PDA

View Full Version : Convertible BBS Wheel

mbuskuhl
05-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I run the convertible BBS wheel shown below. I can't figure out why they aren't used more often with 2nd Gens and perhaps I'm placing myself in some measurable disadvantage and just don't know why. Why aren't these used and am I at a disadvantage for running them? I have 14 of them!

I run 225/50/15 tires (Toyo or Kumho) with a 3/8" spacer and have longer wheel studs.

Pros:

1. Very inexpensive ($200/set or less)
2. Very lightweight at 11lbs (weight from rx7club.com)
3. Good looking wheel IMHO
4. 15" diameter
5. Good quality wheel (BBS)

Cons:
1. 6.5" width when max allowable is 7"

There is lots of pros and only one con that I can come up with. Is that .5" on width going to make that much difference on tire contact patch? I would think there is more difference in tire manufacturer and sizes than that .5" on wheel rim width. Where am I wrong?

http://www.car-part.com/images/interchange/thumbW64725.jpg

AntonioGG
05-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Can you really get them for $200/set? I kinda thought that any OEM BBS wheel (Mazda, BMW, etc.) went for good money on ebay. I believe the Miata wheels were like that and IIRC crashed auction cars with BBS wheels went for quite a bit more than other cars.

22timber
05-11-2007, 10:58 AM
I use the 'vert BBS wheels for my rains, which are 205's. The reason I don't use them for the dry tires is that they ar 6.5" wide. I use Hoosier 225/45/15 and I think I need the 7 inch width.

As far as the price, I've seen them go for $300+ a set, but that's for wheels in very good condition with center caps. I don't doubt that "not pristine" wheels without caps are $200 a set.

mbuskuhl
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Can you really get them for $200/set? I kinda thought that any OEM BBS wheel (Mazda, BMW, etc.) went for good money on ebay. I believe the Miata wheels were like that and IIRC crashed auction cars with BBS wheels went for quite a bit more than other cars.
[/b]

That's about my average cost per set. I have paid as little as $100/set (and that was with center caps!) and as much as $300 for a set. The center caps are what make them expensive which we don't want/need for racing anyways. I have sold the center caps for $30-$55 each on ebay when I got wheels with them.

Heck, there is a set right now on ebay for $100 with center caps and it's local with only 1 day left on the auction and no bids. I have 14 wheels already so I don't need anymore....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-RX-7-...sspagenameZWDVW (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-RX-7-2nd-Gen-BBS-convertible-wheels_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66481QQihZ019QQi temZ290113295166QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Black91n/aRX-7
05-13-2007, 08:08 PM
In a sport where tens, hundreds and even thousandths of a second can be the difference between victory and second place, that little difference in traction with the wider wheel can make the difference.

Especially on a 225/45/15, that extra width will really help put more rubber down.