PDA

View Full Version : Patch, Plug, or "Don't go there!"

Davis
05-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Last weekend, during a practice session on a set of new Kumho 710's I picked up a small (1/8") self tapping screw. The puncture is in the center of the "tread" so could be plugged or patched. Is a race tire ever repaired or is that a "flat" out bad idea? Is the tire just "screwed"?

If it's okay to do a repair, is one method better than the other?

charrbq
05-13-2007, 03:27 PM
I've seen it done with an autocross car, but never on a race car. Tubes are definitely a no-no. Even though plugs are supposed to work, I'd be afraid to trust them.

Doc Bro
05-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I think plugs are out. Local Firestone won't even do them. They patch only.

R

joeg
05-14-2007, 07:25 AM
Plugs work just fine.

It's a DOT tire for cryin out loud.

Been there and done it; no problem.

Actually, the most embarrassing one was a formula V driver using his car's tire as a work table. Add his cordless drill and Voila...instant need for a tire plug--which worked just fine.

Only use in tread area (and more to the center)

zchris
05-14-2007, 10:28 AM
I have plugged slicks and never had a problem. Even ran one down to the cords on a plug.
Chris

JIgou
05-14-2007, 02:58 PM
I've run a plugged Toyo to the cords with no issues.

The tire guy who plugged it told me about a FF driver who drove over a piece of steel mesh that led to a dozen or so plugs in his tire, with no issues.

Jarrod

CRXsi
05-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Plugs could work but I am anal...On my car I only use what is called a Plug'n'patch. Essentially it is a typical patch but from the center has a plug with a metal end. You prep the inside the same as for a patch but when installing you thread the metal needle through the hole. This ensures the hole is plugged but the structural integrity of the repair is excellent because you have reinforced the area with the patch portion and rarely will they leak after this repair.

Davis
05-26-2007, 01:15 AM
Update. I had a patch put on the tire. Ran the tire last weekend....testing Friday; practice, qualify, race Saturday; practice, qualify, race Sunday. Track temps. well over 100. Took the tire off today. Everything worked and looked good.

Thanks everyone for your replys.

Daryl DeArman
05-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Must have just been me. I tried a patch on a bias ply slick before and it din't work well at all. The tire guy (at the track) did the patch for me on the BRAND NEW tire that picked up a huge cotter pin in the paddock while still on stickers. :( Didn't realize it until it went flat on the grid.

Upon disassembly of the tire/wheel the tire guy suggested that as the tire heated and cooled the patch material didn't expand/contract at the same rate and therefore parted ways.

I am glad it worked out for you, but a new tire cost a whole bunch less than a flat on track can do for your weekend and car.

Knestis
05-26-2007, 09:17 PM
I've plugged lots of race tires - on everything from a 100cc Yamaha kart to a Super Vee. No problems, ever. I'd do that before a patch. On a DOT race radial? I think it's a wash between plug or patch, assuming it's just a poke in the tread area.

K