PDA

View Full Version : diesel at truck stops for pickups?

tom91ita
05-17-2007, 08:10 PM
i stopped at a shell station based on the price of diesel and they did not have a pump that my dually and enclosed trailer would fit at so i pulled around back to the truck stop area.

not sure if i needed a multi axle permit to get this, i pulled to a far pump out of view of the cashier behind other rigs.

cool, this is not a prepay and i pull out the hose and note the nozzle size. i was able to fill up by keeping the nozzle pointed carefully and there was minimal spray but not i would want to do on a regular basis. the id of the nozzle was about the same as the OD of the hole on filler neck.

anyone else ever fill up at true truck stop pumps?

x-ring
05-18-2007, 08:39 AM
What kind of truck do you have, and does it have some sort of restrictor in the filler neck? Maybe like an unleaded gas plate?

My '97 F350 will take those big truck nozzles without any problem.

tom91ita
05-18-2007, 08:44 AM
it is a 1999 Ford F350 DRW. i bought it used about 2 year ago.

the nozzle neck is larger than a gasser. in fact, it reminds me of the "modified" unleaded nozzles that some people had when unleaded first started. not really homemade but larger than typical.

but the truck nozzle would not fit but it was not far from it.

have you had your truck since new?

planet6racing
05-18-2007, 09:46 AM
My 99 F250 is the same as Tom's - has a restrictor at the top like the unleaded for cars, but with a bigger whole. It will not accept the larger nozzles. I've very much considered removing this, as it would make life a lot easier than having to drive around to find a pump with "Auto Diesel."

I've seen some of the newer Fords at pumps that I couldn't use.

JeffYoung
05-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Isn't some of what they sell at the "big rig" pumps low sulphur as opposed to the new ultra low sulphur and technically illegal in non commercial vehicles?

tdw6974
05-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Isn't some of what they sell at the "big rig" pumps low sulphur as opposed to the new ultra low sulphur and technically illegal in non commercial vehicles?
[/b]
Our 2005 Dodge will take the Large Nozzle (2.98 per gal this am) The Ultra Low Sulphur is Now Mandatory for all Diesel Fuel The 2007 Trucks are designed to use only ULS We have started using an additive for additional lubrication(maybe just witches brew) that is lost with the ULS fuel. TW :eclipsee_steering:

JeffYoung
05-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I have an 07 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins, but is a 5.9. The big nozzles fit fine, and I can use low sulphur (not ultra low) since I have the 5.9 and don't have the particulate filters the 6.7 has.

But, I just thought it was illegal at this point to put low sulphur and not ultra low in a non-commercial vehicle?

What additive are you using? The Dodge tech boards seem split on whether ultra low sulphur will be a problem or not.

tom_sprecher
05-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Must be the older Fords have the restricted filler opening since my '04 F250 has never had a problem with the "big" hose. I just wish the pumps at truck stops took credit cards like the pumps at the auto islands do. Sure would save a lot of time.

DavidM
05-18-2007, 02:06 PM
I always fill up at the big truck stop pumps when on the road pulling the trailer. Much easier than trying to squeeze into one of the car spots. There's nothing wrong with doing it and you'll fill up a lot faster. Sometimes they have phones where you "call" the cashier first. Just tell them you're a private party. They also have air hoses if you need to top off a tire. Just make sure you follow trucker etiquette - when you're done fueling pull your truck up to the white line then go in and pay.

The early 99 F350s had a smaller fuel hole for whatever retarded reason. Go to www.thedieselstop.com and search for the harpoon mod. Several people have done this to allow their trucks to accept the big pumps.

David

What additive are you using? The Dodge tech boards seem split on whether ultra low sulphur will be a problem or not.
[/b]

I use the Stanadyne additive. They're one of the more reputable companies.

David

x-ring
05-18-2007, 06:13 PM
it is a 1999 Ford F350 DRW. i bought it used about 2 year ago.

the nozzle neck is larger than a gasser. in fact, it reminds me of the "modified" unleaded nozzles that some people had when unleaded first started. not really homemade but larger than typical.
[/b]

I checked the powerstrokes in the parking lot here at work over lunch. It looks to me like Ford put that thing in the filler of all the F250/350's from maybe '99 to the end of the 7.3 (2003?). There's one F550 here and a couple of F450's and they're open.

have you had your truck since new?
[/b]

No, I&#39;m way too cheap to buy new <_< but there is one employee owned &#39;97 F250 here that&#39;s still in the original owner&#39;s hands. He said his is open.

Conover
05-20-2007, 10:13 AM
2000 F250
and 2001 f350 both open.

I prefer the big pumps too, the faster fueling is awesome!

dropkick317
05-20-2007, 10:51 AM
My 99 F350 has the smaller hole but, that is something I&#39;m going to change. I stopped at a Citgo truck stop on my way to Grattan last year and the pumps filled at 30+ gal/min and had the smaller hose. The worker there told me that those were the slow pumps and that other truck stops filled at 40+ gal/min.

Also for all you Ford guys, I highly suggest Motorcraft cetane booster this stuff works really good. Using the cetane booster and getting a reflash I gained 5 mpg.

mlytle
05-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Must be the older Fords have the restricted filler opening since my &#39;04 F250 has never had a problem with the "big" hose. I just wish the pumps at truck stops took credit cards like the pumps at the auto islands do. Sure would save a lot of time.
[/b]

yeah, i found what ever time was gained by the faster fill was more than lost by having to go inside to pay. if given the option, i just fill at the auto pumps now...i can also fill the spare gas cans for the race car while there.

