PDA

View Full Version : Limerock rooky seeking advicve

jimalley
05-15-2007, 07:24 PM
I am a not only a rooky to Limerock but a fairly new racer who is headed to Limerock this week. Here is the challenge to the all you IT racers who are part of the "Good Old Boy's Club". Who wants to volonteer to coach this rooky on the art of getting around Limerock :D

Seriously I would appreciate any tips or advice any of you that will be there can share with me. It will also be nice to put faces to the names.

lateapex911
05-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Help us out with a name, and a car and class.

Lime Rock is a bit intimidating, due to the lack of run off room, and the need to hit the higher speed corners "just right". Concentrate on the basics, and don't early apex in the back if you can help it. It's all about momentum and a few extra lifts kill you.

But, lets hear what the real experts say....)

Andy Bettencourt
05-15-2007, 07:59 PM
If it's a Miata, I may be able to help... :D

jimalley
05-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Yes it is a Miata. It is a 1990 1.6

Jim Alley
1990 White Miata

Andy Bettencourt
05-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Find us in A paddock and we can discuss. Bring some brass ones!

dpc
05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
No brakes in the downhill......dave

gran racing
05-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Jim, Andy is the guy to speak with for Miata's at LRP. By any chance are you going to do the SCDA Friday and/or SCDA HPDE event? If so, I'd be more than willing to give you a hand. Yeah, I know, it's after the SCCA race this weekend.

jimalley
05-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Dave

I wish there was an SCDA event before the event to get some track time and aquaint myself with the track.

I will definatley look up Andy and seek out his advice. With me it will not about being up front fast, but be about being safe and smart.

I have been on the track once at a COM event, but my event was cut short as I lost it on the downhill and stuffed the car into the guardrail.

I will thank everyone in advance for your help.

What is a good time to get to the track on Thursday?

ner88
05-15-2007, 09:42 PM
You won't get in until registration opens.

RSTPerformance
05-15-2007, 11:36 PM
I have been on the track once at a COM event, but my event was cut short as I lost it on the downhill and stuffed the car into the guardrail.
[/b]

Lesson 1: Why did you stuff it in the Downhill???

Raymond "Understanding the car and why things happen is a key part to being successful and comfortable" Blethen

RKramden
05-16-2007, 02:30 AM
One of the people who used to be the chief instructor for the region used the same line all the time when asked this very question:

"Keep your wheels on the black stuff." :018:

JLawton
05-16-2007, 06:49 AM
There's plenty of video out there with IT racers. Watch 'em, watch 'em again, and again, etc..........

One thing they teach you at the car clubs is to brake into Big Bend with the wheels still straight (classic brake, turn in, feed the power). You can go MUCH deeper into Big Bend than you think, staying on the brakes until at least the bridge and using the turn to scrub speed.

But then again, after Pocono, I'm the LAST person you want advice from.............Yeah, talk to Andy.........

Tkczecheredflag
05-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Jim - If it rains, I use an interesting line (traditonal Skippy) that you might find helpful. We are usually in Paddock A.

gran racing
05-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Rim shots for everyone, with the exception of the left hander. ;)

jimalley
05-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the bits of information. Being a relatively new member of the ITA community it is nice to know there are competitors out there that are willing to reach out and help a fellow member.

To answer the question of how I lost it in big bend, the simple answer is brain fade and an expensive learning curve. I tapped the brakes lightly after turn in.

I look forward to saying hello to as many IT people as possible.

Doc Bro
05-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Jim, If you have an off in the downhill try to catch the car (keep it heading relatively straight) even if you have to turn left. If you can keep the car relatively straight you can run in the dirt on track left and still be okay. Don't try to do too many things at once if you've made a mistake in the downhill. You'll be surprised how badly you can lose it there and still be ok. You'll need spare shorts, but you'll be okay. The guys who ball it up bad there tend to try to correct too soon and end up crashing track right. If you do find it uncatchable then both feet in. Keep your crash to yourself!!! :D

R

jimalley
05-16-2007, 09:35 PM
If you do find it uncatchable then both feet in. Keep your crash to yourself!!! :D
R
[/quote]

That si the only thing I did right. I realized it was beyond hope and put two feet in.

I am looking forward to getting back on track and learning from others how to put down a respectable lap time :eclipsee_steering:

CKEvo
05-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Jim, I actually think I was at that COM event. That downhill is pretty scary, the track has gotten really bumpy the past few years. Best of luck out there, I have been there only 4 days, sadly enough, so there will be two rookies out there. Maybe some of the IT guys can show a dumb kid in Touring how it's done :)

benspeed
05-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Yo Rookie - these guys are forgetting the best advice - finish the race. If you're still learning the line and aren't at the point where you can put the car into a turn at maximum traction, just keep the eyes forward, watch the traffic and look for the leaders coming up in about 8 laps. Hold your line and let the leaders go around you - be predictable - do not make any fast lane changes to try and accomodate cars behind you. Sometimes those nice guy moves end up costing lots of $$.

This race should be about experiencing wheel to wheel without contact. It's very appreciated if you give a point by. Don't do any crazy stuff on the start - watch and learn - hold your line. Big bend collects cars who dart around looking for that one extra position in the first turn of a race.

You'll definitely have a couple of cars to dice with and really race. Do not try to flat foot the downhill - that's expensive advice. Whoever said that if you are losing it on the downhill was correct - straighten up and run through the dirt and don't try to jerk the car back on track until its settled.

Finish and your checkbook will thank you!

CKEvo
05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
One more dumb question... will LRP be open for car drop offs late tonight? I am leaving right after work but don't expect to be there until 8 or 9PM.

dickita15
05-17-2007, 12:49 PM
One more dumb question... will LRP be open for car drop offs late tonight? I am leaving right after work but don't expect to be there until 8 or 9PM.
[/b]

usually yes but every year something changes.

Andy Bettencourt
05-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Jim did great. Tough place to be for the first time with wet conditions!!! AWESOME!

jimalley
05-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Thank you Andy. That encouragement means alot to us new racers who are still trying to get comfoertable with the track and with other racers in my race group.

I never got comfortable with the track so concentrating on the track and keeping track of overtaking front-runners was a challenge in itself.

Most of you probably have long forgotten what is is like being 4 to 5 seconds off the pace :o

I really enjoyed myself and hope to gradually improve to where can complete a race without being lapped by the top 25% of the field.

benspeed
05-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Way to go on finishing in tough conditions - props to Jim!

lateapex911
05-21-2007, 10:51 AM
4 or 5 off the pace on Sat moring was nothing! If you stayed on the pavement and finished, pat yourself on the back. Nice job.

CKEvo
05-21-2007, 03:10 PM
The weekend was fantastic despite the weather. The ITA and ITS races were some of the best I have seen thusfar. Good job to everyone involved!

Also: Newman and his teammate are really fast. Yikes.