good (thanks for posting it Gregg) but is the routing of his shoulder straps okay?

Specifically, it appears that the holes in the seat are much lower than the driver's shoulder line, and that the belts go from the harness mount down through the seat and back up to the driver. It is my understanding that as straight a line as possible was more desirable between the harness mounting point and the shoulders.

Is this true, is it even relevant, or is it just an optical illusion?

Safety nerds need to know!

gsbaker
07-03-2007, 10:20 AM
The driver is pulling himself up with his left hand. That's why the belt looks odd and the damper is extended.

924Guy
07-03-2007, 12:44 PM
<groan> This comes up every time that pic is used. Gonna have to get a new one!!

Actually the observation is correct. It was something I never noticed myself until we posted that pic on this forum two years ago and it was pointed out. We have since re-routed the belts through a new hole higher up in the seat. The belt bar on the cage is level with my shoulders, it was only the seat that caused the belts to deviate from a straight line.

This is exaggerated by the fact that the shoulder belts are loose, and so the weight of the dampers further pushes the belts down.

The actual guideline is not merely to have a straight line between belts and shoulders, but more importantly to have the belts be close to horizontal when going forward from the cage to the driver&#39;s shoulders.

Thanks for worrying about me! :birra:

gsbaker
07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
...Thanks for worrying about me! :birra:
[/b]
We&#39;re always worrying about you, Vaughan. ;)

Now, what did I do with that reference...

gsbaker
07-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Aha, found it: Head mass properties from 1979 German paper via the DTIC. (http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?&verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA080333)

Long story short, the theoretically optimum location places the center line of the damper pointed toward the CG of your head, to avoid rotating the head forward or backward. Where&#39;s the CG? About 1" above and 1/2" forward of your ears. (The "Frankfort plane" referenced runs between the bottom of your eye socket and your ear canal.)

To tune this further, you would want to locate the mounts slightly forward of the CG to offset a naturally occurring backward bending, but that&#39;s a bit over the top.

Does any of this really matter? Nah. We initially tested with the mounts about 2" too far to the rear, not appreciating the bending moment issue. We decided to keep that location in subsequent testing because a change would introduce another variable. Even the 70G hits at Delphi still passed with this location. So, you have to be way off and hit something extremely hard before this becomes an issue, and that&#39;s with the dummy anatomy, which puts the dampers nearly vertical.

Bottom line is that if you can point the dampers toward your ears, perfect. If you can&#39;t, get as close as possible and don&#39;t worry about it.

Doc Bro
07-03-2007, 03:38 PM
(The "Frankfort plane" referenced runs between the bottom of your eye socket and your ear canal.)

[/b]

To elaborate Greg,

The Frankfort plane is an imaginary line that runs from the alar of the nose to the tragus of the ear. It&#39;s slightly lower than the eye socket, as the anterior most landmark, would place it.

R

gsbaker
07-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Well gee, thanks Rob. Make me look like a piker, why doncha? ;):D

keycom
07-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Without an ISAAC, your "alar of the nose" might become "the tragus of the ear"! :018:

Doc Bro
07-03-2007, 04:37 PM
To the contrary Greg. I as you know, use the ISAAC. I want to make sure that any information put out there from ISAAC is as accurate as possible as I believe it has no competitionand will save lives. I remember someone blowing up the ISAAC on this BB in the past. Just wanted to make sure there was no sticking points. Unified front.

Very good DAve!!

R

gsbaker
07-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Rob,

I know, I was just funnin&#39; ya.

And we are fortunate to have so many contributors to the effort.

lateapex911
07-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Knowing Dr. Bro, and knowing he chose the Isaac, makes me feel even better about my choice. I&#39;m even happier that I don&#39;t have to transfer the Frankfurt plane thru my helmet to get the only acceptable mounting spot....

Happy 4th of july racing to those who will turn a wheel in anger, and don&#39;t forget your head restraints...

Wreckerboy
07-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Learn something new every day. And all this time I thought that the "Frankfort Line" was the result of an 1857 treaty that separated the Isles of Langerhans from the Medulla Oblongata and created a lasting peace between the two warring nations.