PDA

View Full Version : Whats it take to build a competetive ITA Integra?

iambhooper
05-20-2007, 08:40 PM
There were a good number of Integras at the SARRC/MARRS last weekend, and I was very impressed with their speed and manuverability. ITC has been a great learning experience, but its time for me to look at one of the bigger classes... thus the interest in the Integra as a possible build project for 2008.

I have some questions, and no I dont expect answers to all of them :D

Which model is considered the best? Engine, tranny options... what would I need to look for in a donor?

What about go fast goodies? What final drive is available? I've seen several LSD's in the $250-500 range.

Is there a prefered suspension set up to look for? Progressive Tech vs Ground Control vs ebay coil overs?

Didi I miss anything?

I realize how well you do in racing is all relative to how much you spend, but I'm looking for a good starting point to build from.

Thanks!
hoop

JeffYoung
05-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Mark Whight has two shells and his building an Integra for ITA. He's out in Bahama, fairly close to you. E-mail me and I'll give you his e-mail address. He's done a lot of teh background research and has faced the questions you are looking at now.

Tkczecheredflag
05-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Hoop - I ran in "C" competively for a few years. I also wanted to step up to "A" and decided to purchase a prepared TEG. The car listed below can be built for about $24,000.00 - We purchased for a bit less than that. Ran last year grabbed a 2nd and a few 3rds. We won two races this year but are still a little off the pace from the front runners. Still learning the car but it is a blast to drive. Thought I would post the classified - FYI - Not sure if it helps.

1995 Acura Integra ITA #34 , fully sorted and developed, new 2006 Meccanic Shop motor with dyno time only,4.7 final drive with lsd,oil cooler with remote filter,accusump,fluidyne aluminum radiator,mugen header & stainless exhaust,double adjustable custom valved shocks,fresh bushings,bearings hubs,tie rods,adjustable rear sway bar,many new parts pro built,custom multi point cage,sparco seat & steering wheel,fire system,custom brake ducts & air dam with quick dzus removal system,ready to go and win today,don't waste time building, drive now.Car located in NY

R2 Racing
05-20-2007, 11:04 PM
If it's a DA Integra ('90-93) you're looking at, you'll want to find a '92-93 RS donor car. Power nothing, no sunroof, OBD-1, and the right cams.

bonespec
05-21-2007, 03:27 AM
OBX LSD if your cheap, Quaife if you can afford it.

iambhooper
05-21-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm looking at the 90-93 chassis. I cant afford the TEG, $24 G's is too much right now. I do realize it's cheaper to buy than build, but I think I want to build the 3rd car.

Quaife would be nice, but I'm cheap. The OBX LSD is in the $400 range vs $1000 for quaife. From what I can tell, the final drive is much cheaper for these cars than my CRX... $600ish vs $1500ish!

Jeff, send me Marks email. I'll be in Roxboro at some point over the next 2 weeks, so maybe I can take a look at what he has going.

hoop

Limey
05-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Hoop, I'm the guy with two integras. Project is on back burner for the immediate future, as just finished repairing Jeff's and my Spec miata , which incidently, is up for sale. Then need to install IT-prepped motor back in my old civic hatch and do two races to keep my license (too many business trips this year). Then I will be concentrating on the integra. Mine are 91's, however, there may be slight gains with the OBD1 cars (92,93). However, it really is a wash as you can update/backdate. My plan is to (probably) run with the OBD0, see what I can get out of that, and then go from there. Unless of course, I find a deal on a OBD1 engine/ECU/distributor etc........

Here's some discussion about integras, it starts off talking about civics then goes on to integras. There are plently of resources in there....Kevin Ruck, Zracre....etc

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...pic=10922&st=20 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10922&st=20)

Cheers, Mark

Knestis
05-21-2007, 12:50 PM
... at which point Hoop "rents" his C car to Limey to do his license races, for the price of a bunch of the stuff in his garage.

And everyone lived happily ever after. :)

K

iambhooper
05-21-2007, 03:51 PM
... at which point Hoop "rents" his C car to Limey to do his license races, for the price of a bunch of the stuff in his garage.

And everyone lived happily ever after. :)

K
[/b]

:023: Damn Kirk, what a wonderfull idea!

Limey, when's your license expire?

hoop

Limey
05-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Nice thought Kirk......and it would please my wife no end to get rid of a stack of junk I have in and around my property!

License expiry next May, but haven't managed to get on track this year AT ALL!

Think I can squeeze in two races to keep my license, but one may have to be the 13 hour @VIR.....not too overjoyed at the thought of going back to skool.........

Q. If I did a race in the UK, would that count towards the towards one of the two required??

Cheers,

Mark

zracre
05-22-2007, 10:59 AM
The 2 most expensive parts for a basic competitive racer are the care and the cage...get a basic coil over kit with Koni Yellow struts 650/700# springs a big fat rear bar an ebay header/intake new clutch and fab up an exhaust...add safety equipment wheels/tires/brake pads/lines and go racing. Start with the cleanest 92-93 you can find. I raced with the stock gear stock ECU, stock un-opened motor(do lots of valve adjustments to keep it fresh) and no LSD for the first season and the car was fast.

R2 Racing
05-22-2007, 03:04 PM
...and the car was fast.
[/b]
Use that term loosely, Evan. The last thing we need is a letter to show up in Fast Tracks next month:

"Dear CRB,
I request that the ITA Integra be moved to ITS. It is "fast" with an unopened engine, a stock gearbox, a stock ECU, and no LSD. The guys racing them even said so!

Sincerely,
Some Slow Guy"

:P

lateapex911
05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
kevin thanks for the letter copy. I'll log that in as letter 07-146, LOL

Limey, why not call your div lic guy? If he knows you, he might be fine granting a renewal with no schools. It's on a case by case basis, but there IS some flexibility in the system. (And yes, other racing experience can count..it's somewhat flexible)

Now, thats no guarantee, if he's not feeling good about your experience level, or your history, all bets are off. It's a possibility though.

dickita15
05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
"Dear CRB,
I request that the ITA Integra be moved to ITS. It is "fast" with an unopened engine, a stock gearbox, a stock ECU, and no LSD. The guys racing them even said so!

Sincerely,
Some Slow Guy"
[/b]
thanks, you saved me the time to compose the letter. :D

zracre
05-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Ok so it was fast compared to an ITC car :P

R2 Racing
05-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Aaahhhh, I owned myself! :P

When I wrote that, I was seriously considering signing it "Jake Gulick, ITA RX-7" instead of "Some Slow Guy". I figured that wasn't nice though, and I've been trying to turn over a new leaf. :birra:

iambhooper
05-22-2007, 05:54 PM
The 2 most expensive parts for a basic competitive racer are the care and the cage...get a basic coil over kit with Koni Yellow struts 650/700# springs a big fat rear bar an ebay header/intake new clutch and fab up an exhaust...add safety equipment wheels/tires/brake pads/lines and go racing. Start with the cleanest 92-93 you can find. I raced with the stock gear stock ECU, stock un-opened motor(do lots of valve adjustments to keep it fresh) and no LSD for the first season and the car was fast.
[/b]

thats pretty much the approach we took with the ITC ride. granted, i purched it with a cage, seat and safety equipment in it, but 1 blown motor later it now has a .040 block.

compared to the CRX, i'm impressed at how cheap most of the stuff is. i could probably build one for around $5K or so.

spring ratio's... 650 front, 700 rear, then? which bar is the prefered rear bar? what pads seem to work best? this car will likely wind up an short enduro racer (ECR's).

Thanks!
hoop

btw, in ITC most things are fast... except the car your in :eclipsee_steering:

JeffYoung
05-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Hoop, you guys are fast in the corners........

Mark (Limey), Division Licensing is Pete Krause. Call him; see if he will cut you a break. You did pay him to build your cage after all.....

zracre
05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
[quote]

spring ratio's... 650 front, 700 rear, then? which bar is the prefered rear bar? what pads seem to work best? this car will likely wind up an short enduro racer (ECR's).

Thanks!
hoop

that is correct...from what I gathered the Koni Yellows don't like much more spring rate than that unless you revalve them (I didn't) I used the Suspension Technique bar in the rear and left the stock front one there. The car is a little soft but can hang with the best of them and as a plus it is awesome in the rain. Oh and Hawk blue in front with stock cheapies in the rear...

R2 Racing
05-22-2007, 11:31 PM
spring ratio's... 650 front, 700 rear, then? which bar is the prefered rear bar? what pads seem to work best?[/b]
Prized information, my friend. ;)

Hmm, so much for that trying to be nicer thing. :P

iambhooper
05-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Prized information, my friend. ;)
Hmm, so much for that trying to be nicer thing. :P
[/b]
Yes, I know... therefore my coment about pushing the envelope. It never hurts to ask. I don't expect all the secrets, just enough help so I go out there and don't get myself killed by the backmarkers (of which I will be one until I can afford a motor rebuild and tranny goodies).

Just the basics, thats all. I'm very appreciative for any help. Of course, if the '99 Miata really does come to ITA, then this may all be a waisted effort and I probably should be looking at ITB!

Thanks!
hoop

Knestis
05-23-2007, 06:55 AM
There are some good ITB Honda options now, Hoop. I know the A guys get all the chicks but...

K

Limey
05-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Jake, thanks for the info. I do know the NCR licensing chair, the one and only Peter Krause. I will discuss with him, should it get to that stage.

However, I *should* be able to make at least the CCPS race at VIR the weekend of 12 Aug. and then just need to find one other.....maybe someone will give me a ride for the VIR 13 hour...??!!?

Rick Thompson...can you hear me????!!

:birra: Mark

iambhooper
05-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Jake, thanks for the info. I do know the NCR licensing chair, the one and only Peter Krause. I will discuss with him, should it get to that stage.

However, I *should* be able to make at least the CCPS race at VIR the weekend of 12 Aug. and then just need to find one other.....maybe someone will give me a ride for the VIR 13 hour...??!!?

Rick Thompson...can you hear me????!!

:birra: Mark
[/b]

And you know... I do believe my car is currently available that weekend... for the Double CCPS at VIR ;)