PDA

View Full Version : '82 RX-7 and a tall guy (me)...a good match?

RobertM
06-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I've wanted to get racing for several years now but have never had the money or time to do so but now I have both. My family has had an '82 RX-7 for years that used to be my daily driver but now sits in my garage and I would LOVE to take it racing. I'd been planning on race prepping it myself (I fully realize this will cost more and take longer but I would love to do it) but the other day I came to a realization that could throw a wrench into my plan....I may not fit.

I am 6'2" and just sitting in the car my head has always been inches from the roof. With a roll-cage and helmet on I have serious doubts about being able to fit comfortably or even safely into the car. So with that...Are there any tall people out there that race RX-7s and fit, or should I start looking for a different car? I would like to stick with the RX-7 if possible but if I can't fit, I can't fit.

Thanks,

Robert

tom_sprecher
06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
You will fit. I am 6'2" and do not have any problem in my '83. Racing seats sit you much lower in the car and the mounts are short as well. Mine was so low I had a hard time seeing over the hood. There is no headliner either.

Go for it only be prepared to strip the $hit out of your baby and spend a whole lotta dough getting it ready for the track.

dickita15
06-07-2007, 06:39 PM
tom is right. these cars are a lot bigger than a miata. put some thought into the cage placement so you can use all the avalable room including leaning the seat back.

by the way where are you. maybe we can find a car you can sit in first.

lateapex911
06-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I have an RX-7, and I'm 6'3". I use a Momo Starter (or Rookie) seat, and I fit fine. I'm 195 lbs.

I did lean the seat back a bit, and slid it forward a bit, and built my own cage. When I built it, the first thing I did was get the seat and work out the mounting, then I built the cage around me.

Hammer
06-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I am 6'5" and fit in the IT7 RX7 I just sold fine. I had a Kirkey seat in it. The best part about race cars is that no one has to sit behind you.

RobertM
06-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the quick responses! :023: It makes me feel much better knowing that if someone 6'5" can fit I should have no problem. I was just worried for a while there that I would spend all kinds of money building the thing only to find out halfway through the project that I couldn't fit.

Currently I'm in the Dayton, OH general area so on my days off I will have plenty of time to work seeing as there isn't much to do around here especially in the winter. I know this is a massive undertaking and not very cost effective but then again I've never been very smart. :) I love a good challenge!

Thanks again!

Robert

ddewhurst
06-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Robert, I have a complete ISC Racing Services suspension (iscracing.net) for a 1981 through 1985 Mazda RX-7. The two items that are not ISC are from G-Force are the strut spacers & the Tri-Link. (third link for the rear suspension) If you have interest I will make a list of items & your cost will be one half the original new cost. As a matter of fact I have many more items other than the suspennsion for a racing RX-7 that I will include in the list of STUFF.

The ITA RX-7 is stripped & all parts are available today.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Have Fun ;)
David

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin 53213

ps: You might look up Izzy's custom cages in St Louis. IIRC Scott will sell a pre bent/notched roll cage or parts as up desire. He has built many RX-7 roll cages.

joeracerx95
06-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Robert, I have a complete ISC Racing Services suspension (iscracing.net) for a 1981 through 1985 Mazda RX-7. The two items that are not ISC are from G-Force are the strut spacers & the Tri-Link. (third link for the rear suspension) If you have interest I will make a list of items & your cost will be one half the original new cost. As a matter of fact I have many more items other than the suspennsion for a racing RX-7 that I will include in the list of STUFF.

The ITA RX-7 is stripped & all parts are available today.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Have Fun ;)
David

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin 53213

ps: You might look up Izzy's custom cages in St Louis. IIRC Scott will sell a pre bent/notched roll cage or parts as up desire. He has built many RX-7 roll cages.
[/b]

David, please send me your list of items also. So far I have installed a panhard rod. I have a set of front strut spacers waiting for installation. I'm in the market for most other suspension upgrades.

-chuck-

Mike Spencer
06-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Robert!

First of all, welcome! ITA/7 drivers are a great group to race with. I'm sure you're going to have a blast.

Regarding your height, I have always been led to believe that most people vary in height based on the length of their legs. (At least mostly) When sitting down, most people are very similar in "height". That said, there are always exceptions to the rule.

As a test, let's compare height and inseam (weight is not a factor that way :D ). I'm about 5' 10" and have a 32 inch inseam. If you are 6' 2" and have an inseam that's much less than 36 inches, you are going to sit closer to the roof than I do. That doesn't mean there will be a problem. Just might be a better reason to try another car out first.

One more thing. In my car, the roof really isn't the issue. It's the cage bar at the top of the door. It basically lays right up against the left (upper-left) side of my helmet. It's not a problem, but I really can't tilt my head to the left at all. Just wondering if this is common.

Well, I hope things work out and you are out there "turning money into noise" (and adrenalin) with us soon!

kbailey
06-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm only 5'11" but have a short inseam (30") and tall torso (more ape shaped than human.....) I have settled for a fairly leaned back position and remounted the seat all the way in against the tunnel to get my helmet off of the cage pad above the drivers window. I don't think it was a hazard, but I hated rubbing the pad all the time. I'm still close, but don't touch anymore. This also puts my arms and feet at a more natural extension.

As people have said build the cage around your seating position...and definately try a few cars out before you commit to a seating postion. The futher back you get your weight the better the front-rear weight distribution will be (and I assume that is good...someone with more experience in RX-7 setups may tell you otherwise).

Hahn63
06-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Robert,

Give me a call 614-307-0307 and you can come out and sit in our 7. We are in Columbus so it won't be too far of a drive. We have had a 6'5" driver in the car with room. We would be happy to show you the best way to max out your space.

Roland

Scott Nutter
06-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Like kbailey I mounted my seat all the way against the center tunnel, I also mounted my seat to the floor in the back and on the support on the front. Using a Kirkey seat with that wee little bit of padding, my butt is practicle on the floor. I'm only 6' with a 32" inseam. The other thing you could do before going too far is to buy your seat and mount it and see how you like the fit.

With the seat towards the tunnel you do have to drive with your hands a bit to the left, but I don't even notice it.

RobertM
06-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I think this is the friendliest response to a first post on a message board that I have ever received. You guys are great! :)

I’ve been doing some serious thinking and adding up costs and am now leaning towards just buying a used car for my first. With my current job I am junior right now so while I have time off to work on a car, I won’t have the time to actually race it until next season (mostly weekdays off). That’s why I was thinking building would work since I would love to build one, however financially it’s not the smartest idea. I haven’t decided completely but I am pretty sure that’s the way I will go (buying). I would like to stick with the RX-7 because I love the car and have a spare, and thanks to your help I am sure that fitting won’t be as big an issue as I first thought. So for now I am going to keep a look-out for a decent car with good cage so when I make my rookie mistakes I won’t break anything that can’t be hammered or bent back into place. :P

Thanks again for all the help!

Robert

dickita15
06-13-2007, 04:09 PM
robert that is a very good decision.

lateapex911
06-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Wise, very wise. Maybe talk Grant McStay into racing his at Mid Ohio for the IT fest and then leaving it with you...;)

It's a very clean extrememly well built car by an anal tool maker. (No offense, Grant!)