PDA

View Full Version : Lime Rock Update?

Jeremy Billiel
05-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Anyone got word from LRP today? It rained all day in Hartford so I assume it was a rainy qualifying day.

How many cars showed up?

anthony1k
05-18-2007, 07:32 PM
A couple of groups were combined so we ended up with 6 groups. It rained heavily before 9:00 am but it stopped before the first group (Big Bore) went out. There was no more rain and the track was dry for the rest of the day. It looked like everyone behaved and there were no major incidents.

The field looked pretty thin. My guess is 120 cars tops. Jack Haniffan mentioned at the drivers' meeting that the region expects to loose about $30K.

Tkczecheredflag
05-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Dry all day. Combined SSM, ITC and ITA - we were down to 6 run groups - another group was also comnbined. Hot shoe of the day Paul N. - amazing for 82

ITA Morning Qual
Andy B 102.9
Richie H 103.4
Tim K 103.6

ITA Afternoon Qual
Andy B 101.7
Richie 102.6
Tim K 103.3

That's the way I remember it - I do not have the sheets to refer to.

Ditto on the car count and region $ loss

RSTPerformance
05-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Dry all day. Combined SSM, ITC and ITA - we were down to 6 run groups - another group was also comnbined. Hot shoe of the day Paul N. - amazing for 82

ITA Morning Qual
Andy B 102.9
Richie H 103.4
Tim K 103.6

ITA Afternoon Qual
Andy B 101.7
Richie 102.6
Tim K 103.3

That's the way I remember it - I do not have the sheets to refer to.

Ditto on the car count and region $ loss
[/b]

How many people did the Hot shoe drive off the track or hit??? lol He seems to have that "pro-racing" attitude at club races. I am impressed and would love to still be racing at 82!

ANYWAY;

Any results for the other classes?

Raymond

Greg Amy
05-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Race 1, Group 3 Results:

ITS
Wilson Wright, overall, 1:14.054
Rob Driscoll, 1:14.157
Jeff Henderson, 1:13.739

ITB
Erik Langelius, 1:18.513
Nat Wentworth, 1:19.665
Richie Hunter, 1:20.055

ITR
Ed Tisdale, 1:17.725

Skies were dry early in the AM, but right before the start it was misty. At the "one" the mist was getting heavy; not RAIN, but heavy mist. Track had no standing water, but was slick as all snot.

It took some survival to win this race; at some point it appears that half the cars were off the track. Some damage, minor to major. Ugly enough time to where many spectators were glad to be spectators...

Group 4 results - and report imminent...but what a great race that one was...

RSTPerformance
05-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks Greg-

Erik Langelius, 1:18.513 Who???

and what car was Hunter in???

Way to go Nat!!! How was the Volvo as compaired to the Saab in the slippery Lime Rock weather?

Raymond

Greg Amy
05-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Race 1, Group 4 Results

ITA
Tim Klvana, 1:09.066
Joe DiMinno, 1:08.901
Andy Bettencourt, 1:08.142
Richie Hunter, 1:08.706

ITC
Al Smith, 1:18.993

The results don't tell the story. That ITA race was a HELL of a BARNBURNER. These four guys were nose-to-tail, hammer-and-tong for 20 laps.

This group started as the mist from the prior group was just letting up. But, everyone saw how much Group 4 was sliding around and track was still wet, so all the front runners started on wet tires. As the group pulled out of grid, the mist started letting up, but the track was still wet and slick.

The green came early and the race was on! The SSM of Steve Gorriaran pulled away from Andy and walked the field, never to be a factor. Tim Klvana pulled an early lead, with Bettencourt chasing, Diminno surging forward, and Richie Hunter picking his way through the mixed-in SSMs. By 1/3 of the way it was "every man for himself" as positions were gained and lost, advantages won and given away.

Halfway through, the mist had let up and the track was developing a distinct dry line, but none of the leaders appeared interested in conserving tires. Tim stayed in front of the field and controlled the pace for the entire race, but DiMinno did manage to get by and lead a couple of corners at one point before Tim took back control. Bettencourt tried to pick his way through the crowd but always seemed to get balked by either an SSM or his competition. Hunter made a hell of a charge up to Klvana, but couldn't make it stick, and a couple of minor errors cost him the run.

By the start of the last lap, it was anybody's game. As the cars disappeared around No Name, everyone's attention turned to the Downhill, waiting for the fireworks. In the end, it was Klvana/DiMinno/Bettencourt/Hunter coming down the hill to take the checker in close formation, and you could have thrown the proverbial wet blanket and covered all four of them.

