PDA

View Full Version : Drop Down Windows Net

spnkzss
05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
When they changed the rule this year about the window net dropping down instead of up, I had to change. Instead of reinventing the wheel I decided to just change the top to a GM style clip to match the bottom. Now it can drop either way. I don't see any issues with this and as far as I'm concerned it is perfectly legal. Now at the SARRC/MARRS double at VIR I was sitting in impound, I had my net UP. One of the tech inspectors came over and started to give me a hard time and I explained that it goes both ways. He said he didn't care and it HAD to go down. He said that if he saw that again he would not allow me to race. I didn't think much about it at the time and doubt that that will prevent me from racing in the future, but my question is why would he had made a big deal about it anyways (besides boredom). What was the real reasoning behind changing the rule in the first place?

seckerich
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
You can consider this the HANNS rule. Driver restraints can catch on the window net if it is hanging down. Your mounting is legal as long as it will open the required direction. If asked again have them show you where it says it may ONLY drop down. Safety wire the bottom release if necessary. It is still securely mounted.

RacerBill
05-22-2007, 12:50 PM
When they changed the rule this year about the window net dropping down instead of up, I had to change. Instead of reinventing the wheel I decided to just change the top to a GM style clip to match the bottom. Now it can drop either way. I don't see any issues with this and as far as I'm concerned it is perfectly legal. Now at the SARRC/MARRS double at VIR I was sitting in impound, I had my net UP. One of the tech inspectors came over and started to give me a hard time and I explained that it goes both ways. He said he didn't care and it HAD to go down. He said that if he saw that again he would not allow me to race. I didn't think much about it at the time and doubt that that will prevent me from racing in the future, but my question is why would he had made a big deal about it anyways (besides boredom). What was the real reasoning behind changing the rule in the first place?
[/b]

So, you put it up in the paddock, and down at impound!!!!!! It passed annual, didn't it? I'm not going to touch your first question - why. To answer your second question, I don't know 100% for sure, but it is very logical that in the interest of safety, SCCA wants the net to fall down away from the door opening in case you have to exit the car rapidly and not risk the net falling down off the roof and being in the way. Of course, this theory is negated if you got the rubber side up and you REALLY have to get out of the car in a hurry! A second benefit is that the corner workers only have to look in two places for the release instead of four. Shhhhhhhhsh, next we'll have to put net release decals on our cars! Just kidding, I hope! But, seriously - again, I remember the car I went to driver's school in and it had a net that released at the bottom and lay on the roof. Two things - 1) the release was located well below the window sill and you almost had to have the door open to release the net, and 2) my arms were almost too short to flip the net up onto the roof so it would stay there!

When I checked the diagram on page 87 of the GCR, I noticed something that I remember seeing but never paid any attention to. The mounting for the lower net rod does not secure the net in a positive manner, only by by applying tension when the top bar is secured. If that is required, then my net in not legal since you have to remove clips to remove the lower bar from brackets welded to the cage. Hope it's just a suggested method.

Good luck!

seckerich
05-22-2007, 01:24 PM
One other note. Tech is now mandated to check at least 2 items in every class for compliance every weekend. Something that has changed in the rules is a slam dunk to check. He was doing his job, not giving you a hard time. Just disagree with the interpretation if you like and read your book and have the facts to back up your view. :D

spnkzss
05-22-2007, 01:41 PM
One other note. Tech is now mandated to check at least 2 items in every class for compliance every weekend. Something that has changed in the rules is a slam dunk to check. He was doing his job, not giving you a hard time. Just disagree with the interpretation if you like and read your book and have the facts to back up your view. :D
[/b]

I agree the checking 2 items thing is a good idea. I'm really not all that concerned about it because I can not see where I would be illegal. It's just one of those things that I'm coming down off a nice adrenaline rush, someone says I'm not legal, I show them it works the other way too, and he still gave me a hard time. He was just standing around and saw my net up so decided to come over, which is cool. I think it may have been more of the way he brought it up to me at the time and proceeded to be forcful about it after I showed him it was a double disconnect. As a matter of fact I think I removed the whole thing for him and put it in the passenger compartment.

O well. TO each his own. I justed didn't want this to become an issue in the future. My annual tech guy said that it was legal also, I just didn't want him to get in trouble too because I/We missed something.

Thanks

lateapex911
05-22-2007, 03:56 PM
If, after getting him to show the phrasing that backs up his charge, he insists you are wrong, I'd just say (well, THIS time I would, last time I sucked it up in a similar case , LOL) ......"Better write it up so I can get the appeal written and we can get you straightened out.".....

07 GCR: ">...nets shall be equipped with a quick release so when released it shall fall down, thus not having to be flipped up on the roof"