PDA

View Full Version : ARRC Enduro Options

Butch Kummer
06-05-2007, 05:15 PM
This kinda got lost in the other thread, but recent developments have re-opened some possibilities for the 2007 ARRC Enduro(s). I need to discuss the options with the ARRC Committee and our workers, but input from y'all can go a long way in determining the direction we'll take:

Option A -
. One Three-Hour Enduro on Sunday, two required pit stops
. All cars from big to small (ITO, ITU, ITR, ITS, ITA, IT7, ASM, SSM, ITB, ITC, ITT, SRX, whatever)
. $350 entry fee regardless of how many drivers
. 60-minute qualifying session on Sunday morning (which could well be split into two sessions)

Option B -
. Two 90-minute Enduros on Sunday, each with one required pit stop
. Enduro A would be "small" cars (ITU, ASM, SSM, ITB, ITC, SRX, etc.)
. Enduro B would be "big" cars (ITO, ITR, ITS, ITA, IT7)
. swap the order each year so everybody gets hosed equally on the late departure
. $250 entry fee regardless of how many drivers
. 30-minute qualifier for each group on Sunday morning

Advantages to Option A:
. more track time (assuming you're fast enough in your class to make the show)
. easier to split the cost (and track time) with two of your buddies

Advantages to Option B:
. 140 slots available instead of 70 (although it's more likely we'd have 45-50 in each group)
. less speed differential in each group (more time racing and less time watching your mirrors)
. half of you get to pack up earlier than the other half each year
. more breaks for the workers (three hours is a LONG time to be on station)

It's probably a wash financially to the region. Granted there's the chance to collect more entry fees if both events are fully subscribed, but there's also the chance at less entry fees. We'd make more with 70 entries in Option A vs. 45 entries in each race of Option B. 49 entries in each race would be the break-even point for us. Either option gives me a sprint race on Sunday afternoon, so that's a wash as well.

I'll be away from the computer for the next week, but I'm CERTAINLY interested in your thoughts on this. And again, this is under consideration for the 2007 ARRC.

Our next Race Board meeting in June 25, so let me know...

Butch Kummer
ARRC Committee Chairman

CaptainWho
06-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi Butch,

I'll answer this as a worker, since it's much more likely I'll flag or shoot the ARRC than drive it. I'd just be a rolling chicane if I drove it. :D

Something to keep in mind for the enduros ... in the past, we've had "abandonment issues" with some of the cross track stations. At some points on the track, it's not an issue. Cross track at twelve is still in easy physical contact with the rest of the track to replenish fire bottles, water, etc., without using the racing surface. Some of the cross-track stations are not so lucky, like five and seven (there's usually not anyone cross-track at six for the ARRC). So make sure everyone has thought about contingency planning to handle stuff like that. As the length of the race increases, the importance of this issue does, too, since the chances are higher someone will need replenishment.

Also, could "management" please make sure Karyn stays in the loop on things like sponsorship and outside involvement and stuff so the shooters know what to focus their coverage on? For example, last year the Yokohama Start Volunteer of the Year was on the stand at the ARRC, but I only found out because I ran into Toni or someone on pit road and they asked if I could get shots. I've just about given up on actually knowing who the top three finishers for each class are until long after the photos are in the can. :) That's not a big deal in a two or three class group ... it's a nightmare in wings-n-things with, what, fifteen or twenty classes of one or two cars each? :D

RSTPerformance
06-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Havn't had much time to post in the last week, but this one I will put in my vote, even if I might not be going... Personally 90 minutes is not much of an enduro, I would go with the 3hr race. Also if you are worried about faster and slower cars, the track is big enough that you will not get lapped every 3 or 4 laps so I personally don't think it is an issue, and more part of the enjoyment of not running around alone for 1.5 hours.

Raymond "Option A" Blethen

Chris Wire
06-05-2007, 11:52 PM
While I'm not a candidate for '07, I'd like to share anyway with the hopes of joining the fun in '08 and beyond.