In impound, the four cars were smoking from the brakes, rain tires, and helmets, with big smiles and backslaps all around. It was a unanimous consensus from the crowd and the drivers that this was one of the best ITA races in a long time.

Even better, they get to do it again this afternoon... - GA

Jeremy Billiel
05-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Wow! I should have gone... Dang it!

RSTPerformance
05-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Greg your not racing??? How come?

Raymond

Greg Amy
05-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Race 2

Another pair of deusy races...if you weren't here, you missed out. Still cold, but the track was dry for the afternoon races.

ITS was a battle-fest. Henderson, Harding, Maynard, and Wright went after each other, Wright leading initially, swapping places lap after lap. You just had no idea who was going to come out from the Downhill in front. Henderson was quoted as saying "I was first, I was third, I was second, I was third...uh, I won <shrug>". Jeff Harding was desperate to not be denied: despite making a few mistakes and getting left behind a couple of times, he always seemed to make up the deficit quickly to again figuratively beat on the leader&#39;s bumper.

In the end, it was a battle of who made the least mistakes, and the car to come out on top at the checker was Jeff Henderson.

ITS
Jeff Henderson, 1:02.3
Jeff Harding, 1:01.2
Wilson Wright, 1:02.5
Mark Gregory, 1:02.3
Robert Driscoll, 1:01.8

ITA was fun, but less of a fight. Richie Hunter pulled out an early lead, stuffing the SSM of Gorrarian between himself and second-place Andy Bettencourt. Unfortunately, after a few laps of this Richie found himself crossed up in the left-hander and off to the side of the track (he *almost* saved it); Bettencourt and Klvana slipped by. Andy soon dispatched Gorrarian to lead overall, and quickly opened up a significant gap (as large as nearly 25 seconds at the halfway point). Richie gathered up his motivation and tracked down and passed Tim; Andy finished 20 seconds in advance, with Hunter, and Klvana in arrears.

An interesting surprise of the weekend was fourth place Christian Chandler in the E36 BMW 318, with a best lap of 1:03.754; could we be looking at a new future ITA challenger...?

In impound, as Tim is removing his helmet, he yells out, "What&#39;s going on with my front end?" We look over and see on the left front wheel one broken-off wheel stud, one tight lug nut, and two finger-loose nuts...

ITA
Andy Bettencourt, 1:01.956
Richie Hunter, 1:02.625
Tim Klvana, 1:03.080
Christian Chandler, 1:03.754
Joe DiMinno, 1:04.793

lateapex911
05-19-2007, 06:53 PM
That ITS race was w-i-l-d! Jeff Harding has gottten the handle of Nicks old RX-7 and repeatedly knocked on the door for the wins...but twice he went for the pass for the lead going into Big bend, and spun. The first time, he threaded the stream of cars missing everyone, and rejoined 15 seconds back, and worked his way back to 2nd.....then he attempted the same move, this time on Maynard, and again, spun...but his luck didn&#39;t hold, and he put his rear bumper into Maynards pass door. Somehow, Maynard kept it from spinning for half the corner, until he lost it, ending in the infeild . Which handed the lead to then running third Henderson. Perhaps the wet grass was slippery, but Maynard couldn&#39;t rejoin as quickly, and that was his race. Harding on the other hand rejoind quickly, and with only a few laps left, mounted a charge. At the finish he was less than a car length off Hendersons E46 BMW rear bumper.

It seemed to me that the top 5 cars each ran in 1st, 2nd, 3rd , 4th or 5th place at one point during the race.

It&#39;s a real shame about the low turnout. I suppose the fact that the race was right between Pocono and NHIS didn&#39;t help, plus the LRP Friday mandatory situation, plus the entry fee conspired to hurt entries. Not good for the Region. I wonder if the date might be lost forever, if the Region can&#39;t take the risk again....

Andy Bettencourt
05-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Jeff Harding has gottten the handle of Nicks old RX-7...[/b]

Just as a point of fact, that is a brand new car constructed for Jeff by Nick after Jeff hit the oil at the NARRC Runoffs and bent the old 04.

It&#39;s a real shame about the low turnout. I suppose the fact that the race was right between Pocono and NHIS didn&#39;t help, plus the LRP Friday mandatory situation, plus the entry fee conspired to hurt entries. Not good for the Region. I wonder if the date might be lost forever, if the Region can&#39;t take the risk again.... [/b]

This is true. On a side note, kudos to MoHud for really providing top VALUE at this event for this venue. Yes, LRP events are big money but this was indeed a double. The first at the track since...when? MoHud combined the smaller run-groups in a logical fashion and extended sessions by a HUGE amount. 25 minute qualifiers and 20 lap races...

