PDA

View Full Version : New to game need

RX MAD
05-11-2007, 09:03 AM
I have a ITB 1980 Mustang and I need some info on tires, i know there is a ton of things to know but I am just starting out and seat time is all I am worried about right now. but choosing a good type, brand and size that won't break the bank to start out with would be nice. I know a lot of things factor in weight, temp etc. but how long on the average do you get out of a set of tires?

gran racing
05-11-2007, 10:08 AM
For someone new to the game and on a budget, I think Toyo Proxes are an excellent option. They're not as fast as other types of tires, but the do last for a long time.

Gary L
05-11-2007, 10:33 AM
First things first... what size are the wheels? If they aren't 15's, you should consider finding some decently lightweight 15x6 wheels. You can run 13's, 14's, or 15's on the Mustang, but there is a larger variety of tires (new and used) available in 15 inch, by far.

You're in Oklahoma... whereabouts? I assume you'll be running at Hallett? If you haven't already, I would highly recommend running some COMMA weekends first, it's really cheap track time compared to SCCA.

fairgentleman Z
05-11-2007, 10:46 AM
If all you are worried about is seat time buy used. I usually pay $100-$150 per set of 4 with 50% or more life remaining.

RX MAD
05-11-2007, 11:55 AM
The Plan is to run at Hallet and I am in process of joining Comma and starting in the HST program.

Gary L
05-11-2007, 01:16 PM
The Plan is to run at Hallet and I am in process of joining Comma and starting in the HST program. [/b] Great - Look forward to seeing you there! I make it to most COMMA weekends, at least the Sunday program. My brother and I share one of the raceports just south of the grandstands, I think it's # 17/18, but don't quote me on that! He has a Formula Continental and I obviously run the Volvo shown in my avatar.

RX MAD
05-11-2007, 01:19 PM
I think I have heard of you, it's a good thing, I bought JJ's old mustang #14