I prefer option A, as it makes it easier to get a couple of buds to make the trip together and have a great time racing. I don't believe that the speed differential is that big a deal, as I think that the track is large enough to accomodate, and attrition will take its toll as well.

I also would like to see some of the prestige returned to the ARRC enduro, and a 90 minute race simply won't do that. I know that the ARRC is all about the sprints, and that's the way it should be. However, the enduro can and should stand higher than a normal ECR.

And those of you that have aspirations beyond club racing, just think of it as a training ground for the Rolex series or ALMS! If you can't handle traffic at the ARRC enduro, you'll have real problems raising your game to the pro-racing level.

I like the enduro for another reason, and that it rewards strategy and consistency. It's not always the rabbit that wins. Most times, but not always!

RacerBowie
06-06-2007, 07:00 AM
I vote for option A, the single 3 hour race.

But I will be running the enduro regardless of which option is chosen.

charrbq
06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Option A. Option B is no different from an ECR that I drive solo. The ARRC should be something special and different in every aspect.

Cobrar05
06-07-2007, 08:52 AM
I would have to ask a 3rd driver, but would probably sign up for option A. Truth is that either works for me.
60 min qual. IF split into two sessions, does that mean just on 30 for all three drivers to get some practice or two sessions for everyone?
just one 30 would be asking a lot for three driver teams.

lateapex911
06-07-2007, 09:19 AM
I prefer option A, but I REALLY don't like the idea of mandatory pit stop counts. Enduros are about strategy, and making two stops mandatory takes that away. IF you feel you MUST mandate a stop, make it one.

(I understand mandatory stop times when the fuel door is opened, but I've heard good arguements on either side of that one as well.)

But, clearly my choice is 3 hours, one stop mandated max.

Cobrar05
06-07-2007, 11:07 AM
One stop kind of kills the 3rd driver concept. It then eliminates those that don't want to drive more than an hour from the field.

RSTPerformance
06-07-2007, 01:20 PM
I prefer option A, but I REALLY don't like the idea of mandatory pit stop counts. Enduros are about strategy, and making two stops mandatory takes that away. IF you feel you MUST mandate a stop, make it one.

(I understand mandatory stop times when the fuel door is opened, but I've heard good arguements on either side of that one as well.)

But, clearly my choice is 3 hours, one stop mandated max.
[/b]

Agreed... No Required stops, may the best team win!!! :eclipsee_steering: :smilie_pokal:

lateapex911
06-07-2007, 07:16 PM
One stop kind of kills the 3rd driver concept. It then eliminates those that don't want to drive more than an hour from the field. [/b]

Not necessarily, if there aren't minimum times on the stops, and it also depends on the fuel capacity of the car in question.

Looked at the other way, mandating two stops kinda makes it three races in a row...which is NOT an enduro. It also "rewards" a team that wants to throw fresh tires at the car twice, as they now have no time penalty for doing so. Three sprint races with little tire conservation concerns results.

Open the stops requirement, and strategy options open up.

Back off the pace and conserve tires, but save a stop? Or go all out, burn down the tires and stop often? Choices, choices.

3 hours is also very makeable for one driver.

Cobrar05
06-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Yes...again you point out the value of the no stops...one driver doing the three hours. again it kills or hurts the idea of sharing the driving.

I would either do it myself...alone or not do it.

murphyd
06-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Definetly option A. The shortening of the Enduros is the reason I stopped running them. Pitstop options?? I like the mandatory stops as it eliminates the need for a "professional style" crew and keeps it more grassroots, however no mandatory stops does open up the options!! Just make it known early!! And stick with it.

msogren
06-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Maybe limit the cell size or mandate one stop. Icould get my VW to go three hours on 16 gal of gas.
I was beat by a BMW with a 22 gal cell once. Have rules or mandate stops please at 1 per three hr.
90 min is not an enduro. I vote A, but wont be back there until 08. MM