PDA

View Full Version : Summit Point 12hr updates?

Bill Miller
06-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Anyone have any 'live' updates on how things are going. Gotta be hot as hell down there.

22timber
06-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Here are the results. And, yes, it was hot.
The official results only list the driver who is the entrant. So the only winning team where I can list all drivers is mine :birra:

1st ITE 1st overall Peter Collins
1st SM 4th overall Rich Hromin
1st ITA 6th overall Tony Zelones
1st SSM 7th overall Mark Lapos/Chris Kellett/Dave Wible
1st ITS 19th overall John Weisberg
1st ITB 20th overall James Troxell
1st ITC 42nd overall Jeffry Janoska

Bill Miller
06-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Congrats Mark! Tell Chris I said Hi. He and I were in Driver's School together (had Don Barack for an instructor).

Knestis
06-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Let me be the first to congratulate Team York on their ITB win. They squeaked us by a mere 74 laps, I think. :)

K

JLawton
06-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Let me be the first to congratulate Team York on their ITB win. They squeaked us by a mere 74 laps, I think. :)

K
[/b]

Uh, oh. More car problems?? :( At least I know it was Greg this time.....

Knestis
06-04-2007, 07:18 AM
We had a weird gearbox problem and then a bee-otchy clutch cable after the 'box swap. Preliminary indications are that the clutchpack diff wore out, perhaps rooted in improper break-in by the team owner back when it was first intalled (I think).

K

JeffYoung
06-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Sorry to hear that Kirk. Did you guys finish or did you have to pull out?

Pablo II has been muy reliable up to this point, that stinks about the failure.

Knestis
06-04-2007, 12:03 PM
We lost about 1:40 all told but got back out and ran the last 2+ hours to the checkered.

K

JamesB
06-04-2007, 01:49 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday Kirk. I thought of another possiblity for your whoas that leads you to cracking that open and checking the clutchpack and 4th gear complaints.

Though that big input shaft seal did have a small amount of wear due to not beeing 100% flush seating, I would also check the clutch pushrod seal on the input shaft. That one can also leak, either way I hope you had no major damage to the box.

Oh and just a lesson learend. Working the 12 hour (7 hours total on station.) Followed by instructing 2 students the next day with a 6:30am wake up call leaves you to nearly passing out at 9pm on the way home. I did make it home safe and properly passed out in my bed though.

Conover
06-04-2007, 05:45 PM
The gearbox had over 75% it's oil still in it when I got home and drained it out to measure it last night, the excessive heat came from the differential, I'll post some pictures when I get it apart after the move. The fluid was thoroughly polluted with friction material. In hindsight the clutch was most likely fine, and Phil was probably right that the slipping he was feeling was from the diff.
We were a little surprised by high oil temps at the beginning of the weekend which found me swapping out the thermostat for a cooler unit in an effort to bring those down. I'm now thinking that the engine was acting like a heat sink for all the heat from the tranny. That transmission was hot as hell when I went to remove it in the paddock, so hot I couldn't hold it with gloves on. When we did the swap at VIR I did not have that problem, I was able to yank the box out right off the track without even noticing the heat.
Kirk, I wouldn't think that your backwards break-in had much to do with this. We had that diff apart since then and the friction material was good then, I think that it just reached the end of it's service life, a clutch pack in anything will eventually wear out, any friction material based item brakes, clutch, or even the diff wears the material down and eventually requires replacement.

JamesB
06-05-2007, 09:35 AM
With that much heat even gear oil would get thin enough to seep out the seals. Good luck with the rebuild, I hope to be part of the Conover team for the longest day.

mgyip
06-05-2007, 03:16 PM
6:30am wake up call [/b]

Your wake-up caller wasn't much more cohesive at 1840h on Sunday - I almost fell asleep on the 15 minute drive to drop off my trailer!!!

All this talk is making me wonder if a clutch-type LSD is the be-all/end-all - I'll be curious to hear what is discovered.