3 doubles in a row is TOUGH.

Congrats to Tim K with his second win this year and to Joe D. with a strong 2nd. He raced hard and I had no way to get by in the damp/drying conditions on rain tires.

Doc Bro
05-20-2007, 12:12 AM
I&#39;ll tell ya. The region did a great job this weekend. They tried hard to reward those who showed. Thanks....much appreciated. The understated comments of the weekend. Dave Maynard passing Wright for the lead....if you were there you appreciate how hard Dave worked only to get taken out. He was well on his way to a great win. The ITS races were probably the best of the weekend. Holy smoke this guy Wilson Wright can drive. Props to Dave for hanging right with him!!

Thanks to all my friends for "having my back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" God what an awful weekend for the #36.

"Jack"

Tkczecheredflag
05-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Needless to say my face muscles are sore from all the smiling. :D A good weekend for the CPM Motorsports #11. First, I have to say, there were days that I thought I would never win an ITA race. The racers in our class have some of the best prepared cars and demonstrate some of the best driving skills I have had the opportunity to race against and be a part of. You guys are ALL great!

The morning session seemed "soupy" enough to go with a wet set up. Since we run the Hoosier Wets (intermediates really), I felt it was safe to run the wet set up. I got a decent start from the P-4 grid and as we came by the first time Richie H over cooked T-1 which gave me the lead. Steve Gorriaran&#39;s SSM was the "rabbit" to chase but I have to tell you my mirror was full of Crazy Joe, Andy B, and Richie H, as well as the SSM of Darrell LaPoint, that&#39;s were the work was. Crazy Joe grabbed the lead on about lap five going into to Big Bend but braked a bit early while I was trying to take a run on him in the uphill, so I was able to take back the lead. The race line dried up and became the preferred line and the Hoosiers, although thirsty for a drink, held up really well on the dry line - I not sure if how the Dirt Stokers would have faired - Joe D might want to chime in as he was on DS. Our group was nose to tail the entire race so with one to go I decide to use my secret weapon - I started to pray. I have to say that Crazy Joe ran a great race - He had his mirror full and keeping those other guys busy allowing me to breath for a moment at times. Thanks Joe for a great race. Richie had a couple of opportunities to "punt" me and he too raced me clean door handle to door handle through Big Bend - Ya Mon. Darrell, I hope I let you run your race too - Also ran me very clean.

The afternoon presented some mechanical challenges. The syncro has been crunchy in third gear for several races and decided this was the race to say "enough already." About lap six I was coming through the left hander, station four was hanging a waving yellow - I lifted a bit and the car suddenly "stood up" as I squeezed on the throttle - I popped out of third gear. I thought I hit the shifter with my knee but the problem occurred again a couple of laps later - very unsettling. So I had to hold the shifter in third and one hand the left hander - that didn&#39;t help as Richie H was putting me in his cross hairs. I opened up for Richie with about eight to go and he took P-2. It gets better. I continue to chase Richie and with about five to go I developed a vibration in the uphill and downhill - and with three to go the car is shaking like and old B-52 bomber coming in for a crash landing after being all shot up. I can see the score board and it says one lap to go but it was wrong as we did not see the "1" at start finish - I need to see the black and white wave but it doesn&#39;t come. We are still pushing hard despite loosing most of my teeth fillings (Robert B- I&#39;ll call you), I come into the uphill and I feel a pop - West Bend my steering wheel adjuster rattles loose, now I"m shaking, rattling and the steering wheel is going up and down as we go down the hill - no one is coming so I coast the #11 to the finish and checkered flag in P-3 - cool down and go to impound - here we find one popped stud, two loose lugs barely on and one holding it all together - talk about driving the wheels off the car - we got very lucky. We had new wheels that had center rings - my guess is I did not seat them correctly and maybe we got a "false torque click" - we did get the click so go figure. Needless to say we were very happy with the third.

The car comes home in one piece, we got to hang a checkered flag and grab a third, and beer glass trophies to celebrate. Thanks to Carol and Jerry Miller, the heart and soul of CPM Motprsports and to Ken Schielke my Crew Chief and right hand - what a team! :OLA:

Also, I tip my hat to Mo-Hud for everything they did to make their financially bad situation a great weekend for the racers who showed. I know LRP is a steep fee but Mo-Hud offered us a double that was real and I want to do my best to support the NARRC regions that feed our habit. We all know it costs money to race and it doesn&#39;t grow on trees but I don&#39;t see race tracks popping up like dandelions so I figure I have to do what I can to support the venues we have - I do not understand the "cut off our nose to spike our face" thinking - LRP is a fact of life - IMO.

