PDA

View Full Version : New Heater Core Question...

toddgreene
05-28-2007, 05:52 PM
To quote the 2007 GCR page 298:

"9.1.3.D.3. e.
Air conditioning systems may be removed in whole or in part."

"9.1.3.D.3.g.
...Heater core and hoses shall not be removed"

Removed from where?
They obviously can be removed or seperated from the AC system, as the whole AC system can be removed.

Can the core be zip-tied or bolted to the fire wall (either inside the car or in the engine compartment) with the loose hoses dangling?

I don't necessarily intend to stir the pot, but need opinions on how not to "remove" the heater core.

Thanks,

Todd

JimLill
05-28-2007, 05:56 PM
The heater core is separate from the AC evap core. Not sure there much to be gained from moving the heater core from its OEM location and mounting. I'd be curious what the AC evap core weighs. Go to a race that's cool and you may be longing for warm air for the defroster!

ddewhurst
05-29-2007, 09:52 PM
***I don't necessarily intend to stir the pot,***

The best way not to stir the pot is to follow the pretty simple heater rules.

Find me a rule that specs that you may hang the heater core from the firewall.

Removed from where, removed from their OEM locations.

IIRC you may disconnect the heater hoses, plug the inlets/outlets & have no water in the heater core but that's it. The hose & heater core need to stay in their OEM locations UNLESS YOU can find a rule that specs other wise.

YOU don't win races by eliminating heater hoses & the heater core........... :wacko:

toddgreene
05-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks,

Perhaps my original question was not clear...

I understand that the heater core must remain.
However, it is located within the same box that includes the AC core, fan, plenum; etc.

My questions are:
If I remove the AC entire system (which is legal) what can or must be done with the heater core?
Can I attach just the heater core to the mounting bracket for the AC system?

Thanks,

Todd

shwah
05-30-2007, 01:01 PM
I would source a heater box from a non-AC car, and did just that when I started to build my first car - an 84 GTI. Then I switched to my 86 GTI that was already a non-ac example. But of course not everyone has that luxury.

I think in your example you would remove - compressor and associated brackets, lines, condensor, evaporator. The box and fan are shared components of the heat system and ac system so should remain along with the core IMO.

lateapex911
05-30-2007, 01:24 PM
The heater core never hangs in space with no housing. I would source the proper housing, , OR I would remove the AC dedicated parts from within the daul purpose housing, and leave the core and housing as is....and count your blessings that you get to remove all that AC stuff.

But, I have problems when the housing disappears and the core dangles under the dash. Honestly, a few plastic ducts and a plastic box won't keep you from winning, but not having them might....