PDA

View Full Version : NHIS Results

Tkczecheredflag
05-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Okay - Hope all went well, we're waiting for results news. Let it rip.

almracing
05-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I only have a tid-bit from Victor. Sat's ITA race -

1 - Andy Bettencourt (by a wide margin!)
2 - Richard Hunter
3 - Victor Gangi (beat 4th by a hood)
4 - Bogart? Branscom? I forget exactly who...

The results were under protest.

I am on my way down to NHIS now for the PDX.

stevel
05-27-2007, 09:08 PM
I only have a tid-bit from Victor. Sat's ITA race -

1 - Andy Bettencourt (by a wide margin!)
2 - Richard Hunter
3 - Victor Gangi (beat 4th by a hood)
4 - Bogart? Branscom? I forget exactly who...

The results were under protest.

I am on my way down to NHIS now for the PDX.
[/b]

Hunter got bounced for being underweight. Wasn't much, less than 20lbs IIRC. Too bad. So everyone moved up. I believe Bogart was 4th that day.

Sun morning ITA
Bettencourt
Bogart?
Gangi?
Siff?

Sun Afternoon ITA
Bettencourt
Bogart
same as above? Not really sure

Branscomb was in 2nd I believe but was bounced for being underweight also. How much I'm not sure.

Sun morning ITS
Harding

Sun Afternoon ITS
Harding
Maynard

Sun morning SM
Payson
a 99+ white miata?
a 99+ silver miata?
Leverone

Sun afternoon SM
Leverone
99+ white miata?
99+ silver miata?
Payson?

Greg Amy, in a stealth plan, entered Hunter's car for the Sunday Race(s). In about lap 3 in the morning race he hit the curb in 10 so hard it messed up the right front suspension pretty bad and the car was done for the day. Richie (and his car) didn't have a good weekend. Sucks.

It was good to see Victor Gangi out there (in Phil Gott's old Integra). He ran strong all weekend.

That's all I got. It's all off of memory, I did not grab any sheets. I really should have. The morning and afternoon races are all intermingled in my mind.

I do remember a yellow ITB VW golf taking an awesome rally drive over the curb in 12 and getting all 4 wheels off the ground, twice. I don't think he ever lifted off the gas after going over the curb. That was a hoot to see.

ITS had great racing all weekend with the 2 Autotechnic E46's, Harding, Maynard, and a maroon E36 all battling it out quite a bit. Fun races to watch with lots of position changes!

burnt....

steve

Jeremy Billiel
05-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Any other stories?

Andy Bettencourt
05-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Day 1 (http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=212986)

Day 2 (http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=212995)

benspeed
05-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Huge congrats out to Jeff Harding for his first win in the new Mazda - first ITS win?

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!! :023: :023: :023:

Jeremy Billiel
05-28-2007, 06:52 PM
What was the car count for the weekend. The entries look smallish.

Andy - Way to go!! 2 more wins although these appeared on paper to be quite easy...

Tkczecheredflag
05-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Nice going Andy B. - two more W's - sweetness. Great to see Victor G. back in the saddle - how do you like Phil's car?

I heard about Richie H's DQ - What happen to Geoff Branscombe?

Andy Bettencourt
05-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Nice going Andy B. - two more W's - sweetness. Great to see Victor G. back in the saddle - how do you like Phil's car?

I heard about Richie H's DQ - What happen to Geoff Branscombe? [/b]

Thanks. Bogart was running junkyard power, Sheppard had motor issues, Branscome is battling ECU gremlins, Gangi was at his first event in a new car and is the proud new daddy of a 2-week-old baby boy (congrats!), Hunter is all over the board with his ITB car...then there was you, Greg, Joe and Jeff all missing. (Don't get me wrong I would have smoked you all but... :) )

Richie and Geoff were both bounced for weight. Richie on Sat and Geoff on Sunday. Not sure by how much, but I am sure it was unintentional and not by much. Tech was, how shall I say it, 'proactive' this weekend. We got weighed twice, had two 'open hood all's' and they checked gear (including socks - for which I got dinged - was group 1 and just forgot...wore them the rest of the weekend non-stop!) The tech checks pestered some but I liked it. There wasn't one session that I didn't get to bypass impound. As usual, tech officials had fluids ready and waiting for the drivers during the heat.

The ITS races were great to watch. Driscoll, Hendo, Maynard, Harding, Brown, and Gregory were all in the mix while Tisdale dominated ITR.