Next week we are crewing for Davis Motorsports Grand Am Team so we are a question mark for NHIS - Good luck to all if we don&#39;t see.

Congrats to Andy for his win, and Richie H and Crazy Joe.

dpc
05-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks to all drivers that supported MoHud in there attempt to at least break even. From what I heard this past weekend we are not the only region in this $ boat that is sinking. There was some of the best racing that I have seen this season, the ITS race was tops. dave

raffaelli
05-20-2007, 08:28 AM
I walked around the paddock most of the day. The on and off rain sure was annoying, but it made for a fun race with Wright and Driscoll.

Thank you to everyone who let me me look around their cars.

Andy B nice to meet you and thanks for explaining your operation to me and my two friends.

TimM ITB
05-20-2007, 09:28 AM
can anyone post the results for the ITB races? thanks.

tim m

Dave Patten
05-21-2007, 08:32 AM
"Holy smoke this guy Wilson Wright can drive."

Wilson started racing in Improved Touring in an ITA RX2 in the late 1980&#39;s early 90&#39;s. He is also a three (3) time National Champion in GT4.

Yes, this guy Wilson Wright can drive!

itracer
05-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Erik Langelius, 1:18.513 Who???
[/b]

From previous results it looks like an ex-ITA Civic. :o

Greg Amy
05-21-2007, 10:12 AM
From previous results it looks like an ex-ITA Civic.
[/b]
&#39;Tis. Yellow.

gran racing
05-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I had the pleasure of having lunch with Wilson Wright, and Erik. Oh yeah, Richie and Jake G. were there too. LOL Nice guys.

I enjoyed watching Wilson out there! Now that&#39;s a racer who knows his racecraft.

I couldn&#39;t help but shake my head thinking "not again!" when seeing Richie and Erik&#39;s cars. A few years ago, when they would roll up in Richie&#39;s truck we knew we were in trouble. This all reinforces that I really better step-up my game if I want to be near the front of ITB this year. On a green track, Erik was doing 1:04.5s. Ut oh! I do have to say that he appears to be a very clean driver who we can feel comfortable running door-to-door with. Should be a fun and interesting year.

Greg Amy
05-21-2007, 10:41 AM
I couldn&#39;t help but shake my head thinking "not again!" when seeing Richie and Erik&#39;s cars...This all reinforces that I really better enter a race every once in a while if I want to be near the front of ITB this year.
[/b]
Fixed that for you...

;)

gran racing
05-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Very true! I just spoke with Koni and my new suspension should arrive just in time for the June LRP race. (I&#39;m keeping my fingers crossed) :D

dominojd
05-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks to Tim, Richie, and Andy that had to be one of the most fun races I have ever been in. To run that close for that long and not have one bit of contact will attest to the talent of the drivers I was privledged to race with. I hope the rest of the season is as close as this one if not closer.

Tim mentioned my Dirt stockers. As far as the dirt stockers I only fried the left front it was a slick on the inside shoulder. The others were a little feathered but still in great shape. I was really surprised.

FYI If I did the math right NARRC points are as follows:

Bettencourt 61

Klavana 52

DiMinno 52

Greg Amy
05-21-2007, 05:48 PM
...close as this one if not closer...[/b]
I think you&#39;ve got that part down pat, Joe...my rear bumper can attest to it...

;)

Tkczecheredflag
05-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks to Tim, Richie, and Andy that had to be one of the most fun races I have ever been in. To run that close for that long and not have one bit of contact will attest to the talent of the drivers I was privledged to race with. I hope the rest of the season is as close as this one if not closer.

Tim mentioned my Dirt stockers. As far as the dirt stockers I only fried the left front it was a slick on the inside shoulder. The others were a little feathered but still in great shape. I was really surprised.

FYI If I did the math right NARRC points are as follows:

Bettencourt 61

Klavana 52

DiMinno 52
[/b]
We did have fun Joe. I am looking doubtful for NHIS - Helping Davis Motorsports with the Grand Am thing.

So, the door is open, all are welcomed, please step in.

Who said we are the "good ole boys"?

dominojd
05-21-2007, 06:44 PM
We did have fun Joe. I am looking doubtful for NHIS - Helping Davis Motorsports with the Grand Am thing.

So, the door is open, all are welcomed, please step in.

Who said we are the "good ole boys"?
[/b]

I guess it&#39;s all up to Andy. I&#39;ll be at LRP crewing for Famous Phil Parlato. :)