PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into a Spec Neon

msweeney
06-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey all, first post here.
I'm looking to get some cheap, fun, front-drive experience (have raced a wide variety of rear drivers) and have been quite taken by the idea of a Spec Neon. First off, I need to locate a car. I'm looking in the usual craigslist/ebay spots, but fear I may be missing some Neon Depot that you guys all know about. Second, it looks like the California SN scene is pretty thin and I wanted to know if these cars are competitive enough to at least have fun racing in other classes? How much fun would a SN be compared to full-kit racecars, and is it worth it to build or buy one?
Thanks a lot, and I hope to race with at least some of you soon...

Mike Sweeney

Rabbit07
07-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Yes to the question of are the cars competitive enough to have fun in other classes such as ITA. I would check out SpecNeon.com for the NASA forums for Spec Neons. You would be better off finding an old ACR SSC or SSB car to get started.

Happy Racing

msweeney
07-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the reply, it's a relief to hear that being the only Neon doesn't necessarily mean I'd be off the back of the pack. I realize finding a complete car is always cheaper and easier, but with the reasonable build costs of this class, converting a street car may be doable. I may end up going this route simply because I don't see many prepared cars for sale (particularly in the thick of the season), and none that I have seen have been within 2000 mi. of home. Either way, it'll be fun racing a touring car for the first time!

Thanks,
Mike Sweeney

DoubleXL240Z
07-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Check the central Florida regions newsletter "the Checker" there was a 95 ACR in there prepped and supported by BSI that was for sale for 5500 if I remember correctly. National and regional winner, I cannot confirm any info on its history.

gran racing
07-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Mike, you'll probably find that the best way to find a nice car is to attend races and ask around. Many of the cars for sale are not advertised. Heck, my friend and I have a Neon for sale (kinda - not advertised anywhere and we're not exactly that anxious to sell it). Many others have cars for sale and are using word-of-mouth. (I'm on the east coast, so I'm not trying to sell you a car. :) )

After driving the Neon, my review of the car was much better than I anticipated. The highlight was the brakes - very nice.

Rabbit07
07-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Mike, you'll probably find that the best way to find a nice car is to attend races and ask around. Many of the cars for sale are not advertised. Heck, my friend and I have a Neon for sale (kinda - not advertised anywhere and we're not exactly that anxious to sell it). Many others have cars for sale and are using word-of-mouth. (I'm on the east coast, so I'm not trying to sell you a car. :) )

After driving the Neon, my review of the car was much better than I anticipated. The highlight was the brakes - very nice.
[/b]

I find it interesting that you like the brakes so much. I have found them to be average. The rotor size is quite good front and rear for the weight of the car, but being nose heavy lends itself to rear wheel lock up. I would say they are better than some cars I have driven, but they are not like those of a Miata or RX-7. Besides the fact that the brake pads get bent when pushed hard for a long time.

What I really like about the car is the torque! :D

msweeney
07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Unfortunaely, with my other racing committments it can be a bit tough to find a free weekend to go to a race, but I'm going o try to make the next SoCal round for at least one day. One thing I heard on the Specneon forum is that the future of the class may be in doubt for next year, which is a touch troubling. Does anyone have any info on that front? It sounds like the car may be a safe enough bet to be competitive even if there isn't a spec series, but it would be nice to know before buying or building a SN car if the class will exist.

Thanks guys!

Mike Sweeney

Matt Rowe
07-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Chris,

Are you still running the stock proportioning valve on your Neon? And I assume you have disc brakes on the rear, not the drums, correct?

Rabbit07
07-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Yep, stock prop valves