Billiel - you must have sold your car or something - you ever gonna race? Would have figured you would have been there to see the Greg/Richie shenanagan go kaplooie!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

jimalley
05-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Great weekend Andy. Wish I could have been there for Sundays races :(

biovic
05-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Hi. Yes, it was great to be back in the seat and on track with all you guys, well many of you guys. I appreciated the smallish ITA field for my first outing since my July crash and in a new car (Phil Gotts previous), thanks ! ;)
Tim, the car is good, no issues to speak of. The engine is strong, I'm not used to that power form a built IT engine, I should have done that long ago with my white teg, oh well. I didn't change the suspension around, yet.
As Andy mentioned, my wife had a baby boy 2 weeks ago, it is our first, we are excited. Yes, Cyndie is incredible for letting me go to the track for the entire weekend! However, it was always planned to be an abbreviated season for me, so not sure how many races I'll make this year with the new addition, but it's good to get out there.

Victor
03 ITA

p.s. see my other thread for baby info

JLawton
05-29-2007, 06:48 AM
Congratulations Victor, on both the baby and the race!! Good to see you back.

almracing
05-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Yes, Cyndie is incredible for letting me go to the track for the entire weekend!
[/b]

Now there is an understatement! It takes very understanding spouses to let us play with racecars.

Congrats on the weekend. I was ready to bet the car would be up for sale by July. :P

dickita15
05-29-2007, 09:44 AM
. Yes, Cyndie is incredible for letting me go to the track for the entire weekend! [/b]

I just assumed she did not want to deal with two of you crying all weekend. :D

Congratulations. :023:

RSTPerformance
05-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Hello all...

The ITS was certainly the best of the weekend within the IT ranks. The ITB race was ok, probably more fun to race in as thier were several people chasing each other down, jut not much position swaping. The ITA race was a bit predictable once we were in a few laps, although that was a great finish between Victor and Brandon. ITC... Ah hello, where are the ITC cars???

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend!!! I had a blast and everyone seemed to race safe and clean!!!

Special thanks to Noam for running the PDX event. ALl my students seemed to have a blast, including myself :) Got to say the Cobra replica was fun to drive, even at 5/10ths :)

Raymond

Greg Amy
05-29-2007, 02:07 PM
...been there to see the Greg/Richie shenanagan go kaplooie!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA![/b]
DRATS! Our dastardly subterfuge is foiled yet again!

Richie and I had been talking about getting me in his car for a while: he, to get some setup and tuning advice; me, to see what I think of the car. We agreed to our ruse at LRP the week before: he was going to race Saturday, and I was to show up Sunday morning to run that day. We even had Terry Roberts in cahoots with us, working to keep my name completely out of the picture until the regs required it.

So, after we finished up at LRP Saturday afternoon, Matt Kessler, Joe DiMinno, and I jumped into the rental car of Lee Grimes (Koni Motorsports manager, a close friend of mine) and headed out to NHIS, stopping by the Concord NH Wal-Mart SuperCenter at midnight-thirty to buy 75 pounds of free weights (much to the amusement of a handful of residents of Concord, NH who, for whatever reason, choose to do their grocery shopping on a Saturday night at midnight-thirty at their local Wal-Mart SuperCenter...)

The plan was for me to show up at the track, install the data aq equipment (and weights), and then hide until the first session; jump into the car all dressed but "late to grid", thus being forced to start at the back of the pack for the qualifying race; work my way up as far as reasonably and safely possible while getting used to the car; and then drink in all the surprised expressions in the post-race impound. Hell, I think Crazy Joe even bought a new digital camera just for the occasion! To make matters even more interesting, Richie got DQ'd Saturday for being underweight (9 pounds - for some reason he thought his minimum weight was supposed to be 2580 instead of 2595) so everyone knew he would have to "start at the back of the pack" on Sunday any way.

The plan was really looking to come together well!

Unfortunately, "the best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley". Our ploy worked exceedingly well right up to the middle of the second lap. Before the race, I managed to avoid being spotted by anyone (except for Victor Gangi and shortly afterwards Rob's Dad during an 'emergency' trip to the infield restroom), and we were able to get me reasonably comfortable in the strange-to-me car with judicious use of seat padding and "driver adjustment in the lower harness area", if-you-know-what-I-mean. I got a nice start to the race and found the car surprisingly easy to drive at the 9/10s I was doing with it.

But, coming down the Hill through T9 and turning into T10 using my regular turn-in points I found myself 1-1/2 to 2 feet closer into the T10 apex than I'm used to with the egg. I drove the right-front corner of the Integra right into that sharp apex berm and bottomed out the suspension corner fairly dramatically. I thought at first I had damaged a wheel and/or tire, but the attitude of the car going down the straights - and the smoke from the right front corner in the T1/T2 oval, told us it was something a bit more than that. I brought it in after one more lap.