JCTrox
06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Uh, oh. More car problems?? :( At least I know it was Greg this time.....
[/b]

JLawton: Why does us beating Knestis have to mean he broke? What are we, chopped turkey sitting in a SM?

Knestis: Thanks! Nelson next...

dickita15
06-05-2007, 04:39 PM
JLawton: Why does us beating Knestis have to mean he broke? What are we, chopped turkey sitting in a SM?

Knestis: Thanks! Nelson next...
[/b]
uh I think because you beat him by 74 laps it was fair to assume Kirk had trouble.

mgyip
06-05-2007, 05:09 PM
What are we, chopped turkey sitting in a SM?
[/b]

Speaking of chopped turkey - I'm surprised that no one had grilled turkey legs for dinner from that team... :023:

22timber
06-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Probably would have had to pick too much glass out of it.

Rick_htm
06-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Really it was the top notch professional crew of the team york entry that made the difference. LOL :happy204: Congrats to eveyrone. 12 hours without a full course caution has to be some kind of record.

JohnRW
06-07-2007, 01:10 AM
12 hours without a full course caution has to be some kind of record.
[/b]

Very first Summit Point 12 Hours ran the whole distance without a FCY.

22timber
06-07-2007, 07:35 AM
I can't say enough good things about Bret DePedro and the entire RP Performance team. They gave us a solid car, and we had fast pitstops all day. We had to change a hub at 10:30 at night and it could have cost us the win. We changed it on pit lane in under 4 minutes which put us back out without giving up the lead. Awesome. And the other RP team car was leading their class when they had a motor problem at 11:35pm. That was heartbreaking. We almost went 2 for 2.

jamsilvia
06-26-2007, 10:51 PM
So has anyone seen any lap charts yet???

I've seen final results, but nothing on mylaps (or something similar) yet.

Thanks!
joe

Gregg
06-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Joe-

This was mentioned at our Competition Committee meeting this past week. Unfortunately, our T&S chief was (and may still be) in France for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA but will be sure to update you all when I know more.

Knestis
06-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Are we still suffering from a "reluctance" to fully embrace MyLaps in WDC? ;)

K

Gregg
06-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Survey says...... :dead_horse:

jamsilvia
07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
I don't want to bring up a "bad" topic - I just want to know when (or maybe *IF*) we will see the SP 12 times on MyLaps.com. It's been a month since I last asked, so I thought I'd ask again!!! :-)

If not mylaps, then some other venue??

thanks!
joe

Gregg
08-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Stand by...sending another email on this.

I would suggest sending an email to our T&S chief, Jeanne Hoffman. It worked wonders for Kirk last year.

http://wdcr-scca.org/email/contacts.php

:wacko:

MMiskoe
08-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow, I didn't make an ass of you & me this time.

Shortly after the race I emailed T&S asking this question. Got an out of office reply and nothing else. Within the last week I sent a similar email to Beth Mills, she referred me to Jeanne Hoffman. This time her response was to bring my flash memory stick w/ me next time I go racing w/ DC Region, they'd give me a copy of the file.

My reply was that the next time I'm planning making that 12 hour, 650 mile trip is for next years race and said I was not alone in wanting to get this stuff posted on a place like Mylaps where people could look at the lap times. I had assumed that others were also still interested and for once I am right.

I'd say keep sending the emails perhaps something will happen. If I knew how to deal with such things I'd offer to help, but there's an expression including mamory glands on male bovines that comes to mind when describing what I can do there.

Matt

Knestis
08-01-2007, 11:13 PM
I got exactly the same result and have sent another email.

K

jjjanos
08-02-2007, 11:22 AM
As a DC Region member and a participant in the 12 Hour, my apologies.

We have an open competition meeting at our next race. The issue will be raised.

Gregg
08-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Guess what's been posted:

http://mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=609092

My apologies to everyone as well.

Knestis
08-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Should we start planning ahead for 2008? :)

Thanks, guys!

Kirk

Gregg
08-08-2007, 03:05 PM
I already have and I'm thinking that this won't be an issue next spring. :emgift: