PDA

View Full Version : diesel power programmers?

Conover
05-21-2007, 07:55 AM
I think I'll go get the test flash before the haul up to summit for the 12 hour. we'll see how it does for that. I was just wondering if anyone had any luck, or if anyone had any horror stories. I'm looking to get a little more juice when towing, and maybe some firmer shifts, and maybe even a little better milage, is that possible?

What do you guys think?
I've only really heard of Bully Dog, I know there are several, Banks maybe, whatcha Know?

mrjones2
05-21-2007, 08:36 AM
My chassis dyno came with a diablosport chip burner & a few predator programmers. One happened to fit my '04 excursion diesel & I tried it out. Just on the basic 65 HP tune, it really made a difference. Everything from tip in to mileage has improved.

I read after the fact that 6.0L guys dont like this one, but it works for me. They have a towing program that I havent tried out yet (I havent towed at all this year), but will soon.

If anyone is looking for a 04-05 Duramax programmer, let me know ;)

Kendall

Jeremy Billiel
05-21-2007, 08:40 AM
I think I'll go get the test flash before the haul up to summit for the 12 hour. we'll see how it does for that. I was just wondering if anyone had any luck, or if anyone had any horror stories. I'm looking to get a little more juice when towing, and maybe some firmer shifts, and maybe even a little better milage, is that possible?

What do you guys think?
I've only really heard of Bully Dog, I know there are several, Banks maybe, whatcha Know?
[/b]

Cameron - You must be VERY careful with the 6.0L's and programmers. I hear many horror stories. The basic issue surrounds head bolts, which usually stretch and the heads pull of the block with the programmers. FORD is tired of paying the bills to fix all of these and if they even suspect that the truck has been chipped the warranty is being voided.

Check out the Diesel Stop for all the information you will ever want to know.

SCT is the best tuner IMO opinion based on my readings over the last year.

mlytle
05-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Cameron - You must be VERY careful with the 6.0L's and programmers. I hear many horror stories. The basic issue surrounds head bolts, which usually stretch and the heads pull of the block with the programmers. FORD is tired of paying the bills to fix all of these and if they even suspect that the truck has been chipped the warranty is being voided.

Check out the Diesel Stop for all the information you will ever want to know.

SCT is the best tuner IMO opinion based on my readings over the last year.
[/b]

yup, but the issues with tuners and 6.o's seems to be limited to folks who run the 100+hp race tunes.

yup, ford nix's the warranttee if they find it has been chipped/tuned or a fuel module added. basically ya gotta live with stock until the warranttee is up or accept the high diesel repair bills will be out of your own wallet.

www.fordtrucks.com is the place to check out for info.

yup sct is the way to go....if you must.

Conover
05-22-2007, 08:32 AM
OK, It's a 7.3L. But hey do the SCT cats have their own website?

tom91ita
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM
i have taken the advice/comments of someone else on one of these boards.

why would you want to essentially hot rod your tow vehicle? having problems with that on a long tow home after a race weekend is the last thing i want. i drive 59 mph in the 55 zones and 63 in the 65-70's unless i am in a rush home before the storage lot closes.

i seem to recall that some of the milder 7.3 ford tunes mimic what the engine has for certain commercial applications and that might not seem too bad but i will accept longevity and reliability as tradeoffs for not chipping my 1999 205,000 mile 7.3 F350 DRW.

besides, there are other things i want more:

HANS
DL-1, etc.
Hondata ECU
Scales
Tires
Seat Time
Seat Time
ARRC Tow fund
ARRC Tow fund back home

but to each their own. good luck with whatever you do.

mlytle
05-22-2007, 10:35 PM
OK, It's a 7.3L. But hey do the SCT cats have their own website?
[/b]
https://www.shop.lidiesel.com/displayProduc...&categoryId=142 (https://www.shop.lidiesel.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=217&categoryId=142)

RacerBowie
05-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Tom,

We are primarily concerned with improved mileage, better shifts, and a little bit better power to hold speed on the hills. Towing a 52' gooseneck is a lot to ask of these trucks, even with the big diesel.

Making the truck "fast" (less slow would probably be more like it) would just be a bonus!

tom91ita
05-23-2007, 07:59 AM
i guess i have been in ITB/H5 too long. maybe my truck just seems fast enough compared to my car.

like i said, the tunes that mimic some of the set-ups used in commercial applications/uses may be acceptable but i am towing in the midwest with mostly flat areas.

if i was towing out east or in the real mountains out west, i would likely feel differently.

DoubleXL240Z
05-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Try: www.sctflash.com
I have had a programmer on my 7.3l for all but 750 miles, now 88,000 miles with no problems whatsoever.
Can't beat the difference in power and economy. Picked up abour 2-3 mpg. About 19 on the highway, a 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4, not to bad.
These will have no reliability issues. If you need service, download the program and return to stock, about 4-5 minutes, and done!! Reload when you get it back!!

mlytle
05-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Try: www.sctflash.com
I have had a programmer on my 7.3l for all but 750 miles, now 88,000 miles with no problems whatsoever.
Can't beat the difference in power and economy. Picked up abour 2-3 mpg. About 19 on the highway, a 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4, not to bad.
These will have no reliability issues. If you need service, download the program and return to stock, about 4-5 minutes, and done!! Reload when you get it back!!
[/b]

except when you flash it and return to stock it evidently leaves a bit marked in the ecu which tells the ford techs it has been screwed with. if the dealer enters it in the service record, bye-bye warranttee. if, of course, you are still in the warranttee period.

tdw6974
05-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Hmmm this looks like a Ford Discussion. I ordered a Diablo predator for our 2005 Dodge to try when towing. seems a bit better economy is a side benefit (snake oil???) Diesel Hit 2.97/9 here regular is 3.14 Not as bad as the Exxon just off rt 80 at Pocono they were charging .34 more per gallon than in town (BASTARDS :mad1: can we say that) T W :eclipsee_steering:

CRXsi
05-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Quadzilla products are hard to beat and his customer service is second to none! Check out

Quadzilla Diesel Performance (http://www.quadzillapower.com/products/1999.html)

Conover
05-23-2007, 10:59 PM
that quadzilla thing has a whole wiring harness to install ,is that typical of these types of products?

mlytle
05-23-2007, 11:44 PM
that quadzilla thing has a whole wiring harness to install ,is that typical of these types of products?
[/b]
two ways to screw with a diesel ecu

-programmer - actually reflashed the maps in the computer (eg: sct) plug it in the odb port, flash and remove.

-other(fueler) - these plug into a bunch of different harness and intercept the stock sensor inputs to the computer. they "fool" the ecu into doing stuff it wasn't programmed to do by changing the sensor inputs. some of them also just increase fuel pressure to the injectors. any of the systems that you can change on the fly fall in this category as you can't reflash the ecu while driving.

with any perf upgrade to a diesel, you need to add an egt guage. power increases mean more fuel burn which means higher egt's...which can burn up turbos.

hmmm, some of this sounds like the "ecu's in IT" debate....;)

tom91ita
05-24-2007, 08:11 AM
for us in west michigan right now, diesel is about 2.80 and regular unl is 3.60

just filled up my crx hf and got 53 mpg (mostly all highway)

racer_tim
05-26-2007, 12:29 AM
I got a Superchips for my 1998.5 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel and love it. 3 different settings. Stock, towing, and "regular". It also has the ability to program the computer if you add larger diameter tires.

I didn't notice any real increase in mileage, but I can smoke the rear wheels when ever I want. That's in "regular" mode.

www.superchips.com

In "towing" mode, when I came back down from Portland to the SF Bay Area, after the Rose Cup National in 2003, with 8 tires on the rack, race car (VW Wabbit) with a full compliment of tools, spares, etc. etc. I got 17 mpg. Keep in mind, that this is going down the map, and was talking it easy at around 65 mph.

We all know that you get better mileage going "down the map" than "up the map" :D

mowog
05-30-2007, 08:34 PM
It would be worth a look at the Wester's tune. I'd recommend talking to Brian at http://www.exatorq.com/. There is a 30 day money back guarantee, and he's very easy to work with.

Conover
05-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I think I'd rather do a flash than a piggy back, on the fly adjustability might be nice, but, I've never been a big fan of trying to "fool" the computer.
It was all I could do today to finish the last street car, go fill the N2 tank, load the trailer and point the truck out the driveway, so no test flash for this run. I'm whooped, so I'm turning in now.