PDA

View Full Version : i need more class

242volvoITB
05-07-2007, 08:48 PM
i run a volvo 242 in the ITB class .what other class can i run it in? i would like to race in two groups.can a car be added to a group?

Gary L
05-08-2007, 02:36 AM
Are you wanting to run at the pointy end of the (additional) class, or just get seat time? If the former, I would say you're hosed; but if the latter, don't you guys in the great NW run an ITE class... or are the ITE guys already in your run group?

planet6racing
05-08-2007, 08:44 AM
D Prepared!!! But, be sure to check to see what group that runs with. For the June Sprints, DP runs with T1 and AS (YIKES!!), so I'm electing not to run...

RSTPerformance
05-08-2007, 09:11 AM
D Prepared!!! But, be sure to check to see what group that runs with. For the June Sprints, DP runs with T1 and AS (YIKES!!), so I'm electing not to run...
[/b]

I think that Volvo is older than 1990... :bash_1_: DP is out :(

Raymond

Gary L
05-08-2007, 09:46 AM
I think that Volvo is older than 1990... :bash_1_: DP is out :(

Raymond [/b]

I can confirm that... the 2 door version of the 240 disappeared at the end of the 1984 production year. And the car appears to have round headlamps, which makes it even older - 1980 or earlier. DP is most definitely not an option. :(

planet6racing
05-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Whoops! Forgot about that part of the rule... Sorry about that!

ed325its
05-08-2007, 05:47 PM
On a regional basis you could also run the car in the apprpriate Production or GT class. It won't be up front but it would be classed.

242volvoITB
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
in ITB im 180lbs light so i was thinking Production .im new to racing and when i was building the car i thought i would be over on weight. when i found out is was light i though whats 180lbs :rolleyes: after 2 track days 3 schools and 5 races . 180lbs is alot.

thanks for the help

Gary L
05-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Now that you've brought my attention to it, I would be of the opinion the two ITCS line entries for the early Volvo 240's ('75 and '76-'81) are severely out of whack on weight. I can't think of any valid reason why they should weigh 140 pounds more than the ubiquitous 140 series (2780 vs 2640). This is especially true of the '75, which is powered by the same engine as the 140 but with 8.7 compression instead of 10.5. :blink: To top it off, the 140's have double A-arm front suspension and the 240's have struts. The brakes are essentially the same, and the 140's and 240's all share pretty much the same sleek aerodynamic package. :D

Since there are very few of them being run in ITB, I suspect these two lines were not scrubbed last year when the ITAC looked at weights. IMO, the '76-81 should be at about the same weight as the 140's, and the '75 should be even less.

lateapex911
05-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Interesting. Your theory is correct. With hundreds of cars in the ITCS, there are those that slipped through the "Big Re-org". I suggest you drop a line to the ITAC, at [email protected] and suggest a review of the spec line.

The ITAC will run the numbers and discuss the result. If the numbers say it's overweight, then it should get an adjustment.

(NOTE! Just to be clear, this is NOT a competition adjustment. It's merely cleaning up and getting things to line up with the process as much as is reasonable, and there is no guarantee that this car will or will not get an adjustment. Only that it will get the process run on it.)

Gary L
05-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Too-Fatty-Two Volvo ITB :lol: you're the one with the ax to grind here. But if you wish, I'll submit something to the board.

itmanta
05-13-2007, 09:45 PM
in ITB im 180lbs light so i was thinking Production .im new to racing and when i was building the car i thought i would be over on weight. when i found out is was light i though whats 180lbs :rolleyes: after 2 track days 3 schools and 5 races . 180lbs is alot.

thanks for the help
[/b]

Wa Wa Wa. Come on Tony "they" said 240's would never be competative. Don't give up so fast. Write a letter, get a weight adjustment. It is very arguable and I am sure there are people on this forum that will suggest some "language" for you.

242volvoITB
05-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Too-Fatty-Two Volvo ITB :lol: you're the one with the ax to grind here. But if you wish, I'll submit something to the board.
[/b]
so i send a email too [email protected] ? if they do change the weight will i have to wait a year? that wont be a big deal i think i can only run one more race this year. :( im just mad i dont get to race you in the manta peter.the car handled like you were sitting shotgun.

rsportvolvo
09-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Any progress on reducing the Volvo 240's curb weight? Several folks who run/ran 242's were all seriously underweight.

Travis Kijowski (MARRS)
Steve Alander (SARRC?)
Ernie Williams (MARRS)

Not sure what Jonathan's ITB 242 weighs, but I recall him mentioning it being light too.

These folks aren't even running the aluminum hood, trunk and gearbox cases.

My 242 weighed @ 2840 with full interior, A/C, etc.

rsportvolvo
01-06-2009, 12:29 AM
I just sent an email to the ITAC about the Volvo 240 in ITB. We'll see what they come back with.

Knestis
01-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Particularly for older or more obscure cars, remember that it's VERY helpful if you include technical information for the model(s)/year(s) in question.

K

rsportvolvo
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Particularly for older or more obscure cars, remember that it's VERY helpful if you include technical information for the model(s)/year(s) in question.

