PDA

View Full Version : ITA miatas

jmp
06-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm trying to get an idea of how many ITA miatas are out there or being built. Anyone care to chime in?

Andy Bettencourt
06-06-2007, 05:42 PM
She's a runner. NER has a pretty big ITA field and there is only one real ITA Miata. The next upcoming event only has 2 crossover SM's. We have a real nice mix up here. Integra's mostly, some 240SX's, an SE-R, an NX2000, a Saturn, some CRX's, a couple 1.9L Bimmers, 1st gen RX-7's, a Neon or two and now a Laser! (Laaa-zzzzzer)

http://www.flatout-motorsports.com/images/newsphotos/09narrc2006.jpg

jimalley
06-06-2007, 09:08 PM
NER has a pretty big ITA field and there is only one real ITA Miata.
[/b]

ouch! I was misled to believe the white car I am driving is a ITA miata :unsure:

IPRESS
06-06-2007, 10:58 PM
There are three in Mid South Region that are ITA only.

JLawton
06-07-2007, 06:40 AM
ouch! I was misled to believe the white car I am driving is a ITA miata :unsure:
[/b]

That's Andy's ego for ya. He thinks he's the only one in the country!! :rolleyes:

But then again, he does "fairly" well...........

Andy Bettencourt
06-07-2007, 08:34 AM
ouch! I was misled to believe the white car I am driving is a ITA miata :unsure: [/b]

Sorry Jim! I meant 'full ITA build'. Yours is a stock motored, SM suspension-equipped hybrid that is a lot more SM than ITA - no? I would love for you to convert 100% instead of selling!!! It could be one of the best deals though...

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...showtopic=11637 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11637)

cmaclean
06-07-2007, 10:38 AM
In the Atlanta region Bowie Gray is cleaning up with his full-on 1.6 ITA Miata. Stan Mitchem runs a 1.6 in ITA, Joe Tenney runs an ITA Miata but I'm not sure if that is a 1.6 or a 1.8. Eric Esch has a 1.6 but I haven't seen him out there for a while. I am also finishing up my ITA build. Mine is 1/2 SM 1/2 ITA at this point and will probably stay that way till next season. Out of our region I'm not sure how many. I do know Mac Spikes, Andy Bettercourt, Bob Stretch and Colin Harmer all have very nice ITA Miatas I think they're all 1.8's.

Andy Bettencourt
06-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I hope Bowie hits the ARRC sprint race and not just the Enduro this year.

leawil
06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Two ITA Miatas in Rocky Mtn Division SCCA last year.

The other guy hasn't shown up yet this year, his car was still mostly SM last season, but he hasn't entered in either class in '07.

x-ring
06-07-2007, 02:24 PM
The 'other guy' asked me about an annual at the auto-x last month, and he was at the SWMS event last weekend, so I assume he'll be done pouting soon, maybe in time for the Albuquerque event. His car still had the ITA stickers on the side, FWIW.

Andy Bettencourt
06-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Jim PM'd me - he actually has TWO Miata's. One full ITA development car and one SM/ITA car for sale! AWESOME!

RacerBowie
06-08-2007, 07:56 AM
I hope Bowie hits the ARRC sprint race and not just the Enduro this year.
[/b]

That's the current plan! If I can stay "hot" until then (5 wins in 5 races this year) I will be gunning for a top 5. I need a torque injection to do any better at Road Atlanta I think.

jmp
06-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the responses. My next question is who (preferably closer to Atlanta) would be interested in being a guinea pig for a new race header? If you're a serious dyno whore and can give me some good feedback you end up with a free header. If anyone is seriously interested just email me [email protected]. Thanks again.

Juston

SpudZ
06-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I now there aren't many ITS Miatas floating around, so what are you ITA guys running for shocks packages ? What about ball park figures for spring rates ? I have a 99 Sport I am thinking about turning into an IT car. I know it won't be the fastest, but it could be fun for me :) . It currently has Penske 8100's on it. The shock guy said he might be able to move the Compression and the gas charge to the main body if the shock is long enough. Where are you guys measuring ride height, and how low do you go :) .

Thanks,
Mike

tnord
06-12-2007, 02:34 PM
ride height measured to the pinch weld, and i generally try and stay about 5'' with the SM suspension. With stiffer springs, and shortened bodies, you could go lower. An S Miata theoretically could go even lower since the tophats are different and allow for more travel than the first gen cars.

gran racing
06-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I have one of Juston's headers for my Prelude and have to say he does fantastic work! Someone take him up on his offer.

grippy
06-15-2007, 01:38 PM
There are a few other ITA Miata in the NER, we just haven't made it out to any races yet this year. Maybe not at Andy's caliber, but upper mid-pack. We will be coming out to play soon enough.

JoshS
06-15-2007, 01:59 PM
ride height measured to the pinch weld, and i generally try and stay about 5'' with the SM suspension. With stiffer springs, and shortened bodies, you could go lower. An S Miata theoretically could go even lower since the tophats are different and allow for more travel than the first gen cars.
[/b]
Don't go too low:

"Minimum ride height is five (5) inches, to be measured
without driver at the lowest point of the rocker panel, but
not to include welded seams or fasteners."

We actually got checked in impound at our last race.

tnord
06-18-2007, 09:52 AM
good point josh, i hadn't even thought about that.