PDA

View Full Version : ITS RX7 with FM Engine??

CapnTuna
05-15-2007, 01:39 PM
What year rX7 should I buy so that race using a Formula Mazda 13b engine and be in conformance?
Thanks,
Bob

wlfpkrcn
05-15-2007, 02:04 PM
I believe that engine is a 4 port 13b. That should put you in GT2. I think they made the 13b legal in GT3 with a SIR and street porting. You would need to check the rules. Any year RX7 is legal in GT.

Chris Wire
05-15-2007, 03:27 PM
I think that you should be able to use the "short block", which would be the same as the 1985 GSL-SE. If the FM application uses dry sump and all that you would have to return it to a stock-type set up.

That model RX7 runs in ITS. It is not, however, very competitive here is SEDiv.

CapnTuna
05-15-2007, 04:46 PM
:eclipsee_steering: What do you think puts them at the low end of the class in performance. Weight to power ratio? Do you know about what HP they are running?
Bob

NCRX7RACER
05-15-2007, 09:08 PM
The gsl-se engine is 6 port not 4 port. I'm not sure if the formula engine is 4 port or not.

jrx13
05-16-2007, 12:10 AM
I was under the impression the formula mazdas run the rx-8/renesis motor.

bldn10
05-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Bob, why [and perhaps what] do you ask? Are you able to get a good deal on a FM engine or what?

Per the GCR FM can run either a 6-port 13B or the Renesis and they are built and sealed by SCCA-approved builders "with no modifications to the engine or any of its accessories or components."

Sounds to me like a pro-built ITS 13B would be faster.

wlfpkrcn
05-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Bob, why [and perhaps what] do you ask? Are you able to get a good deal on a FM engine or what?

Per the GCR FM can run either a 6-port 13B or the Renesis and they are built and sealed by SCCA-approved builders "with no modifications to the engine or any of its accessories or components."

Sounds to me like a pro-built ITS 13B would be faster.
[/b]

I was always under the impression a FM had a street ported 4 port. Thanks for the info!

seckerich
05-16-2007, 11:26 AM
If it is still sealed it will bring good money. Sell it and get a real motor built. Building a car around a motor is a sure way to failure. Used these bring about $2500 for spares.

CapnTuna
05-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the replies! I am currently crew (head goupie, wrench fetcher and rig driver) for a friend that races FM. I was at VIR this last weekend and just can't stand watching anymore. We were talking about a low cost way of getting me out on the track and thought maybe we could put his spare motor into an old RX7 that I could buy cheap with no motor. I'm talkin' like $500 cheap. The RX7 ITS chart shows (13B) under it but the FM 13B is a 4 port engine. I'm not thinking that it will be a problem though. No one is going to protest me as long as I get out of everyones way! Later, as I learn more, I can start investing in the car more. So that's my plan, so far.

Oh, BTW, it is the old FM, not the Star Mazda FM. But it is indeed sealed.

CapnTuna
05-17-2007, 11:27 AM
I was just told that no 4-port non-turbo engines were available in US between 84-91. So I guess I can't do this.

NutDriverRighty
05-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Since you're already a rotor-head, could I interest you in a 1st gen ITA/IT7 car? I can't do the $500 thing, but Captain Who and I have a good entry-level package that finished 2nd in class in the SARRC race at CMP April 1st. Fresh rebuild by Sunbelt/OPM/Dale Caldwell, spare car, spare tranny, rains, spare wheels/tires, and the list goes on. PM me or Captain Who if you're interested (or anyone else, for that matter!)

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org
ITA/IT7 and SPU
CCR of SCCA

tom_sprecher
05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I was under the impression the formula mazdas run the rx-8/renesis motor.
[/b]

The newer ones might but FM has been around for quite some time now vs. the renesis which is only a few years old.