PDA

View Full Version : New Z Motor is in!!!!

Ron Earp
05-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Through a bunch of work with Jeffery, Jeff, myself, and Ed the "new" motor is now in the 260Z. This is a completely stock, unopened Z motor. Stock pan, stock everything except header, carbs that have been worked over, EGT gauges - that is it. It has great oil pressure, better than the old motor, and seems to sound fairly smooth with little valve train noise, in fact, quite quiet.

The EGTs seem to work well and I'll be keeping a close eye on them. Now, how much do you think this motor should be revved? 6200 RPM max?

Ron

http://www.gt40s.com/images/Z/new1.JPG
http://www.gt40s.com/images/Z/new2.JPG

Conover
05-21-2007, 10:32 PM
You could put it on a dyno and find out where the power is, and cross that with a good gear chart and get your answer. Probably would help to tune those carbs a little and dial in your timing on the dyno, instead of guessing.

pfcs49
05-21-2007, 11:08 PM
shift it 100 rpm before it blows up

Joe Harlan
05-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Stock rod bolts ect. OK to 6500 without a thought just be sure and not lean it out.......Good luck its cool your gonna get out right away.

Ron Earp
05-22-2007, 06:22 AM
Wish I could get to a dyno in time, but we'll have to watch and listen.

Cool? What you guys talking about? :( It was 89 yesterday with 86 forecast for the race weekend in Camden. Actually, 86 IS cool for the Memorial Day race weekend here, typically it is 90 or a tiny bit above. Racing down South - you see some heat and heat related issues like puking and seeing folks fall out every now and again.

05-22-2007, 08:19 AM
I ran stock stuff for years with just rings and bearings. If you shift above 6500 you are slowing down. If you haven't freshened it, 6500 would be a wise limit. I look forward to seeing this beast this weekend. I plan on being there Saturday. I'll bring that torque plate if you are still interested.

Mike

Parrish57
05-22-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm pretty sure that the paint job on that motor is worth a couple hundred more RPM!!! But just to be safe I'd follow Joe's advise... Can't wait to see you at the track!

Ron Earp
05-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Mike and Steve,

Look forward to seeing both of you guys at CMP, should be fun!!!

Mike, I didn't get to call you back yet but was planning to this week. If you could bring that torque plate that would be wonderful. We'll probably use it in the next 4-6 weeks and I could UPS it back to you if that is okay. Beer in it for you!

Steve, if you bring those bits for Jeffery I'll be happy to bring them back to him here in NC. Much appreciated, cooler is open and you know where it is! You know, with that nasty greasy motor out of Jeffery's car I couldn't resist painting it up. I really dislike working on dirty stuff, but this car is so old most of it is quite dirty. Still couldn't pass up an opportunity to improve it, even if it is just cosmetic.

R

JeffYoung
05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
actually not too bad a job putting that thing in and out.

Do you guys:

1. Install header and y-pipe on the car out of the engine bay and put it in that way? We found this easiest but wanted opinions on that. The clamps on the exhaust at the y pipe are hard to get on the header in teh car given the location of the left side engine mount. Or so it was for us.

2. You take the radiator out? Seemed like it was easy to do and gave you a bunch more clearance up front.

150 compression across all cylinders on that motor. She should run good if the revs stay down.....

Ron Earp
05-22-2007, 09:45 AM
150 compression across all cylinders on that motor. She should run good if the revs stay down.....
[/b]

Ha! I'll keep this one to about 6300-6500 tops. Don't need another work producing event. Compression is fairly even it seems, although I'm reading the gauge at 6 ft while cranking over the starter button. Seems pretty good though, definitely they are all above 135-140psi, hard to tell where the peak is at doing it that way. I don't know about leak down though, I don't have the tools to do that.

R

jmark
05-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Should be cool to see 6 Z cars on track at once. I'll be there shooting plenty of pics.

pballance
05-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Wish I could be there with you guys and make it 7 :)

FWIW I was seeing 7k on mine last weekend in the banking at the Nashville TT.

Good luck, have fun and be safe!

seckerich
05-22-2007, 03:52 PM
No ganging up on the Mazda's!! :018:

Joe Harlan
05-22-2007, 04:21 PM
So Ron What brand of British paint is that cause it looks like it sticks to oil very well....... :D

JeffYoung
05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Steve, we have a Triumph-Datsun IT Dinosaur sandwhich planned for you my friend. Watch out!

Oh wait, we have to catch you first. Oh wait, we can't do that.

Ok, then I will fart in your general direction!

Sorry we missed the Hillclimb. Had to get the motor in the Z.......

Ron Earp
05-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Steve, we have a Triumph-Datsun IT Dinosaur sandwhich planned for you my friend. Watch out!

Oh wait, we have to catch you first. Oh wait, we can't do that.

Sorry we missed the Hillclimb. Had to get the motor in the Z.......
[/b]

We can squash him when he laps us. If you don't break by then, or I don't hole a piston. Oh well, no plan there.

Joe, you know the British car constructors - always striving for top and employing the very best of WWI technology! Remember, they used lead in the paint back then! :D

R

seckerich
05-23-2007, 01:41 AM
I don't know if I want to play anymore. :P I could bring the Spitfire and slip through as a lost British car. My car is still on stands with no door or fender and a ripped up exhaust. Still don't know if I will even be ready. Too much work and not enough time.

Ron Earp
05-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Whew, that sounds like a lot of work. I sure hope you make it down to the track this weekend.

Be careful with that British car at CMP. They charge about $145 for oiling down the front straight, ask me how I know! :blink:

R

05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Back in my days in the pits and corners at Rd. Atl we would throw a meatball for any British car that wasn't smoking, that way they had some warning that they were low on oil!

What is the definition of a Lucas three position switch?

Dim-Flicker-Off

Mike

pballance
05-24-2007, 01:50 PM
What is the definition of a Lucas three position switch?

Dim-Flicker-Off

Mike
[/b]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, I had forgotten about that one.

How about why don't Lucas electrics work here in the States?

Because it doesn't stay cold and foggy enough!