PDA

View Full Version : Call to all CCR racers, autocrossers, time trialers, etc.

NutDriverRighty
06-04-2007, 11:00 AM
On Thursday the 14th of June, there will be a meeting/social at Ryan's on Lauren's Road in Greenville, SC to discuss setting-up of a chapter of the CCR to better serve the SCCA members of Western NC, the Upstate of SC, etc. One of my personal complaints with the region is that the autocrossers are very active and have a great deal of events, etc. Road racers, however, seem to be much less involved. With the loss of the Lowe's event this year, I think we need to step-up and have our voices heard. According to what I saw on the thread, the potential competitors for the event were willing to pay what the administration of the region seemed to think was too high an entry fee.
Please come and help us to make this a region that serves the needs of it's members, no matter what their choice of discipline. Thanks.

Scott Franklin
IT7 and SPU
www.NutDriver.org

NutDriverRighty
06-05-2007, 09:21 AM
After reading my post and discussing the perceived tone with another CCR member, I must recant parts of the post and apologize to any I may have offended. First, my knowledge of the cancellation of the Lowe's race was based on exceedingly limited knowledge. I DON'T know the full process that went into the decision and should have known more before commenting. I will miss this event and wish that others could have had the full of running the high banks WFO. My apologies.
In regard to the tone of the comments about club racers, my intention was to encourage EVERYONE, regardless of discipline, to be more involved with the operations of the region. My comments about the club racers being under-represented was intended to point the finger at the club racers (myself included) not being more involved, NOT at the board or the current administration not serving the needs of the club.
For those of you who don't know (and I expect Dick and I are the only ones who DO know this), I approached Dick McCollister at the Memorial Monster and offered my assistance "any way I can be utilized" and thanked him for taking the reins when Martin resigned his position. I know that the administration of ANY region often has more tasks than people to accept the responsibility. I simply wanted to offer my help.

Scott Franklin
ITA/IT7 and SPU
www.NutDriver.org

seckerich
06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Great Job Scott. We need and welcome the input of all the members. The BOD of CCR wants to tailor all our programs to better serve our members and encourage participation by everyone. The new chapter is a good move in that direction. We need to reach out to past members that got fed up and walked away and draw from their experience. Some have moved their region of record and my goal is to get them back as CCR members. We have so many good things going on this year with our new Hillclimbs for the solo crowd and hope to add more for the road racers. Our AX program is strong as ever and growing so it is the perfect time to move forward. Thanks for your willingness to step up!! :026:

Cobrar05
06-07-2007, 09:49 PM
I am an eastern nc guy and so a 55 region member. But the health of CCR and the road racing at CMP and Lowe's are critical to my long term plans.

Personally, I am interested in advocating ITE/ITO rules like the Atlanta and Cincinnati region which encourages mustang and camaro drivers from NASA American Iron to join the racing at SCCA without having to tangle with WCC's at the same time.

And do it in enough regions that we can have a points championship. With ITE running in some form at VIR, Roebling, Road Atlanta, Nashville, and with healthy races at CMP and Charlotte there is a nice package of races for us Mustang racers to play with.

loboracer
06-07-2007, 11:27 PM
The CCR Board is very excited about developing a chapter in the western portion of our region. We’re very thankful to Scott for stepping forward and offering his time to help get this off the ground. We look forward to meeting our current and future members and strive to service their needs. As in any endeavor such as this, volunteers make the difference. Scott and CCR cannot be successful without volunteers. Please feel free to attend our first gathering on Thursday June 14th and come prepared with ideas and a commitment to make this chapter a first for CCR I’m looking forward to meeting everyone and listening to your suggestions.

Dick McCollister
RE CCR

NutDriverRighty
06-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Pleez, Pleez, PLEEZ bring club racers with you when you come. Involvement in CCR activities (on the CCR forum, at least) has been dominated by autocrossers. While this is fine and I commend them for their efforts, I want club racers to come out and put in their $0.02 worth. IMHO, autocrossing in the CCR doesn't seem to need alot of help. They have many events within a 2 hour drive at numerous locations. They are going to be an integral part in the development of this new chapter, I just hope that we can share it among disciplines. BTW, those disciplines include F&C, T&C, grid, EV, tech, Stewards, etc. Step up! Show your support!
Thanks.

Scott Franklin
ITA/IT7 and SPU
www.NutDriver.org

(Apologies for being redundant)

JeffYoung
06-08-2007, 08:28 AM
No need to apologize, and those of us in the NCR applaud this. We all were disappointed by the Lowe's cancellation (although necessary) and anything we can do to help you guys get that event back on the schedule for next year would be appreciated.

If not Lowes, does CCR have any interest in putting on a race at Rockingham?

NutDriverRighty
06-10-2007, 02:29 PM
I went to The ROCK in March. Went through hell getting through Monroe from Charlotte. Stayed in a motel right by the *!@$# railroad tracks, set the BG on fire..............hell yes, I'd go back!!
In all seriousness, if it were my soul decision, I'd like to do it. It is going to take alot to make this happen and, rest assured, I'll do everything within my (very limited) power to get another CCR-sponsored RR on the schedule ASAP.
In regards to the Rock, I liked it. Going flat through 1&2 was a blast. Chasing the rearend through the carousel was fun, too. While the infield is much flatter than Charlotte, it was interesting to see the "varied" lines through the chicane and back onto the oval. For those of you who have heard bad things about the transition back to the oval, if you change your line (and follow Carroll Smith's driving philosophy), you'll have no problems.

Cobrar05
06-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I would support a race at Lowe's, Rockingham, or even a CCR sanctioned race at VIR. If they can get a weekend at VIR I would be dilerious.

JeffYoung
06-11-2007, 10:07 PM
For a variety of reasons (and I don't mean for this to sound rude, but there is a lot going on with that), that (a race at VIR for CCR) probably just isn't possible.

I hear that SCR is after some dates at Rockingham as well.

One suggestion for all of you guys in NCR/SCR/CCR/Buccaneer leadership positions: the schedule for SARRC races is extremely front loaded in the NC/SC/GA region. This year, racing in "our" area essentially ended in May at CMP until the SIC, unless you want to tow to Barber or Nashville, or to Atlanta for a single SARRC.

Any chance of the SIC moving to October, and us having some racing around here in August and September?

mazda49
06-12-2007, 08:54 AM
The strength of the club racing program is dependent upon entries, workers, and track rental being within reason. I am happy that Steve Ekerich as a competitor and active worker has taken on an expanded role in CCR. Unfortunately, I am geograhically on the opposite side of the regions meeting being in Myrtle Beach trying to manage a racetrack with an open practice and three Hooters Cup Teams practicing on the same day, as the meeting in Asheville.
I support Steve in any position he takes on any topic that comes up, since I won't be there. I would like to see us race more at Rockingham since it is a resonalbly priced rental for a nice facility, garages, track, etc.
The feasiblity of all racing is dependent upon the factors of cost. While I have never attended a CCR meeting and I have been in the club since 1970 first Swamp Fox the CCR starting in 1975. I have run a racing facility, broadcast and produced races (radio/television) , announced races, run races, promoted races, officiated stock car races and with my limited knowledge would offer my it if needed in some capacity.The only problem I have is over the years, are officials who make decsions based on their ego/authority which on two occassion sent me to IMSA for five years and NASCAR for fifteen.. These are not sour grapes but intended reinforce the "Club Racing" needs to be user friendly. Everyone these days uses some form of research to determine what's wrong or what is right. There really isn't a problem the Club Racing program just needs to refine itself and and let the unknowing in on our activities.
Bill Hennecy CCR Member

NutDriverRighty
06-12-2007, 04:12 PM
I have to agree. I don't think that the point of all of this is to re-invent the wheel, but to get knowledge of the wheel to the masses so we can do more with our wheels for all of us (I hope that makes more sense than it sounds in my head).

NutDriverRighty
06-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Well, the meeting/social took place tonight with about 35 folks in attendance. Thanks to Steve Eckerich and Dick McCollister for coming to take part. By my count, of the 35 or so there, only about 5 were road racers. Any ideas out there as to what can be done to get more road racers involved with club activities aside from going to the track to race?

