PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan replacement

Grumpa
05-31-2007, 02:04 PM
Am I legal replacing the OEM cooling fan and shroud with an aftermarket unit?

JeffYoung
05-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Yes. Fans are free.

RacerBill
05-31-2007, 02:41 PM
GCR pg 298 - aftermarket looks good to me. Only restrictions that I see pertain to substitute radiators that might create additional openings.

WillM
06-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I recently changed out my factory fan for an aftermarket. At the time, I wanted to substitute a push fan for the stock pull, as the space between the radiator and the engine is very tight. Considering the rule, I thought it could be considered illegal, as the fan would move to the front of the radiator instead of behind the radiator, which I considered a "relocation". I was able to find a thin pull fan, so it all worked out.

I still wonder, would moving from a push to a pull, and the subsequent required relocation of the fan (from the back to the front of the radiator) be considered legal?

Thanks,

Will

shwah
06-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I wonder why you guys have fans on your race cars at all. At track speed all it does is impede airflow over the radiator. It also is pretty much the worst place on a fwd car to have unnecessary weight - may not apply to you, but it does for me.

Z3_GoCar
06-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Yes. Fans are free.
[/b]

I wonder why you guys have fans on your race cars at all. At track speed all it does is impede airflow over the radiator. It also is pretty much the worst place on a fwd car to have unnecessary weight - may not apply to you, but it does for me.
[/b]

+1

Or free to be removed. It's one more element that can and does fail. Just leave it off.

James

joeg
06-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Why fans?

The car does come off the track after a hot seeion and unless you have unlimited Paddock Speeds, fans are necessary

JLawton
06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Why fans?

The car does come off the track after a hot seeion and unless you have unlimited Paddock Speeds, fans are necessary
[/b]

Or if your stuck in the pits with a black flag all and have a bad starter or battery!! Or sitting on pregrid with 5 minutes to go and it turns into 10!

tom91ita
06-07-2007, 11:21 AM
i thought that was why we can't remove the heaters and hoses? my honda will do fine in the paddock, etc. without a fan.

but since i had to add 150 #'s, it is easier to be lazy and let the OEM fan cycle on and off as needed. the cost/risk of the motor and not having to add more ballast makes the fan worthwhile for me.

i am getting old enough that CRS (Can't Remember something that started with S) disease is starting to set in.

shwah
06-07-2007, 10:54 PM
If I have to cool things down, I crank the defrost on full hot.

I do my best to race with a good battery and starter (although the current one is less than perfect - it's on the list) because you don't always know when / where you need to restart.

My point is - weight in the worst possible place, and airflow restriction covering the radiator outweighs the convenience of being able idle for long periods of time for me. I understand that others might have different experiences or priorities though.

Z3_GoCar
06-08-2007, 01:23 AM
You don't need to be running untill the 2minute mark. A push start is allowed, althought the late model BMW doesn't push start well. The lap after the checker is a cool down lap, the temps in my car always drop after the checkered flag, and I don't know about how large your paddocks are but it usually is close enough that I can get to my pit spot in less than a minute idleing in second gear and I don't have any symbalance of a heater core so I can't turn it on, but I do have the oil cooler from a M3 mounted under my radiator so I've got plenty of cooling with out needing a fan. To paraphrase my father-in-law, "I'd run without a fan if I were you. But, you can do want you want." :D