PDA

View Full Version : Barber Registration open

Hotshoe
06-03-2007, 04:51 PM
[attachmentid=976]Hey everyone,

..... Registration is now open for the race at Barber Motorsports Park.

.... Click Here: http://www.dlbracing.com/default.aspx

.... It will be my first time there, and my BMW and I are getting better together every time out.

.... Hope to see you there

.... Rick Thompson / ITR 98 BMW Z3

JeffYoung
06-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Rick, I'm going, probably leaving Thursday to run some of the test day. Call me, we can caravan if you want. It is a LONG, LONG way but a GREAT track.

Tristan Smith
06-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Oh dear god...............watch out everyone. I am going to get into the car and ATTEMPT to do that driving thing again. It's hard to believe it's been over a year since I last sat in the car. I apologize to everyone in advance for whatever stupid driving I do do. Now, the the skinny pedal on the right is the go pedal, right????

DavidM
06-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Where you been Tristan? The weather's been pretty tame. It's been lonely being the only 240SX running. See you at Barber.

David

Tristan Smith
06-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Been stuck in a home renovation from hell. 9 months without a kitchen, three months in the dead of winter with no heat...........ect. ect. Someday it will be done.....but then again I may be dead by then. But I like Barber, so it is worth the financial hardship of trying to race and pay for everything else.

JeffYoung
06-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Woohoo! The red, white and blue SX back in action. This means beers after racing though.....

Hotshoe
06-06-2007, 07:41 PM
[attachmentid=983]

Rick, I'm going, probably leaving Thursday to run some of the test day. Call me, we can caravan if you want. It is a LONG, LONG way but a GREAT track.
[/b]

Jeff ,

...... Sounds like a plan. Sure wish I could ride with you in that new Dodge pick-up.

...... I plan on leaving Thursday morning. So far I think we have four other drivers leaving at the same time.

...... Well Boyz ...........Looks like we are going to have us a convoy............LOL

lateapex911
06-06-2007, 08:02 PM
"Icky"?????

I know...IT R...icky.

Looks great Ricky, have fun ...how many first place trophies so far?

Hotshoe
06-07-2007, 12:48 PM
[attachmentid=985]

"Icky"?????

I know...IT R...icky.

Looks great Ricky, have fun ...how many first place trophies so far?
[/b]

Jake,

.... So far I'm batting a 1000. Four wins, no losses.

.... Two were uncontested so all I had to do was place....... good thing, my computer was not thinking properly and I was running on "limp mode" .... got that fixed B)

.... Next two I had one other competitor (an E36) and managed to hold him off for two more.

.... I have some work to do , but , I'll get it figured out by next season.

.... Along with some serious jingle... lol

.... Rick Thompson / ITR 98 BMW Z3

charrbq
06-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm in. Said last time I doubted that I'd ever make the race again due to the intense heat and the hard time I had learning the course...but what the hell! If the course is hard to learn, then I'm not trying hard enough to learn it, right? Besides, it's a huge event that can't be missed. I just hope that the guy(s) in charge of the race party on Saturday realize that this is a huge event and plan the food accordingly. If it's not too much too ask, could the weather steward provide a little breeze and perhaps a partly cloudy sky to help out. I'm old and I've been very sick lately. :lol:

JeffYoung
06-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Sounds good Rick. I will be leaving around the same time I think, or at least that is the present plan.

Your BMW should love Barber, it is a up and down, short straight torquey track. A bit hard on brakes though.

lateapex911
06-07-2007, 07:09 PM
A bit hard on brakes though. [/b]

LOL.....and from your eyes, what track isn't?? Nice job starting the brake slug fest up in rules and regs! At least it got the SM in ITA thing down the list. But I STILL got dragged thru the mud! Sheesh!

JeffYoung
06-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, the part where I go from the paddock to the grid isn't TOO hard on the brakes on my car......

Yeah, the brake thing got silly. About 95% of the guys posting on there gave me helpful informatoin and good thoughts......a couple others just flew off the handle.

Anyway, I accomplished what I wanted which was to hear a bunch of different viewpoints on some potential solutions to my issues. All in all, for me, a good helpful thread once I just ignored the name callers.

pballance
06-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Hope to see you guys at Barber. My plans for now are to work a corner and hang out with IT cars in the paddock. :happy204: Safe travels to you all! For once, I only have a two hour drive to the track :D

charrbq
06-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Wonder if the troll from Florida will be there racing or parading at the gates carrying a protest sign. :lol:

BlueStreak
06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Just so everyone knows my perspective here, this may be best racetrack within 1000 miles of me. Now, I do not want to start a storm here, I know the effort to get us back on that course has been ENORMOUS, so I don't want to discourage all of those people whose hard work made this event a reality again, BUT.......

Did anybody notice the cancellation fee and time line? Has there ever been an SCCA club event with this draconian of a cancellation policy? I don't know about you guys, but for me, this is a hobby, and anything from a broken tow vehicle to a sick kid could keep me home that weekend. This seems a bit much for me.

Anybody know what the story is here? I hate the thought of missing this one........someone fill me in.

seckerich
06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
I don't think troll season ever closes in Alabama so I doubt it. :blink: Any advice on a good motel to stay at? Close to the track would be a plus.

charrbq
06-11-2007, 01:31 PM
I understand, when roasted over an open flame, troll tastes just like chicken!

Good motel is Days Inn, Leeds, Al. 205-699-9833...$75/night...king or double.

Stayed there last, and only, time I ran there. It's just down the road on I20 from the road leading to the track...about a ten minute drive. Restaurants, fuel, etc. are all close and the price is cheaper than the hotel close to the track. Can't remember the name of that one, but I believe it was "Hotel Big Bucks".

JeffYoung
06-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Steve, I drove another 10 miles towards B-ham and there was a lot of stuff. NOt far from the track.

Eddie, what was the cancellation policy? I didn't catch that one.

bldn10
06-11-2007, 02:16 PM
To my surprise the Days Inn still has at least 1 room for $63.75 + taxes and fees.

I booked one at the Delux Inn in B'ham about 15 miles from the track exit. OK for $50. 205-956-4440

I hope we get more actual track time on the test day this year.

Refunds after 6/22 will be light by $100. <_<

BlueStreak
06-11-2007, 02:17 PM
from alscca.org :

"Entry fee for the Double SARRC is $320 and $185 for a single SARRC. Refunds after June 22 will be subject to a $100 cancellation fee. Because Barber Motorsports Park requires the region to pay for track rental in advance of the event and track rental is at a premium, all entry fees will be deposited/transacted upon receipt. ALSCCA does have a refund policy as will be set out in the Supps. "

Not good, but then it gets even more confusing. Under "REGISTRATION" in the supps it says "checks for no-shows will be shredded" . In the same section, it also says "All hardships must be adjusted at the track with the Chief of Registration prior to leaving the premises."

SO, if "all entry fees will be deposited/transacted upon receipt." as said on the website, how are they going to retain $100 and shred the checks on the no-shows? :blink:

Anyone out there able to clarify?

charrbq
06-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Sounds like so many other Supps I&#39;ve read from so many other regions. They frequently come in a standard form thats adjusted, but not always completely for various quirks of an event site. I&#39;d try to contact the registrar for a clarification or a number and someone to contact.

The extra $100 was to compensate other drivers when your car spits out half-shafts and such :D

Don&#39;t worry, I&#39;ve had worse things come off my car or spit at me from other vehicles. Some of which were on track with me...some not. :lol:

BlueStreak
06-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Do I get a discount if I spit smaller pieces ?:D

Seriously, I made my comment because I felt the two week notice and $100 was a bit much. Now, after reviewing the documentation so I could put the quotes in the post, I&#39;m just confused :wacko:

mattbatson
06-11-2007, 04:36 PM
is there also a thing that Barber does where if you go off track and destroy some sod or other surface/item, you have to in turn pay to fix?

I&#39;m trying to decide whether to attend.

Hasnt this race been well attended in the past?

If the fields were big, it may be worth it.

BlueStreak
06-11-2007, 04:47 PM
The damage responsibility goes, by the letter of the law, for ANYWHERE you run. Most places seem to selectively enforce it based on the circumstances of the incident. If they say "don&#39;t run through the grass at corner X" in the driver&#39;s meeting and then they have video of car Y driving through the grass at corner X on every other lap, they&#39;re probably going to send car Y a bill for sod.

As for field size, count on it being packed. This is one beautiful facility with an extremely well designed track. If you can make it, don&#39;t miss it.

JeffYoung
06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Matt, technically that is true at all tracks I run. A buddy at CMP got charged $150 for oil dry. At VIR, if you tear up a guardrail, you pay for it. The difference is that in the past, the track management at other tracks has been reasonable about this stuff.

I was at Barber at the infamous 2004 race where we (the SCCA) allegedly did something like $30,000 in damage to the grounds and guardrails. I saw nothing that would even come close to that amount, and I frankly didn&#39;t like the Paddock Nazis who walked around, with guns, busting chops for small spills of fluids.

All of that said, Barber was to me (even as a rookie) perhaps the most interesting track I have run, adn the facilities are truly world class. I didn&#39;t think a track could have better facilities than VIR -- Barber does.

Barber has just about every time of corner, different radii, apexs, sweepers, high speed esses, up and down, a small corkscrew, etc. Straights are the perfect length for IT cars (just touching top of 4th/5th gear). Fields were huge in 04 too. I think there were 20+ ITS cars.

