PDA

View Full Version : clutch opinions 2nd gen

rsx858
05-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Ok so getting a tranny rebuild soon and figure its a good time to replace the stock clutch that iv been running for a while. what have all you guys been using. I want something strong, but not so grabby that i cant drive around the paddock or on the trailer.

Whats the story behind 4 puck vs 6 puck?

discs with spings vs no springs?

do the weight of components play a big part?

also where do i get my hands on the "good 5th gear" for the second gen? what model is it from?

Thanks!

Eagle7
05-21-2007, 05:57 PM
If you decide to go with the unsprung 4-puck, I've got a brand new spare I probably don't need.

Chris Wire
05-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Whats the story behind 4 puck vs 6 puck?

discs with spings vs no springs?

do the weight of components play a big part?

also where do i get my hands on the "good 5th gear" for the second gen? what model is it from?
[/b]

Starting at the top, the 6 puck has more surface area, so depending on the material, should offer more (not necessarily better) grip. The 4 puck should be lighter, but the difference in weight, and certainly in measurbable performance, is likely negligible. Besides, the weight is concentrated only a few inched from the input shaft centerline, which makes the difference in polar moments virtually unimportant.

The big difference I feel is the springs/no springs setup. Think of the unsprung disc as an on/off switch. They usually behave as if they're engaged or disengaged, with little in between. I prefer the sprung unit, which may weigh slightly more, but doesn't "chatter" the driveline every time you engage it. On the track, I doubt you could tell the difference.

The "good 5th gear" you refer to is OE on the GTUs model and can be obtained from Mazda Motorsports. It makes the ratio .756 vs. the standard ratio which is around .71 IIRC. Since the rest of the gearbox is identical between GTUs and non-, the changeover is easy.

Eagle7
05-21-2007, 09:13 PM
The "good 5th gear" you refer to is OE on the GTUs model and can be obtained from Mazda Motorsports. It makes the ratio .756 vs. the standard ratio which is around .71 IIRC. Since the rest of the gearbox is identical between GTUs and non-, the changeover is easy.
[/b]

Do you know if this gear is compatible with the S4 transmission? I was surprised to see how much difference there is between the S4 and the S5.

mbuskuhl
05-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I was surprised to see how much difference there is between the S4 and the S5 (transmissions).
[/b]

Please elaborate, I don't understand what difference you are referring to. They are supposed to be interchangeable to my knowledge with the same gearing (except 5th).

Sorry, I don't have any clutch experience. That's one thing I have not touched, my car came with a brand new Bonez comp/street clutch, it works fine for me and that's about all I can say. I did recently have the tranny rebuilt though.

Here is some good reading on trannys ....

http://www.mazdatrix.com/g1.htm

Eagle7
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Please elaborate, I don't understand what difference you are referring to. They are supposed to be interchangeable to my knowledge with the same gearing (except 5th).[/b]

All my transmissions are S4, but I got an S5 that needed some repair (new shifter housing and new extension housing). The extension housings are not interchangable, because the S5 has something on the output shaft that interferes with the S4 housing. That made me wonder about gear interchangability.

P.S. Sorry for the thread hijack.

seckerich
05-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Internals are the same so the gear works in both. Most differences are in the mounts and shifter assembly.