PDA

View Full Version : AC still in use

invisible saddle
06-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Well I've been building my 89 sohc KA for awhile now. Amidst some setbacks. I got to thinking last night with it being so hot in socal (IE) and knowing the tracks are always hotter. Do you guys run your AC while on track. My friends 997 GT3 has it and im so jealous. What could I do to install a miniature system or is there a universal kit available??

Z3_GoCar
06-22-2007, 05:32 PM
It's called a cool suit. Basically, an ice chest with a water pump that pumps cold water into a special shirt with sewn in tubing. Kind of like an Astronaut's thermal control suit. Track cars are notoriously leaky of air so AC won't do very well and a cool suit will gets the cool right where you need it. I was just thinking how mild this spring has been, we're only getting to a high of 106 today normally we'd be well over 110 with 30mph winds, all at a relative humidity of less than 10.

James

JimLill
06-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Well I've been building my 89 sohc KA for awhile now. Amidst some setbacks. I got to thinking last night with it being so hot in socal (IE) and knowing the tracks are always hotter. Do you guys run your AC while on track. My friends 997 GT3 has it and im so jealous. What could I do to install a miniature system or is there a universal kit available??
[/b]

are you "tracking" or racing...........? In the later, where windows are manadted Open. aircon would never do

invisible saddle
06-23-2007, 01:57 PM
as of this present time I'm tracking it. Ryan of NASA WC said I need to do HPDEs consistently in order to recieve my comp license. So i'm just thinking as I go, beside my friends competes in ST against 360s in a 240sx. Anyways I must look into the cool suit idea. Does it use just ice, or can dry ice be implemented.

Z3_GoCar
06-23-2007, 02:47 PM
There are many paths one might take to getting a comp license. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. Sure track events get you lots of seat time at controling your car at high speeds, but it's hard to beat auto crossing for car control as you'll drive closer to the limit a larger percentage of the time. As for the comp license all it takes is one super-school and a double regional with the scca and you'll have a license that any organization will recognize. Also you have to remember that wheel to wheel doesn't have much in common with track days. I've seen some guys that come to w2w from track days and get freaked out about having someone driving next to them or at the start.

Usually, the cool suit uses regular ice, but I suspose you could sustitue dry ice, but make sure your cooling fluid doesn't freeze up. Then you wouldn't get any more cool.

James

JimLill
06-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I would think that the "blue ice" give longer cooling and less chance of slosh