K

We're on the same page. I'm sending them completed VTS sheets for each line item.

itmanta
01-07-2009, 02:42 AM
I am glad you have made the effort David. Did you happen to add the 245's into a spec line?

rsportvolvo
01-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm including the 2/4/5 door models. So yes the wagon's will be included.

My main goal is correcting the errors. If the weight is reduced that will be a side benefit.

itmanta
01-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Sweet

242volvoITB
02-05-2009, 05:32 PM
any word

lateapex911
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
David, your letter hit our board, but our Volvo expert missed the con call, so it will be gone over next time, i hope.

I nearly missed your comments regarding the weight. your writing style was a bit vague, and you also had commentary about incorrect valve sizes, and inter Volvo parts changability.

I'll mention that the core of your letter is a request to run the process on the car.

rsportvolvo
02-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Jake,

I basically want to completely re-homologate the 240. There are multiple errors and inconsistencies that do not match Volvo's literature. I'm almost finished filling out the VTS forms. Completed VTS forms with Volvo literature to back it should make the ITCS Board's job much easier.

Personally I would like a lower race weight, but having correct info on the line items is my first priority.

Scooter
02-27-2009, 09:16 PM
To answer the original question, you should be able to run in Radial Sedan as well.

A catch-all class that only has a DOT tire rule as its basis. (No slicks, no formula cars)

It makes a good second class because you don't have to worry about whether or not your car is legal and you can keep it in IT trim.

rsportvolvo
04-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Jake,

Work sent me to South Korea on very short notice last month. With that in mind I won't be able to submit the revised VTS's until @ mid-August. Should I contact the CRB directly about this delay?

lateapex911
04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
We have the original request on our list, I'll just "table" it on Mondays con call and we'll readdress it when we get the full info. I think August will be ok..

rsportvolvo
07-05-2009, 01:45 AM
Well I received an email from an ITAC rep (Les Chaney) on July 1st requesting the Volvo info. I just sent him the Volvo info I have on hand. Hopefully this is enough info. My guess is the ITAC wants to close this issue and ship it out with the rest of the upcoming IT changes in the August Fastrack.

Charlie Broring
07-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Last weekend at Summit Point an ITB 242 qualified 2nd in class at 131.3 and won the Saturday race. Performance like that seems to indicate that the car is classified just fine as is.

Charlie

Knestis
07-05-2009, 09:30 AM
...and we are all absolutely sure that it's legal? And that all of the other cars in that race were equally prepared, were on brand new tires, tuned with extensive dyno time, tested to optimize set-up, and steered by equally talented drivers?

There's just no way that we can judge whether cars are classified correctly from the minute sample that we get on any given weekend. And we can't control for the hundreds of other factors OTHER THAN weight, that determine how competitive any given entry is on any given weekend.

K

CRallo
07-05-2009, 09:43 AM
...and we are all absolutely sure that it's legal? And that all of the other cars in that race were equally prepared, were on brand new tires, tuned with extensive dyno time, tested to optimize set-up, and steered by equally talented drivers?

There's just no way that we can judge whether cars are classified correctly from the minute sample that we get on any given weekend. And we can't control for the hundreds of other factors OTHER THAN weight, that determine how competitive any given entry is on any given weekend.

K

... at any given track...

this thread won't die!

lateapex911
07-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Last weekend at Summit Point an ITB 242 qualified 2nd in class at 131.3 and won the Saturday race. Performance like that seems to indicate that the car is classified just fine as is.

Charlie

I dunnoooooo.......sounds like an overdog to me Kirk, we better take a look at it!

rsportvolvo
07-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Charlie

Heck if they keep the heat on you may have to upgrade to the metric Volvo's! Sounds like a die-hard 142E pilot is skeered of the newer brick! It's too late as the ITAC is already reviewing the car's line items.

I'm in or have been in contact with almost every ITB 242 racer in the country. When it comes to the regulations the typical response is "what's the ITCS?"

Regardless there are some errors that need to be corrected. The "process" is just that. I just want the errors corrected and if the weight changes in my favor, great.

ericblois
07-07-2009, 02:04 AM
just what us faster bricks (ITA E30) need are more bricks to draft cant wait to see what they come up with for the ITB volvo's. you could also run it in SPU that puts you in group 1 to give time between session RS is in group 4 so not a good choice for a group 5 car.

Tuff240
08-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Any news?

rsportvolvo
08-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm back in the USA now and corresponding with Les Chaney. Les is still compiling and verifying the info. Give him some time as this is volunteer work.

Knestis
08-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Yup. This has turned out to be a case study in why it's a good idea to provide technical documentation with any request to the Board. Cars like this, that span a lot of years that encompass technological changes, are very challenging to get right.

One key issue that is emerging - as we try to be more consistent with our specification processes - is whether we're talking about one car (defined by an ITCS line) or multiple cars.

K

Streetwise guy
08-20-2009, 09:25 PM
One car, two different fuel injectors, two sets of brakes, three sizes of 4 cylinder engines, 4 if you count turbo, 5 if you run the PVR v6, 7 with the diesel.:eek:

Whats the holdup?:blink:

quadzjr
08-21-2009, 10:21 AM
what about just mulitple classings?

rsportvolvo
09-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I haven't seen any updates in the recent Fastracks and I haven't recieved anymore requests for Factory data. Anything I can do to help?