Fun track, hope the track management has chilled out.

chuck baader
06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Track management has definitely become more user friendly. That being said, if you damage a guard rail, expect to pay. A word of advise...if you have a spill, epically gasoline or oil, notify security immediately..they can treat the spill and no damage will occur, hence no bill. (at least that is what has happened in the past)

It is, in fact, the finest facility in the country....something everyone should try.

As to your question about entries, when I did registration in 2004 there were around 340 entries with just north of 40 no shows. Needless to say, fields were full!! Currently there are 92 entrants with almost a month before the race. This should be another great race, so plan to attend. The Hampton Inn, Edwards Lake Road in Trussville is a good place to stay. About 15 minutes from the track, all freeway. Actual location is I459 and I59 exit, Highway 11, Trussville. Chuck

bldn10
06-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Why are drivers being charged for damage when that&#39;s one reason we have event ins.? We had an AS Mustang nose into a tire wall backed by a 3&#39; high concrete wall a few years ago and he knocked about 12&#39; of the concrete wall down. The repair was about $1800 paid by our ins. Didn&#39;t cost the driver a dime. Well, at least the wall repair didn&#39;t.

CCARVER
06-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Harris,
If you and Gary are going, John and I might have to try and make this one.
Let me know your plans and lets caravan. I will lead the trip there just like the laps on course.
Carver

charrbq
06-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Harris,
I will lead the trip there just like the laps on course.
Carver
[/b]
Sure...right.... I&#39;ll get by this week to pay for the EVo thing, and we can discuss it. Let&#39;s see...ITS turns faster laps than ITC. :blink: I suppose it can happen even with a novice driver. ;)

Mike Spencer
06-12-2007, 11:09 PM
<snip> Under "REGISTRATION" in the supps it says "checks for no-shows will be shredded" . In the same section, it also says "All hardships must be adjusted at the track with the Chief of Registration prior to leaving the premises."

SO, if "all entry fees will be deposited/transacted upon receipt." as said on the website, how are they going to retain $100 and shred the checks on the no-shows? :blink:

Anyone out there able to clarify?
[/b]

Good question...

I&#39;m no "seasoned veteran", so when I read the part about "hardships must be adjusted at the track" I was naive enough to believe it was for people who broke on Saturday morning and didn&#39;t want to get charged for the double. <_<

I sure hope that Chuck is right about track management becoming more user-friendly.

See everyone there!

charrbq
06-13-2007, 09:34 AM
If track management isn&#39;t more user friendly, then it&#39;s doubtful that there will ever be another SCCA event held there. If there is, I doubt that I attend. There is a limit to things.

apexingsupra
06-13-2007, 10:32 AM
LET ME CLEAR A FEW THINGS UP ABOUT THE ALSCCA RACE:

1. The $100 cancellation fee is not part of the supps and does not apply. It was originally thrown around when pre-supps drafting we put up an informational page on the ALSCCA web site to answer questions. Since all racers always read the supps :rolleyes: it is the supps that "rule". It was thrown around to charge a cancellation fee during that "gut check" time when the region looked at just how expensive it is to put on a race at Barber. It ain&#39;t cheap. The $100 cancellation fee has been taken off the ALSCCA website.

2. Track Damage. Without rehashing what happened in 2004 on the track damage bill let me just say that things have changed quite a bit since then. There is a lot less track damage assessed these days and the prices are lower too. It has not really caused any problems over the last few years with various clubs who either race there or hold PDX/track events there. YET, they still will assess damage if someone wads something up. I expect some damage will be assessed but nothing like the past. Yes if you hit it and damage it bad enough, it is yours. But then other tracks charge for damage too. We have never gotten a bill for damage to grass (we are allowed to tear up so much per day). But then how many tracks have lawn grade grass as run off? Barber is a world class facility (heck just look at how nice and clean the bathrooms are) which intends to keep its immaculate status.

3. As to depositing checks we talked about this and again that was for the reason that ALSCCA has to pay IN ADVANCE of the event for the track rental ($$$$), ambulances ($$), fire trucks ($$), etc. etc. Looking at the bank account and the outlay was pretty scary. Again the Supps control and we are not depositing the checks.

Hope that answers the questions.

Barry H.
ALSCCA Race Admin.

BlueStreak
06-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for having the website corrected - I&#39;m not confused any more. Now it looks like registration for this race is just like any other race :D

charrbq
07-02-2007, 10:51 AM
This may be a stupid question, but after a recent similar error, I feel compelled to ask. Everything I read online lists the race dates as July 7, 8, & 9. That&#39;s Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, 2007. Even though I&#39;m relatively certain that&#39;s an error, and it should be July 6, 7, & 8, 2007. Would someone in charge please confirm those dates? :blink:

BlueStreak
07-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Or what month it is?

alscca forum announcement (http://www.alscca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2003) :blink:

charrbq
07-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Maybe that&#39;s it!