Conover
05-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Also for all you Ford guys, I highly suggest Motorcraft cetane booster this stuff works really good. Using the cetane booster and getting a reflash I gained 5 mpg.
[/b]

That&#39;s an amazing gain! What software did you get?

Dave Burchfield
05-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Look for the Flying J truck stops to get fuel. Whenever I am traveling in the motorhome, I always use them for the following reasons:

1. They have specific islands for motorhomes/tow rigs with diesel that are pay at the pump
2. You can get a discount card for fuel at no charge(for the card, not the fuel)
3. All their truck stops are listed on their website along with fuel prices so you can plan where to stop and get fuel as well as know what to expect to pay before you leave.
4. They have separate areas for motorhomes/tow rigs that are away from the truck where you can park and sleep for as long as you wish at no charge.

I also have found them to be quite accommodating.

tdw6974
05-20-2007, 06:18 PM
We have been using the C tane additive. Anyone one using some of the Tuners? have been looking at the predator. T weaver

Conover
05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Flying J, sounds like a good place to check out.

I&#39;ve been thinking about trying out the BullyDog, I can get a sample flash at the local dealer and see how it goes. What I&#39;d like to see is an increase in fuel mileage while towing, the F350 with the enclosed trailer is only getting around 9MPG. It would be nice to increase that a little, and It could use a little help with the shifting on the Automatic.

Anyone got any experience with the software tuners?

Where&#39;s Greg Amy? I want to point out to him that Diesel is Cheaper than Gas!

Greg Amy
05-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Where&#39;s Greg Amy? I want to point out to him that Diesel is Cheaper than Gas!
[/b]
Right here, reminding you that while I may get 7mpg towing, \I paid $9,000 for a 29k mile 15-passenger, 1-ton van...

;)

Conover
05-20-2007, 10:02 PM
so how far do you have to drive that van until it catches you up on the price?

say compared to my 16K 149K mile dually getting 9 currently. . .

what&#39;s the equation for that?

I know one thing, "there are too many variables"

Conover
05-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Allright I&#39;m working on it, so far we got a $7k advantage for you, so 7K worth of gas at an average of $3 is 2333.3 gallons worth of gas.

So If I get an extra two miles per gallon I can save 2333.3 gallons in Uh, , ,

This is really wicked confusing, I give up!

then you have to count for personal preference, now that just screws everything up!!!

JLawton
05-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Right here, reminding you that while I may get 7mpg towing, \I paid $9,000 for a 29k mile 15-passenger, 1-ton van...

;)
[/b]

And been whining about how much he hates it since he bought it........... :rolleyes:

Greg Amy
05-21-2007, 06:49 AM
And been whining about how much he hates it since he bought it........... :rolleyes:
[/b]
Au contraire! I *love* the van and the V-10, that&#39;s why I won&#39;t sell it. The problem is, my eyes get too big and I keep putting in more SHAT to overload it. If I&#39;d show a little "discipline"...

Jeff&#39;s one to complain... ;)

[/b]
Do it in dollars per mile, makes it easy.

7mpg @ 3.25 $$/gal = .4643 $/mi
9mpg @ 3.05 $$/gal = .3389 $/mi
Delta = .1254 $$/mi

Purchase price difference divided by .1254 = ??? miles (considering *just* fuel).

dickita15
05-21-2007, 07:48 AM
or using the $7000 price difference and fuel and mileage numbers cited 55821 miles

tom_sprecher
05-21-2007, 09:29 AM
so how far do you have to drive that van until it catches you up on the price?

say compared to my 16K 149K mile dually getting 9 currently. . .

I know one thing, "there are too many variables"
[/b]

I get more like 12 mpg when towing and when not 18 on the highway AND driving the speed limit. The purchase price on the other hand could have bought almost 5 of Greg&#39;s van. :o

When I bought it the break even mileage was about 45k. Then Katrina and the Waves and futures traders jacked the price of diesel above that of gas. Now it back to where it should be. I paid $2.59 last week. :)

tdw6974
05-21-2007, 10:36 AM
I paid $2.59 last week. HMMMM We are at 2.87 to 2.97 per Gal :( That was 2 hours ago may have changed by now :eclipsee_steering:

tom_sprecher
05-21-2007, 11:11 AM
I paid $2.59 last week. HMMMM We are at 2.87 to 2.97 per Gal :( That was 2 hours ago may have changed by now :eclipsee_steering:
[/b]

We have some of the lowest fuel taxes in the nation.

mlytle
05-21-2007, 10:10 PM
We have been using the C tane additive. Anyone one using some of the Tuners? have been looking at the predator. T weaver
[/b]

if you have a ford, it seems the SCT (NOT "superchips") tuner is the only way to go. hang on fordtrucks.com for a bit and you will see thread after thread on tuners and the SCT is always on top. places like https://www.shop.lidiesel.com/displayProduc...&categoryId=142 (https://www.shop.lidiesel.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=217&categoryId=142)
do custom tune files for towing/econo/power/racing. my f250 psd is still under warranttee, so no tuners for me for a while. diesels are too expensive to fix to risk voiding the warranttee.

i use diesel kleen cetane additive. works great.

tdw6974
05-21-2007, 11:01 PM
if you have a ford, it seems the SCT (NOT "superchips") tuner is the only way to go. hang on fordtrucks.com for a bit and you will see thread after thread on tuners and the SCT is always on top. places like www.lipd.com do custom tune files for towing/econo/power/racing. my f250 psd is still under warranttee, so no tuners for me for a while. diesels are too expensive to fix to risk voiding the warranttee.

i use diesel kleen cetane additive. works great.
[/b]
No Ford Dodge 2500 Cummins 5.9L