PDA

View Full Version : Neon Hubs

gran racing
06-06-2007, 09:08 AM
I recently purchased an ex-SSC ’95 Neon with a friend it we need to replace a front hub. From what I’ve been hearing, this is a weak spot of the Neon but is fairly easy to replace. I was told that instead of just buying a hub, bearings then having it pressed in, it is easier and less expensive to purchase a hub assembly. I did some searching on various sites (primarily related to Mopar parts) but wasn’t able to find anything like that. Any recommendations on this? Also, are there any companies that you suggest compared to others?

In one of the other Neon threads, someone suggested using ACR hubs. Probably a dumb question, but will that fit a SOCH Neon?

I suppose the other thing I need to figure out is if it has the 13" or 14" brakes as asked on several of the parts sites. LOL

Rabbit07
06-06-2007, 11:36 AM
The part to purchase is the Mopar Hub and Bearing Kit for the ACR Neon. Sorry I don't have the Part # handy. If you try to purchase the hub and bearing seperately, you will spend more money. Only buy the dealer parts. I can get bearings after market, but not hubs? Perhaps someone else will chime in with the Mopar Performance Part #. The ACR's all had 10mm flanges on the hub, the base Neons had 8mm flanges.

Here are the individual Part #'s

Hub # 04670292
Bearing # 04668442AA

Happy racing!

gran racing
06-06-2007, 12:08 PM
The ACR's all had 10mm flanges on the hub, the base Neons had 8mm flanges.[/b]

I'm not sure what part you are referring to when you say flanges? Sorry. It's o.k. to use a flange that's bigger? Obviously yes.

So, goto a dealership or online dealership...

Greg Krom
06-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Here is the part number for the ACR Hub and Bearing kit...

P5007314

Definitely buy the kit if your dealer can locate it. The cost of the kit is significantly less than the buying the pieces separately, you basically end up with the bearing for free.

Andy Bettencourt
06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
In one of the other Neon threads, someone suggested using ACR hubs. Probably a dumb question, but will that fit a SOCH Neon?
[/b]

You know they made SOHC ACR's, right?

gran racing
06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Nope, I did not. I pleed total ignorance with Neons. What I do know is it has pretty darn good brakes!!! :D Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it.

Andy Bettencourt
06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
I bet you actually have an ACR. Most SS cars started out as such. IIRC, the ACR Neon came out in 1994 as a 132hp SOHC 4-door and transitioned to the 150hp DOHC 2-door in 1995. There may be cross pollination in there somewhere but I am betting you have what you want already.

Matt Rowe
06-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Actually all SS cars should be ACR's, only the ACR model was classed in SS. Speaking of which when they copied the spec line from SS to IT the different trans ratios that would be IT legal never got added. I have to remember to dig up that info and send in a letter to get it corrected. And the same applies to the rear brakes being available as drums on non-ACR neons. That letter just keeps getting longer. :D

Oh, the two door ACR's were all DOHC, the 4 doors where SOHC's. Oh the trivia one learns.

Rabbit07
06-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Andy, I didn't think a Mazda guy would know so much about Neons?

Matt, you are right! I just never cared because all the neons I have are ACR's I guess a letter is in order, If you need any help with info let me know.

The flange on the hub is the flat that the studs press through. If you are updating for the track a good upgrade is to purchase some ARP studs aswell. The stock studs have been known to break on occassion.

Andy Bettencourt
06-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Chris,

I was on the SCAC for Solo way back when...:)

If I were building a Neon from scratch, I would start with a 2-door SOHC Highline and 'upgrade' it to ACR specs via update/backdate. I am a sucker for the Coupe but like the weight of the SOHC...

lateapex911
06-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Andy, you ARE a car guy, LOL. Anyone who is a "sucker" for any Neon HAS to like cars!

Thankfully, you own a Tiger and an M3 to redeem your car guy status!

Andy Bettencourt
06-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Andy, you ARE a car guy, LOL. Anyone who is a "sucker" for any Neon HAS to like cars!

Thankfully, you own a Tiger and an M3 to redeem your car guy status!
[/b]

M3 is on the way out...MazdaSpeed 3 gets picked up tomorrow!

RacerBill
06-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Andy: I am going to try and find some information I have at home about Green Bearings. They used to make replacement bearings for Chrysler 2.2L cars. They were an advantage in that the whole hub and bearings were one unit and slid into the steering knuckle. You could change bearings without having to press them in with the knuckle removed from the car (necessitating an alignment).

Tried their website www.greenbearings.com and the phone number I have, but no luck.

gran racing
06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Some of the shops I've called have been less than helpful. One of them told me that part number P5007314 is for the Hub Bearing kit. They told me that there is no Hub AND Bearing kit, which I know isn't true.

Jake, you rode in the Neon and while not nearly the same as driving it, you weren&#39;t in the least bit impressed with the car? I&#39;m leaving myself open here, aren&#39;t I? If you didn&#39;t get me thinking about turn two so much, I wouldn&#39;t have missed that apex by 12 feet. <_<

lateapex911
06-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Oh, I was impressed, that the wheels actually stayed on!....the wheels were um....shall we say optimistically attached? The brakes were darn good, though. And it turned well, except that time the rear came around on john. Gulp.

Interior quality? Well....
Power steering fluid retention? "They all do that"...

Would I buy one? No. (Not that my car was any better,,,)

Andy....SHHHHHH> You PROMISED to keep the Mazda money quiet!!! Sheeeesh!

Greg Krom
06-08-2007, 08:25 AM
There are a couple of dealers here in the Detroit area who are quite familiar with Neon racing and even offer racer discount pricing. They will ship anywhere in the US as well. The dealers are Galeana&#39;s Van Dyke Dodge and Fenton Dodge. I&#39;ll dig up the contact information and post it.

GregM
06-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Oh, I was impressed, that the wheels actually stayed on!
[/b]

I only lost one last weekend at Summit :D :D