PDA

View Full Version : tire softener

glenhirsch1
06-17-2007, 08:01 PM
I am going to do a track day at infineon in a couple of weeks and was wondering if my 4 year old toyo r1 tires can be brought back to life. They were shaved and have about 3-4 hpde days on them. I purchased some tire softener from my local speed shop and planned to get a little more use out of them. Any experience or advice, like how do you use the stuff and how often can you use the softener?
Thanks

Chris Wire
06-18-2007, 12:59 AM
First order of business would be to get yourself a durometer. That is the only way to be certain that you haven't gone too far while making sure you've gone far enough. Make note of the initial reading of each tire.

Next, depending on the product, it's usually the norm to extend the treatment out over several days. Get yourself some old rags or those heavy duty shop paper towels. Use a paint roller (better than a brush) to apply the product, rotating the tire as you go. Initially apply several coats of product directly to the tire, or as directed by the manufacturer. Then, wrap the tire around the circumference a couple times with the paper towels and secure with masking tape or similar. Then soak the paper towels thoroughly with the product and wrap immediately with the paper towels. There should be a resting period of up to one day. Take secondary readings and repeat the process. Continue to repeat until you get about 5 durometer points below your target number (which for Toyos I would guess is around 55). Once you get to 50, you would cease the treatment and keep the tires completely wrapped until you are ready to use them. The durometer reading will rise during the resting period.

Note: Sometimes you have to deviate from the label instructions to get the best results.

joeg
06-18-2007, 06:44 AM
I would add that you should remove the "pick-up" on the tire before treatment.

Heat gun and chisel work well, but it is a tedious process.

glenhirsch1
06-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. Right now the durometer reading is around 75. Another question is, how many times will the tires respond to this treatment.
Thanks,
Glen

Chris Wire
06-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. Right now the durometer reading is around 75. Another question is, how many times will the tires respond to this treatment.
Thanks,
Glen
[/b]

Usually until the rubber is gone. Just know that the softer you make the tire as it wears down, and the less rubber you have to deal with heat, the more care you need to take not to overdo it.

Besides, as long as you keep using the tires from now on, chances are you won't see that 75 number again, although as the tires sit they will get harder.