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org

06-15-2007, 10:03 AM
I hated to miss this, but I was driving back from a work meeting in WV last night. From my conversations with Steve E. at CMP a couple of weeks ago, I like the direction he is taking. One constant with club racing is it is hard to have a meeting and get good participation if it is mid week. Racing takes us away from family more than many additions that have twelve step programs. Convincing the wife that I need to be away another night is dangerous!

How about talking to racers and workers at the social on Saturday evening of a race weekend? My experience is that there are more than 35 racers there. They are very eager to talk as well. Er.. that may good or bad, but you will definately know how they feel about an issue.

Overall I am concerned. When I moved to this area 13 years ago we had a national that frequently had IT restricted regional participation in March, the June Jam and the July fry at Lowes. CMP didn't exist then, but I will take a hotter than hades race at Lowes over the best weekend at CMP everytime. It is a nice track, and they have done great things with what they have to work with, but it is hard to be Lowes!

I hope we can do some good here, I would love to see CCR's racing program back where it once was.

Mike

tbtapper
06-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Jeez Scott, guess I haven't been reading the posts in enought detail. I didn't realize that this issue was "alive" again or I would surely have been there.

I am most interested in supporting this process from the road racers perspective. I have not and should/will "contribute" to support of my "hobby" , yes hobby through participating in races AND when I can't race I will as time and committments permit be a worker.

As the process matures let me know if there is anything I can do to assist/support. Stop by sometime and give Sam and I an update.

Travers
ITS 19

JeffYoung
06-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I know one thing Travers wants on the agenda -- fix the scale at CMP!!!

Travers, I too was 20 lbs lighter on it than I was at Rockingham and VIR.....

tbtapper
06-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Yep, I just can't believe it. I had my "heavy" wheels (+10lbs) AND my coolshirt unit filled with water/ice.

Still 5lb light compared to the previous event at CMP where I had the light wheels and not coolshirt/water.

I've added back 10lbs of ballast to compensate for wheel changes and I now grid with a full cell. So, hopefully if I've fixed the stutter problem (bad fuel pump???) and I can be competitive I'll meet minimum.

Hope so, look forward to some good close racing with you and the slower Z cars. Great bunch of guys, what fun to have a bunch of cars that are close to the same performance.

Sadly, I'll miss Barber. It was on my "must do list" but the window closed on being able to test the repairs on my car before Barber and I don't want to pull all the way to Birmingham to find out it's still not right.

See ya at RA in July?? Hope so.

Travers

NutDriverRighty
06-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Sorry about your not knowing about the social/meeting at Ryan's last night, Travers. I called Sam (and hoped that he'd let you, Freddie, etc. know about it. I even called him at 5:30 yesterday to remind him). I also talked to Hooker, who was to talk with Humphries. Both had other commitments. Hooker was to talk to Ostendorf. I talked to Finger and he was there. I talked to Hamp and he said he would be there, but didn't make it. He talked to Hap Waldrop and he didn't come. I talked to Herb, but he had other commitments. I discussed it with others as well. I hope that I don't piss anyone off with this comment, but I am concerned about the under-representation of road racers at such socials/meetings. Of the 35 or so folks there, we only had 5 road racers. The autocrossers are organized, social, and have many more events than we do. I agree that it is hard to make it on a weeknight and scheduling something on a non-race weekend is great if we can get better turnout for all disciplines. I was one only two F&C folks. The board provided (IIC) FIVE representatives, so they are definately behind this idea. Let's step-up and help build this momentum and help Steve in his push for more road racing and hillclimb events, as well as autocrosses. Any suggestions on a weekend day that everyone isn't going to be at a race? We've talked about having a "tech day" where we can do stuff like corner weight cars, etc. Kind of a "share the knowledge" type of activity. I wonder if Sam would be interested? Maybe Hamp? Whoever. Thanks for the interest, Travers. Keep checking in here and at the CCR site. I'd love to have you help represent for club racing.

Scott