PDA

View Full Version : Halon... Heavier than Air?

toddgreene
07-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Does Halon rise or fall?

I am putting two 5lb Firebottle systems in my car.
One for the engine compartment and fuel tank area.
The other for the cockpit of the car.

Where are good locations for the interior nozzles?
How far from the driver should they be placed?

The car is a CRX. I think 5lbs will fill up the interior pretty quickly.

Thanks,

Todd

Knestis
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Halons are heavier than air. There was a great story from the Long Beach GP back in the late '70s, when a marshal use a halon bottle to put out a fire in a trash barrel near the track. The stream of agent flowed out the bottom and out onto the track, got sucked up by a Lotus and shut off the fire long enough to make it go kerblooie.

Now, is it true? Hard to say but it was relayed by a guy who knows halon and was pretty well connected with F1 crew dogs at the time.

The question you need to address is whether you have Halon 1301 or 1211. The former goes to gas more quickly, so fills up a closed space better. The latter sprays in liquid form when it comes out of the nozzle, so you can aim it at point sources of fire (e.g., carb or fuel cell).

K

NutDriverRighty
07-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Just a note of interest. If you're in the car, or even near the car when you plan to activate the system, be sure to get a good, deep breath beforehand. Halon goes to the bottom of your lungs and "puddles", making it difficult to clear from your system if you get a snoot full. Just something to think about.

Scott

toddgreene
07-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Just a note of interest. If you're in the car, or even near the car when you plan to activate the system, be sure to get a good, deep breath beforehand. Halon goes to the bottom of your lungs and "puddles", making it difficult to clear from your system if you get a snoot full. Just something to think about.

Scott
[/b]

If I'm on fire I don't see me thinking that clearly :o

NutDriverRighty
07-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Caught my SPU on fire at Rockingham in March. Forgot to do one other thing aside from the deep breath. I forgot to pull the $@#*&!! transport pin out of the bottle before the race!! When I yanked the toggle, it spun the bottle 180* in the mount, broke off the tubing, and [b][i][u]NEVER FIRED!! :blink: I did, however, remember to take a deep breath before I pulled the handle. :happy204: