PDA

View Full Version : Data acquisition to share?

Beran
06-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi,
I'd like to jump in with two feet and get my data acquisition system purchased and installed within the next month.
I'd like to share my data and I'd like to see other ppls data to overlay with mine. I know some of you are faster then me in some parts of the tracks ;-)

Please let me know what system you have and how much you like it and if you are willing to share data.
I know many of the miata guys run a system which allows them to share.

I race a 1997 VW Golf in ITB. I will race most tracks in the NER schedule.

Thanks,
Beran

itracer
06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
I have the DL1 on my Christmas list if I can get my '95 Golf built this winter (as planned). I know many of the Miatas are running this and one of them has had great success with the data.

TimM ITB
06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Beran;

Well I just jumped! I just purchased a Racepak G2X system. It's the basic system - if I want to add throttle position, brake pressure, etc later, I can just add them on. I had resisted this for quite some time, since I kinda felt that I knew where I was slow (via "butt and gut"), but figured since I spend silly money already on "go fast" parts, let's get a little more scientific about it and find out where specific improvements can be made.

So, it arrived on Friday, I have the dash display installed, and I will get the balance in before the race at LRP on the 4th. Let's hope that I can get it configured by then, as well!

To your question, I have no problem sharing data with you. It ought to be interesting! I don't know which system you are going to get, so I don't know if one system's data can be configured to work with others.

The system, delivered to my door was $943.50. It seemed to have everything that I needed, and I can install it myself with little chance for error (which is BIG for me).

I will keep you posted as to how I like it - and I will see you at the Pig Roast!

later,

Tim M

lateapex911
06-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I have an AIM system.

Many in the NE run the DL1. Purely to share data, I'd think seriously about that one.

Greg Amy
06-25-2007, 09:20 PM
I have the DL-1; as Jake noted, many of us in the NE do. Plus, we all share data.

Having data from others is enough of a reason to buy what they're running. You simply CANNOT underestimate the value of shared data and someone who knows what it's telling you...

gran racing
06-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Beren, I really don't think getting a data acq. system is what you should be looking for. It'll just confuse matters and make you faster. :blink:

I just recently bought a DL1 & DASH display. I'm looking forward to Greg helping me interperet the data and see exactly where I can stop being a wuss (besides everywhere). Two companies that sell the DL1 in the US - both are great!

Al Seim, 804-358-7289, Race Technology (http://www.race-technology.com)

Jeremey, 614-216-9552, Fast Tech Limited (http://www.FastTechLimited.com)

RSTPerformance
06-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Dave-

No worries I could spend WAY to much money on that stuff so I am staying away from it for now :eclipsee_steering:

Raymond

Beran
06-26-2007, 11:34 AM
DL-1 seem popular. Although it is more expensive then the G2X.
The dash available with the DL system is nice...also expensive.
Tim - send yours back! Get the DL-1 or 2 so we can share?
The G2X does seem very good and expandable
I'm on the fence. They both have good attributes.
I need an A3 or A2 Golf to compare with when it comes to getting every little bit out.
Comparison with other cars is good but not perfect.
Thank you for all the emails, calls etc.
Keep them comming,
Beran

lateapex911
06-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Ideally you need an A3 Golf, but I'd also think an ITB car thats up front would be of serious interest!

I am told the DL1 has the goods and is accurate, if you are leaning, go that way. You'll forget the money, once it's gone, LOL>

gran racing
06-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Ideally you need someone to drive your car. ;) Even the same make / model will have its differences. Are they using the same suspension, spring rates, sway bar, yadda, yadda, yadda? I can not believe that having two different Golf IIIs could yield the same results as Kirk experiences with his Golf and having multiple drivers behind the same wheel. I do however believe comparing data with others of somewhat similar cars is of great value.

Knestis
06-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Dave's right in that it is REALLY easy to figure out with the DL1 where to find time, when you have multiple people sharing a car. We literally overlaid data from Jeff L., Phil, Greg, and myself and I'm comfortable saying that everyone found time. I have a lot of respect for those guys but it does give a guy the warm fuzzies to have Greg say, "Hey - you're faster there than I am."

That would be the ONE place, but hey - you cling to the little victories.

On the other hand, it is entirely possible to find time all by yourself. I've been too busy/distracted and not racing enough this year to do a good job of it but two years ago, when i had someone who could look at the data for me while I was doing other stuff, I got a lot faster over the course of every weekend that I used it.

The trick is to look at the acceleration lines - on both axes - and learn what they look like when they aren't optimal. They should ramp up smoothly and steeply to their maximum values, then hang there as long as possible. You want to maximize the area between the line and the X-axis (time or distance), just like with a dyno.

The longitudinal acceleration values are great indicators of what you're doing with the brakes and throttle, too. Turn the car in tentatively, stab at the throttle, lift, then get back on it and the whole lovely exercise is captured digitally.

You can even see tire scrub (like if you had a gnarly-bad push) as fuzziness on the tops of the lateral accelerations lines.

K