We were quite surprised to find I had literally shattered the damper: it had bottomed and the end cap was driven into the body of that lightweight ADS aluminum part (maybe 1/16" wall?) and split it back. The replacement shock that Richie had on-hand was not correct for his car, so we were done for the day.

Hey, I can at least tell you with mucho confidencioso that the car turns in REALLY nicely... ;)

There are a lot of little amusing details of the weekend that Crazy Joe can (and no doubt will) help out with, but while it was disappointing and tiring, it was a fun time and we learned a lot in just three simple laps. Hey, at least it's better than sitting around in the backyard drinking beer and swimming in the pool...right...?

We will be trying again some day soon, as we both have goals for this project we'd like to meet. Except now, since I'm buying the repairs, we're bringing it to my buddy Matt Kessler for installation and prep work...be scared, be very scared... :)

But still: DRAT! Drat, drat, drat, drat!

GregA

P.S. All was not lost, though: We saw Andy and Steve later in the morning, and Steve related how after the qualifying results were posted they actually went to T&S to get "Richie's" name corrected, only to find I was a late entry in Richie's car. Oh, to be a fly on the wall... :) Andy's expression was priceless, kinda a combination of confusion, amusement, and maybe even a touch of dread and fear... ;)

Andy Bettencourt
05-29-2007, 02:22 PM
P.S. All was not lost, though: We saw Andy and Steve later in the morning, and Steve related how after the qualifying results were posted they actually went to T&S to get "Richie's" name corrected, only to find I was a late entry in Richie's car. Oh, to be a fly on the wall... :) Andy's expression was priceless, kinda a combination of confusion, amusement, and maybe even a touch of dread and fear... ;) [/b]

Actually, we met the T&S gal while looking at the results. We mentioned to her how it was an 'odd' mistake...Greg's name and hometown but Richie's car number and sponsor...one would have thought it woud have been an all or nothing type of thing. She told us on the spot that it was correct and Greg was a late entry. The confusion and amusement part was right, then downright laughter when we connected the dots and realized it was Greg who sidelined the car and not Richie!

I look forward to Greg getting some meaningful data it will be some great bench-racing info! Maybe Lime Rock in June??? Or July 4th???

dickita15
05-29-2007, 02:42 PM
by the way we ran 24 races over two days without a single full course yellow.

stevel
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
[/b]

I was just thinking this morning how clean all the races were that I saw and there were no yellows and was thinking that I don't remember hearing about any incidents in other groups. That's pretty cool to hear! Some good racing and uneventful in terms of full course yellows. Always good to see.

s

RSTPerformance
05-29-2007, 04:26 PM
I think that the GT1/SPO cars had more contact than the IT cars... But I do have to admit, those GT1/SPO cars put on one hell of a show!!! Since when is that the class with all the competition!!! The starts were friggen awsome!!!

Raymond

itracer
05-29-2007, 06:21 PM
I was just thinking this morning how clean all the races were that I saw and there were no yellows and was thinking that I don't remember hearing about any incidents in other groups. That's pretty cool to hear! Some good racing and uneventful in terms of full course yellows. Always good to see.
[/b]

There were a number of incidents, but they were handled under local yellows as to not impact the racing. The folks on Rapid Response and the flaggers were commended by the Chief Steward for their hard work. I agree. It was a well run weekend. Maybe next year we can extend it to three days of racing?

dpc
05-29-2007, 07:32 PM
somebody asked what was the car count, I added up 162 from mylaps. dave(I could be off a couple)

Tkczecheredflag
05-29-2007, 08:09 PM
[/b]
That's because Crazy Joe and Me stayed away this year. :eclipsee_steering:

Jeremy Billiel
05-29-2007, 08:21 PM
[/b]

Tim - I think you are coming down too hard on yourself! :)

It's really because Crazy Joe wasn't on the track although he was there in spirit!

dominojd
05-30-2007, 03:33 AM
It's really because Crazy Joe wasn't on the track although he was there in spirit!
[/b]

Oh but I was there in mind (I guess somewhat) and body. Just not on the track though. :P

JLawton
05-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Maybe next year we can extend it to three days of racing?
[/b]

DON'T TEASE US JASON!!!!

[/b]

And me!! :023:

benspeed
05-30-2007, 12:28 PM
I think that the GT1/SPO cars had more contact than the IT cars... But I do have to admit, those GT1/SPO cars put on one hell of a show!!! Since when is that the class with all the competition!!! The starts were friggen awsome!!!

Raymond
[/b]

SHIZZLE - looks like NHIS is the big bore competition track. You will see me at the next NHIS double! I haven't made it up to the great North yet this year.