PDA

View Full Version : Tire Warmers

StangIT
06-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Anyone know of some reasonably priced auto tire warmers or where i can get plans to make some etc.

Jakester
06-18-2007, 05:18 PM
here, but they aren't 'reasonable' (http://chickenhawkracing.com/store/item/8ij5/Car_Tire_Warmers/4-wheel_Standard_warmers.html)

$1450 for a set :blink: !!!

joeg
06-19-2007, 08:41 AM
...and prohibited on the grid per the GCR

1stGenBoy
06-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Best money we have ever spent. Yes, you cannot use them on the grid but you can use them in the paddock. If your paddock spot is close to the grid ( clever you! ) then they are worth ever penny of what they cost. Going out on HOT tires is unbelievable! Look at it this way. Even if you have a pace lap and your tires are at 180 degrees when you go out and you lose 50 degrees on the slow pace lap the tires are still at 130 degrees. Works for me!

Chris Wire
06-19-2007, 03:20 PM
I just can't see how they would work well enough in a non-Pro Racing atmosphere to justify the cost.

In a typical qualifying session, we'll sit on grid for over 5 minutes prior to going out; and if you want to be at the front of the line, you better be there 15 minutes ahead.

For a race, you need to at least be on grid by the 5 min mark, usually because 5 min is not really 5 WHOLE minutes if every one is in place. They'll make it 3 minutes just to get ahead on the schedule.

The waiting time alone pretty much negates any advantage of having the warmers.

JohnRW
06-19-2007, 03:26 PM
...plus everyone will bust your chops about being a poseur.

Greg Gauper
06-20-2007, 10:24 PM
The way the guys (and gals...Cindy Lux uses them too) make them work is with a scanner tuned to the corner net. They keep the car in the paddock or garage until they hear race control tell grid 3 minutes or less till cars are released.

For qualifying, they wait till the one minute mark and pull up just as they are releasing the cars. Then you drop back to give yourself room for a clean lap and go for it.

Yes they do work!