PDA

View Full Version : Tire wear

RX MAD
05-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I wanted to know on the average how long a set of new tires will last running once a month

RX MAD
05-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I know that there a lot of variables but on the average.

CaptainWho
05-21-2007, 10:30 PM
The first really big variable is, which tire? For example, the Toyos are said to last longer than the Hoosiers, but they are also said never to be as fast as the Hoosier. I don't know if that's universally true, or only true sometimes, but it seems to fit our experiences. I run at the back and my brother runs a lot closer to the front (of our class), so our tire consumption might not be typical. The Toyos seem to last a lot longer to us, but it's the spec tire for the class, too. We could run ITA instead of IT7 if we really got the hots to run the Hoosiers, but the Toyos are cheaper for us.

Gary L
05-22-2007, 07:37 AM
I wanted to know on the average how long a set of new tires will last running once a month [/b] I would expect that a new set of Toyo's would last several racing days (1 to 1.25 hours on track) at Hallett. Running Sundays only, I'd guess you're probably talking the better part of an 8 race COMMA season. Hoosiers, not so much... but they're prolly a second or so quicker per lap, new tire vs new tire.

Consensus seems to indicate the Toyo's are more consistent over the course of the tread life, apparently being nearly as fast at the end of the tread life as they were when new. The Hoosiers get slower faster :blink: , with most users saying the fastest laps are used up after 6 or 8 heat cycles, regardless of tread depth remaining. The good news here? This means there are usually some pretty decent used Hoosiers available, discarded early by racers that just can't stand to go a little slower on that last half (or so) of the tread depth. For COMMA weekends, I've never run anything but used Hoosiers on the Volvo.

RX MAD
05-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks guy, I know I ask a lot of questions but I do appreciate the help. :eclipsee_steering:

Gary L
05-22-2007, 08:11 AM
If you find yourself at Hallett this weekend, come by the raceport and we can chew the fat... we'll be there Sunday with the Blue Brick.

bldn10
05-22-2007, 10:31 AM
"If you find yourself at Hallett this weekend, come by the raceport and we can chew the fat... we'll be there Sunday with the Blue Brick."

Hey, why don't you guys come over to Memphis instead and actually race?

Gary L
05-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey, why don't you guys come over to Memphis instead and actually race?
[/b] Well, that's pretty darned simple; 96 mile one-way tow, versus 460 mile one-way tow. :D

And BTW, not to worry, I'll work up a sweat or two at Hallett. There will be some 'real' racing, if for no other reason than because of the COMMA class structure; we run against cars that are higher up the ladder in the SCCA IT scheme of things. All very laid back though, and certainly big bang for the entry fee buck... works out to just about a hundred dollars per hour of track time.

Having said all that, were it not for the fact that I have other (non-racing :( ) obligations in Oklahoma on Saturday, I would have seriously considered doing the Memphis weekend, if for nothing else than to possibly pick up some IT Tour points. And it looks like you guys are in serious need of some ITB entries, if the earlier IT race this year was any indication!

RX MAD
05-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Thats the plan

lateapex911
05-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Quck note;

tire life is often expressed in "heat cycles", which means how many times can the tire be heated and cooled before it "goes off" Rarely in SCCA club racing, do we actully wear thru the tread compound. It happens, but not often. Enduros obviously are a different story.

Hoosiers will give good performance for as many as 7 -12 heat cycles, depending on care.
Toyos will double or triple that. Hoosiers are more expensive, and for most drivers, will turn faster laps..until they "fall off" after too many heat cycles.

Those numbers are approximations, and many factors get in the mix, but that should give you an idea.

A heat cycle can be a 5 lap session, or a 40 lap session. Also, the first heat cycle is the most important. Retailers like Phils Tires and Appalachian tires have been very helpful to me when it comes to explaining the variables and expectations that go with a tire choice.

jlinfert
05-22-2007, 04:33 PM
I run Hoosier R6's and get fantastic wear out of them. We built my car last summer and it has been to 3 driver schools (10hours) 2 regionals and an enduro with 6 tires and all but 1 are still very usable. I did manage to mostly wear out 1 tire at the double school at roebling roads in feb but it would work as an acceptable rear tire . They are so good in fact that I will be running a double weekend with them in 2 weeks.

Jeff Linfert
CFR # 77 ITC Scirroco

dickita15
05-22-2007, 05:39 PM
I run Hoosier R6's and get fantastic wear out of them. We built my car last summer and it has been to 3 driver schools (10hours) 2 regionals and an enduro with 6 tires and all but 1 are still very usable. I did manage to mostly wear out 1 tire at the double school at roebling roads in feb but it would work as an acceptable rear tire . They are so good in fact that I will be running a double weekend with them in 2 weeks.
Jeff Linfert
CFR # 77 ITC Scirroco
[/b]
Will all due respect I would bet if you bought some new tires you would be amazed at how much faster they are. My guess is as the tires slowed you got better.

jlinfert
05-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Will all due respect I would bet if you bought some new tires you would be amazed at how much faster they are. My guess is as the tires slowed you got better.
[/b]
Actually we set a new lap record 30 minutes into the enduro. Yes new tires would be faster, I know, but you would be AMAZED at how long Hoosier R6's last (and stay fast) on a 2000lb car.

Gary L
05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Actually we set a new lap record 30 minutes into the enduro.[/b]Getting way off subject here, but I'm curious... did CFR (or whoever) allow the lap record to become official, despite the fact that it was done at an enduro? I'm only asking because there was some discussion on this very situation a week or so ago, in another thread here in the IT forum.

itb76
06-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Retailers like Phils Tires and Appalachian tires have been very helpful to me when it comes to explaining the variables and expectations that go with a tire choice.
[/b]
I'll second that, Phil has been very helpful to me. Give him a call.

The Hoosier R5s disappointed me with their durability. I corded two tires on the right side; however I was running too much negative camber on the RF so that didn't help. I never tried the R6's, but since I had clearance problems with the R5s I decided to run Hankooks this year. We'll see how long they last. They don't seem quite as quick, but very consistent over the length of a race.